Author Topic: SDCC'10 Visionaries Maul & Owen Lars Comic Pack  (Read 42747 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
SDCC'10 Visionaries Maul & Owen Lars Comic Pack
« on: October 3, 2009, 10:01 PM »
From the Q&A At Sandtroopers:

Finally, the half-cyborg Darth Maul from Visionaries, with the cool lower torso, was a scratch from our coming pack line.  The good news is that he *will* be coming out next year as a Comic Con exclusive (still in the Comic Pack format but with a special treatment). The second figure has yet to be announced and we'll save that for an update next Spring.

Any guesses on the second figure in the pack?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:59 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: SDCC'10 Exclusive Visionaries Maul & ? Comic Pack
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2009, 10:31 PM »
I'd be really surprised if it wasn't Obi Wan.  I'm also surprised this particular pack was a scratch - I'd think it have more appeal to kids and collectors.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2009, 12:00 AM »
Well, Obi-Wan is certainly an easy addition, but Visionaries had a number of different stories, so there's lots to pick from.  This is a pretty far out guess, but one of the stories is about a young Rebel trooper on Hoth...what if they include Maul and the previously planned beardless Hoth trooper? 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2009, 01:52 AM »
I'd be really surprised if it wasn't Obi Wan.  I'm also surprised this particular pack was a scratch - I'd think it have more appeal to kids and collectors.

The problem was not so much the pack content but the entire Comic Pack SKU seems to be near dead from all Q&A's. Wasn't it a big hit not too long ago? Within the last 3 months comic packs stalled. Xizor struck back and peg warmed once more. I hope they get the Cammie/Fixer pack out the Noroghi and a Dash Rendar before this line croaks.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2009, 02:57 AM »

The problem was not so much the pack content but the entire Comic Pack SKU seems to be near dead from all Q&A's. Wasn't it a big hit not too long ago? Within the last 3 months comic packs stalled. Xizor struck back and peg warmed once more. I hope they get the Cammie/Fixer pack out the Noroghi and a Dash Rendar before this line croaks.

Some of the issues with the Comic Packs not selling well do occur to Hasbro's odd production and distribution schemes for the last year or so. The first 3 sets in the TLC Blue line were over-produced like seemingly everything else from that July 08 push - some stores you can still find many of these sets (Jack, I'm thinking the Golf Mill Wal-Mart) - and while they fit the Clone Wars theme of the time the sets were not overly interesting (to me at least) and contained mostly resculpts/refreshes. Then yes there was the Xizor pack which is still rotting in many stores, while the set is interesting it's the worse set of the 4 new ones from that wave (Thrawn/Karrde and the 2 Legacy sets) and it too was produced in high numbers though it contains a well known pegwarmer from years past and a female figure which historically is an indication for poorer sales. Also that set, much like the Thrawn/Karrde set, is not very action-oriented so it's less likely to sell to non-collectors. Then we get to the first wave of the TLC Red line where we get 3 great new outstanding sets, but the rest of the 8 set case assortment are re-releases of previous sets including Marvel comic sets which much to my chagrin were also not great sellers.

The comic packs are my favorite aspect of collecting today and I get excited to see new product hit, but if Hasbro is to maintain the line I think they will need to re-think their strategy on it. Limit the number of new sets made in a year, perhaps making them exclusives or lowering the number of sets per case, until such time where the market corrects itself and the comic packs become the hits that they were in 2007.  Unfortunately, history shows that Hasbro will likely scrap the line similar to what they've done in the past to Cinema Scenes and what they're currently doing to Evolutions. But hey, don't fret we'll still get Plo Koon and Saesee Tiin re-released in the SAGA Legends line for the 30th time...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Maybe they'll do a box set instead of a straight comic two-pack with one figure from each of the short stories, and include the full graphic novel?  They could do as Jman suggested and use that as a route to release the clean shaven HRS, cyborg Maul, a Bacta Tank Grievous, a new Wat Tambor, a super-articulated Palpatine/Sidious, a new Amidala, and a new Durge.  It would definitely fall under that "special treatment" mentioned in the Q&A response. 

Or, maybe they'll use this as the opportunity to do a real "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" pack using the Maul, a retooled "middle-aged" Obi-Wan, and new versions of (older) Owen, Beru, and toddler Luke?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Maybe they'll do a box set instead of a straight comic two-pack with one figure from each of the short stories, and include the full graphic novel?  They could do as Jman suggested and use that as a route to release the clean shaven HRS, cyborg Maul, a Bacta Tank Grievous, a new Wat Tambor, a super-articulated Palpatine/Sidious, a new Amidala, and a new Durge.  It would definitely fall under that "special treatment" mentioned in the Q&A response. 

Or, maybe they'll use this as the opportunity to do a real "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" pack using the Maul, a retooled "middle-aged" Obi-Wan, and new versions of (older) Owen, Beru, and toddler Luke?

Those are really great ideas. I'd prefer the first option if there was a choice available, just because it would cover a lot of characters. A few could even be kit-bashes or retools, so it wouldn't be too difficult for Hasbro to manage.

I think the exclusive will just be Maul and a graying Obi-Wan. One new figure and one retool seems pretty easy for Hasbro, and Hasbro likes the easy stuff. As for the special treatment? Probably some shiny text on the package. And a $25 price tag.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2009, 09:40 PM »
If they go with a character from one of the other Visionaries stories, I'd love to see a really good Darth Sidious from the "Sithisis" story.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2009, 01:31 AM »
I think I'd most like a version of Kenobi between ANH and ROTS...  It's an era that happened, just not really documented, so getting a figure of Kenobi in his years between the films would be really nice to me, actually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2009, 12:50 PM »
I think I'd most like a version of Kenobi between ANH and ROTS...  It's an era that happened, just not really documented, so getting a figure of Kenobi in his years between the films would be really nice to me, actually.

I'd kind of dig that too, for the exact reasons you mentioned.  It is a simple enough figure for them to do, and it would be a "new" version of Obi-Wan from an era that is largely unexplored.  As a fan of the character in general, I wouldn't mind seeing that as the "other" figure in this set.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 5, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I expect they'll make Obi-wan as he'd just be a slight update to the figure, so it's minimal cost to Hasbro. However, if they choose to do another character from Visionaries, I'd like to see this one:

The girl, not the Rancor

The link I got this from is JediJman's link: http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/news20050315.html
« Last Edit: October 5, 2009, 01:32 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 7, 2009, 01:55 AM »
I really am horrified at Hasbro's choice to scratch this set  :o I don't go to Comic-Con, so now I'm gonna have to look on the secondary market. *Sigh* Thus is the way of life ...  :-\

I'm actually thinking that Owen might be in this set. I don't really see how a character outside of "Old Wounds" would make it into this pack. I don't think either that Hasbro would include Beru, but maybe, just maybe Obi-Wan. 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 7, 2009, 02:09 AM »
I really am horrified at Hasbro's choice to scratch this set  :o I don't go to Comic-Con, so now I'm gonna have to look on the secondary market. *Sigh* Thus is the way of life ...  :-\

They typically offer these exclusives at HTS and SWS now within a few days of the show ending.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: October 7, 2009, 02:26 AM »
Even when the show's in full swing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: SDCC'10 Visionaries Maul & Owen Lars Comic Pack
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Looks like we finally have an answer here... Visionaries Maul and a new "old" Uncle Owen.  Looked like he re-uses the AotC Owen sculpt with a new head and a new paint job.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender