Author Topic: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?  (Read 50690 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Could that return be affected though, by the fact that these movies just needed tweaking compared to full production?  Or is it sill going to be super expensive to try?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Could that return be affected though, by the fact that these movies just needed tweaking compared to full production?  Or is it sill going to be super expensive to try?

This article indicates that 2-D to 3-D conversions usually cost around a million dollars or less:

How Do You Convert a Flat Movie Into 3-D?

And this was from the article I posted earlier:

If you ask the medium's most dedicated evangelists what's wrong with 3-D, they'll point to the shoddy, post-production upgrades that flooded the market after Avatar. "It was just being applied liked a layer, purely for profit motive," said James Cameron, who rates the quality of 3-D in dimensional fractions, 2.2-D or 2.5-D. According to this theory, high-end, "real" 3-D sells itself, while the crappy, cash-in conversions—the "fake" 3-D—destroys the brand.

Again, there's some supporting evidence. Using information gleaned from http://www.RealOrFake3D.com, it's possible to compare box-office numbers from converted and native 3-D films: Since 2010, "real" films have an average ratio of 1.00, meaning they earn about the same amount from 3-D and 2-D on a per-theater basis. The "fake" films from that period had an average ratio of 0.87, which equates to minus-13 percent. It's also the case that fakeness is on the rise—it now accounts for about half of all 3-D releases—which could explain the general worsening of 3-D returns.

There was something in Brian's post I quoted about how all six films have already been converted to 3-D.  If that's true, and Phantom Menace tanks next year, I can see them scrapping the one-a-year plan and instead releasing them all next year, within a few weeks or a month of each other--like they did in '97--in honor of "the franchise's" 35th anniversary.  If they're already done.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:42 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Yeah I could see that too...  I really am looking forward to it, if for no other reason than to go watch SW at a theater again.  I've got little reason to go to the movies otherwise, but that's something I was anxious to do again. 

But I an see Cameron's POV I guess.   I just don't know much about it and I've still yet to ever see a 3-D film in a theater...  well, not since Jaws 3-D, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 04:39 PM »
I personally don't see McCallum's comments becoming a reality. If they have spent the money on the conversion, then they will just release them anyway. Sure it may be like what Matt suggests which is an accelerated schedule, but they will all see theatrical release.

The biggest motivator to me is the fact that having each of the movies in the theater again offers them another shot at merchandising the heck out of each movie, which is where the real money is.

Look at all the stuff Hasbro has planned for EP1, which up until now, has pretty much been the pariah episode as far as the toys go for quite some time. Sure we've had a few figures here or there and the Saga Collection 2 had a TPM wave, but that's about it and with the exception of EP1, I can see Hasbro using these 3D re-releases as a means of making some larger "parking lot" items for each movie, bolstered by the fact that there will be extra exposure from the 3D re-release.

I think they will easily be able to pull in ~$20 million for each movie. Especially if they get them shown in some of the IMAX theaters - I know that's where I'm going to go see them when they come out.

What has me the most disappointed about McCallum's comments is the implication that they are all done and ready to go. If that is the case, then they only made 3D versions of the existing versions of the movies. I was hoping that they might actually be adding some new stuff to truly make going to see these new 3D versions worthwhile.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 05:33 PM »
If they have spent the money on the conversion, then they will just release them anyway.

I agree with this.  The money to be made for Star Wars 3D releases isn't limited to the ticket sales though... like Pete said, merchandizing/licensing is where it is at...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 08:45 PM »
I agree, plus, and let's be honest here, the prequals were a shell of what the OT was, but did well at the box office for a pretty steady period of time for each one.  I think a re-release will do well regardless.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Han Solo salt and vinegar....heh.

Think I might've swapped Luke and Leia's flavors. She's sour and after the Wampa he was pizza faced!

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 11:30 PM »
It appears The Lion King in 3D has raised the bar for re-releases in 3D. I am really curious to see what happens next February.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 01:55 PM »
It is part of the whole "Darth Maul Returns" article at SW.com, but it looks like they have released the first poster for The Phantom Menace 3D:

http://www.starwars.com/news/darth_maul_returns_2012.html

Funny, not a sign of Jar Jar, little Annie (aside from the podracer I guess), or senate hearings on this poster :).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:56 PM by Brian »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2011, 01:59 PM »
That looks pretty cool.  They sure are pimping Mr. Maul lately though but that's not a bad thing.  Wonder what the prequels would have been like if Lucas didn't off him at the beginning.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 02:31 PM »
Nor is Qui-Gon on it...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2011, 01:55 AM »
That... is a very non-Star Wars-y poster
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2011, 09:12 AM »
It looks like Yoda's checking out/admiring  Maul's backside.  :P Maybe Yoda meant something else when talking about the 'dark side?'

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Why in the hell would they leave the area over his left shoulder blank?  Lame

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me