Author Topic: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?  (Read 50696 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Well, I've seen a couple of commercials running all this week, but it has always been while watching cartoons with our daughter.  So, not sure if they're just running on kids' channels right now or what, but it was cool to see them.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02 PM »
I saw a preview at sports bar just last night for it (they had sports on)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 1, 2012, 08:57 PM »
I know this one is aimed at the kiddos, but it might be one of the more annoying SW commercials I've ever seen:

TPM 3D Commercial
« Last Edit: February 1, 2012, 08:57 PM by Brian »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 1, 2012, 10:28 PM »
...and our box of Cheerios has a free Star Wars pen inside (we got Jar Jar) and it looks like there is eight of those out there.

Ouch.

Looks like the Canadian version of Cheerios is passing on the star wars pens. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Saw TPM last night at midnight, because why not. It was basically the Blu-Ray version, with a few of the older deleted scenes from the DVD thrown in (it featured the extended Podrace entrances, the extended race and that weird scene where the Coruscant taxi takes everyone from the landing platform to the apartments, and that was really all I noticed). I thought that the opening with the Republic Cruiser was changed a little bit though, looked like there was more CGI, but I'm not sure.

3D wasn't anything to write home about, of course. Seen one 3D movie, you've seen em all, especially older ones that weren't even designed for the format.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2012, 05:19 PM »
I guess this CW Maul trailer is supposed to be attached to the flick at AMC, Cinemark, and Regal cinemas.  i think he's a little upset.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/10/darth-maul-clone-wars-teaser/#more-74752
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Went and saw TPM 3D this afternoon with my daughter and my dad.  Like Diddly mentioned, basically the Blu Ray version with some older (already seen) stuff mixed in.  Man, that digital Yoda looks so much better than the puppet.  I remember wondering even when I first saw TPM in '99 why the new puppet looked so much worse than the one in Empire and Jedi.  Anyways, the 3D was neat I guess, although I don't really have anything to compare it to.  The only other 3D movie I've seen is Beauty and the Beast with our daughter last month, which was another older (in that case animated) movie that was converted later.  I wonder if the movies that are actually filmed in 3D look worlds better, or if it is pretty similar.

That being said, I would have went even if it was just a straight re-release too.  To me, there's nothing like seeing SW on the big screen, and it was just neat to see it that way again.  While watching it today, it made me realize how I've grown to appreciate TPM a little more over the years.  It is still probably my least favorite of the SW movies, but I still enjoy it.  And man, I still love that lightsaber fight.  Still got chills watching it today, even though I've seen it so many times before.  I hope it does well, and I look forward to seeing SW on the big screen each year for awhile now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2012, 11:57 PM »
Haven't gone yet...  Felt weird almost.  That weird feeling went away.  I truly am not the guy I was in 1999.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2012, 05:58 PM »
I fell asleep during the podrace   :-[  seriously...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Soaked it in this afternoon. The 3D was pretty 'meh' but it was great to see Star Wars on the big screen again, which is like 75% of the reason I went.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09 AM »
Saw it last night, with about 3 other people in the theater...uh-oh, Georgie!

Seemed like a waste of $14 to me...I didn't really see any enhancement through the use of 3D.

The one thing that stood out was during the pod race when Anakin sticks that magnet rod out to reel in the Pod cable. It's coming right at you!  ::)

After all this time, the plot still doesn't make any sense either. Who is taxing the trade federation routes? How does this result in a blockade? What is the point of it all anyway?

I literally laughed out loud during the scene where Yoda says "TWO there are always" - yeah, right. By the time of the CW TV Series there are at least 5 Sith running around with no fear of recrimination.  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2012, 10:35 AM »
I saw it last night with my sons.  The 3-D was okay but you could definitely tell that it was a 2-D movie that had been converted.  With the exception of the magnet rod that McMetal mentioned already, the only real effect the 3-D added was giving the movie more depth than anything else.  I will still see the others for the novelty of it, and so that my kids can see the movies at the theater, but I'm definitely not going because the 3-D was so spectacular.

The cool thing for me was standing in line for a Star Wars movie again and having my kids experience it.  We got there about 25 minutes before the show and there were at least 30-40 people in front of us.  By the time it started the theater was about 3/4 full.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Can't believe I'm actually doing this but:

The Republic taxes the trade routes.  The Trade Federation disputes this, which leads to their blockade of Naboo, a political and military show of force intended to get the Republic to back down.  Of course this is all pantomime, as Sidious/Palpatine has engineered both the taxation and the blockade (and his eventual elevation to Chancellor as a result).  It's doubally pointless as the Senate cannot resolve its own crisis, and the Valorum goes over their heads as a result by sending the Jedi to back the Federation off.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Something else I didn't realize until later was that the 3D actually added TOO MUCH depth... I could totally notice where the "ground" ended and where the green screen began, especially when Qui-Gon and co are entering Mos Espa
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Saw it last night. Same feelings. Glad to see it again on the big screen, but the 3D was meh. I still cringe at some of the dialog.

Was cool to have the theater packed with lots of young kids.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within