Author Topic: 2009: Worst Distribution Year Ever?  (Read 38093 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2009: Worst Distribution Year Ever?
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Slow sales of said product though is the reason they aren't ordering new.  Some of those stores have had that stuff in the back for 6-8 months.  There is no way it is still at the distribution centers since most stores are receiving new waves....they are just receiving less of it because they are ordering less
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:43 PM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2009, 02:32 PM »
I was at a WM the other day that actually had their 3 columns of pegs organized right, and it was really quite sad seeing a holo Sidious as the only Legacy figure, and the CW/Legends pegs jammed full of pegwarmers.  This unfortunately blows right now.

I think the only thing that hit here in good quantity is the Dewback...  and that's largely sold out (but is available online at WM.com site-to-store so technically it didn't).  Locally we're just sitting around and have empty pegs at many locations, some don't, waiting for anything even remotely new.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Just stopped in my local target.  They had 6 Cartoon figures (one on each peg), a couple dozen Legends figures (on the correct pegs, shockingly) and about 40 Legacy figures.  The only problem was that 37 of them where the Stormtrooper helmet card (Faie, both Organas, a couple Spacetroopers and a couple of the Cantina denizens).  That left room for three Legacy figures and they were all repacks. :(
I am not the Stig

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Because every year they hold a few new items so that they have something new to draw you in for the big post-Thanksgiving shopping weekend.  If they put them out now, you'd buy them and you might not come back.  By doling out things slowly, it keeps you coming back to the store again and again.  This is the way it's been at Target the past few years, it shouldn't be a surprise at this point they are holding the CW BPs and the SotE-inspired TIE Fighter for that weekend.

Ok, that sounds plausible enough. Seems like it would put a lot of pressure on on timely distribution of product though. Considering new stock arrivals vary weeks from store to store, they are cutting it pretty close, IMO.

Also, if the post-holiday weekend is such a draw, why are we getting the dewbacks and AT-ST's now? Doesn't that mean Walmart has pretty much blown their wad already? (so to speak) And TRU has all their exclusives out already as well.

I suspect there is probably some compelling marketing research to support NOT waiting as well.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2009, 03:29 PM »
From other conversations in this thread, I think Target's DC to shelf distribution is better suited/monitored to hold items back until the 11th hour.  I'd bet they start getting their stuff in about a week prior to Black Friday - that will be the time to hunt for them if you want to use the DPCI mind trick.  To Jeff's point, that has been their MO the past few years.

Not sure that I recall Wal-Mart doing anything like that.  Maybe they are holding back comic packs or other exclusives, but I think they tend to just put things out on the shelves with less discipline.  That's why we see AT-ST's stocked in the middle of a Sporting Goods aisle.  They are certainly timing their exclusives for November, but probably hoping to capitalize on both the early rush and the post Thanksgiving demand by getting their stuff out now. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2009, 08:55 PM »
I went to two different WM's today and saw 1 case of ROTS wave at one, and 2 cases of ROTS at the other.  While I was happy to see this I did have to wonder where the hell the ANH wave was (not to mention ROTJ but I had already seen plenty of that at Target).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03 PM »
I think a big part of it too is WM's never really been in a position where drawing people into the toy aisle has been an issue.  They're the ones the others are catching up to.  THey probably figure they're doing fine as is...  Their distribution is so hit & miss too, would every store be guaranteed that such and such is on the shelf for that specific date?  NOt likely with WM... 

Hell, Target locally is just putting the Geonosis Arena sets out NOW.  So they're not much better.  But at least you can almost guarantee every store has those in stock...  WM, not so much.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2009, 10:49 PM »
I think just blaming the economy is pretty simplistic.  I'm sure that many stores are seeing fewer sales and blaming the economy.  That in turn leads to fewer reorders and the distribution problem sprials downward.  However, when there's no new Legacy product for 4 months, there's obviously going to be lower sales, so blaming the economy is a cop out.  I'm sure the 4 old figures that were released a year prior made it seem like stores weren't completely out of inventory, but you can't sell what's not there.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2009, 11:03 PM »
As has been said a few times already, the pile up of waves is probably more due to factory time with all of GI Joe and Transformers taking precedence over anything Star Wars.  How little Marvel stuff has been new for the same amount of time?  Even worse than SW

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2009, 09:32 AM »
As has been said a few times already, the pile up of waves is probably more due to factory time with all of GI Joe and Transformers taking precedence over anything Star Wars.  How little Marvel stuff has been new for the same amount of time?  Even worse than SW

I think that's a totally fair assessment.  If so, I'd still blame Hasbro for making that decision - I wouldn't go away from my bread and butter to make way for a new line, even if it is supported by a movie.  None of that stuff sells as well as Star Wars.  That just further shows that the economy excuse is a cop out.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2009, 03:54 PM »
"That kid is BACK...on the escalator again!"

That is what popped into my head today, as a cry of frustration, disbelief and realization that Hasbro's 2009 plans for the Star Wars line can only end in bloody disaster no matter how many warnings they've been given.

What prompted this?  The THIRD ******* CASE OF 2008 WAVE 4 FIGURES STOCKED IN A MONTH at my Target!

**** **** **** **** **** ****.....****!!!!!!!! 

Somebody PM me a contact person at Hasbro that I can send a photo and store number to in order to try, once again, to get them to recognize their complete and utter failure at their jobs this year.   There is no reason why these cases should be in any pipeline for any retailer at this point.  This needs to be corrected.  Hasbro already knows that that particular wave KILLED them at retail this year and they still haven't completely addressed the issue if stores are still stocking these figures.  Nobody wants Bail, Breha or Stass Allie and not even Christmas shopping will move these figures.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2009, 03:56 PM »
"That kid is BACK...on the escalator again!"

Easy Banky  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Although we have still not seen the ANH or ROTS wave here in Los Angeles, I'm still not ready to call it the worst distribution year ever. I'll wait until after christmas to judge. A lot can happen between now and then.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Although we have still not seen the ANH or ROTS wave here in Los Angeles, I'm still not ready to call it the worst distribution year ever. I'll wait until after christmas to judge. A lot can happen between now and then.

I think that is somewhat fair to judge the year the way you are, but I also think that if one part of the country has to wait 3 months to see figs the other part saw earlier that you can add that to the worst distribution equation.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Yeah, there should be a steady influx of stuff coming in around December. It always happens. And hopefully the pegwarmers (Yarna, Plo Koon, Saessee...) clear off to make way for the new TLC product.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"