Author Topic: Which Clone Wars Figs Look okay when mixed in the Legacy Line?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
I really like some of the CW figs but none seem to fit in with the Legacy line.  I know they are animated sculpts but was hoping to fnd some to mix in. Any thoughts?

Hasbro did say that if they made any of these in the realistic style it would only be a few (Ashoka and Rex)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Which Clone Wars Figs Look okay when mixed in the Legacy Line?
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2009, 02:59 AM »
Hasbro answered a question for me back a while about the "look" of the line...  I asked it because there was some doubt on a rumor report I had posted prior to Toy Fair '08 where I had it from a good source of mine on the style these figures were going to be and whatnot.  And that they were going to be sculpted halfway between realistic and animated rather than completely one way or the other...  Hasbro wound up showing all 3 styles, which they'd submitted to LFL, of Anakin.  It was really quite interesting to see a completely animated, completely realistic, and the hybrid of the two Anakin we ultimately got.

Anyway, that said, I don't see a very realistic look to any of them save for the droids...  And they look like just different variant models of droids more than say 4-A7 looking like an RA-7 type droid at all.  I got 4A-7 because he just looked like some kind of variant prototcol droid...  That worked for me.  Same with IG-86 and I think I can live with Commando Droids as they are...

Not many of the human or alien characters look realistic at all to me though.  Ahsoka, sort of, but not quite really.  It's a big reason I don't even pick any of them up to try customizing them to a more realistic look.  If any organic character "fits", to me anyway, it's Assajj...  She's not terribly different from her realistic sculpts and really I find her a better figure overall than her realistic counterparts in one way or another.

Captain Argyus, who I've not seen in person yet, might work with a different headsculpt attached to the body.  The armor helps in ways that are similar to the way droids can pass as realistic.  It just looks like a different type of armor...  I wouldn't try mixing a phase 2 realistic Clone with a CW3D Clone and calling them the same armor, if that makes sense.  Argyus really doesn't have much in the realistic line to be compared to though, save for the Senate Guard figure.  One could always just say he's a Captain of the guard so his armor's unique (like a CLone Commander's).  Replacing that headsculpt would be tricky though, but there's a ton of generic heads floating around out there too, so it's not impossible.

EDIT:

By the way, I'd consider a repaint of some of Ahsoka's finer features, namely her eyes, to try and make her figure fit in better.  I'm not sure if replacing her arms or something might help.  I got Ahsoka for the baby Hutt and pack at the time on sale, but I can't find the Ahsoka figure now to really comment from a customizing aspect much.  Paint may help her blend in a little better though, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2009, 03:03 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2009, 10:11 AM »
I think Cad Bane could pass for Legacy.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2009, 01:19 PM »
The new Aayla Secura might be a good bet too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2009, 01:45 PM »
I am not collecting the animated figures but I have picked up a couple that look passable for the line formerly known as core:

IG-86's
Magna Droids
4-A7
Jar-Jar (He looked like a cartoon anyway in the movies)
Yularens' Table only
Gra Nantucket Nectres from the Vulture Pack

I will get Aayla and swap hear arms with the reular one if the color matches enough. I really wish these were realistic…...
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline commandernarra

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 8, 2009, 09:13 PM »
I wish they had gone to realistic too, but oh well. I've grabbed Ahsoka, Commando Droid, and Argyus and find them passable. I've also customized an Obi-wan to a more realistic version, based, I think, from a recipe Chewie did  :)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Captain Rex looks good with TLC - but WITH his helmet on!! And magnaguard mixes in here as well ... except his head is TOO small, and his feet are friggin' HUGE!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:29 PM »
I just bought some more Jawas to blend into my massive Jawa collection.  While not perfect, they help spice up the variety of Jawas for me.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Cad Bane fits in well I find. I've got him standing along side my ESB bounty hunters right now and he doesn't really look out of place.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Cad Bane fits in well I find. I've got him standing along side my ESB bounty hunters right now and he doesn't really look out of place.

Wooow that's interesting. To me he seems pretty animated. But I bet he looks good there!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I said this before in the Mail away Mon Cal Jedi thread (forget his name), but I think that many CW figures that do not have realistic counterparts (ie brand new characters from the CW toon) look pretty great and imo fit in with the rest of my realistic collection basically because I have nothing else to compare them to.

So far I have only bought Cad Bane - but I am debating getting Ashoka, Argyus, Rex, mon Cal jedi, Whorm Loathsom (sp?) and some of the droids because, again, to me they look fine because there is nothing else to compare them too.  They are a nice enough "hybrid" mix.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 11:45 AM »
The new Padme fits in decently.