Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 3 - ROTJ  (Read 183287 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 3 - ROTJ
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Collecterstation has a Q&A in which Hasbro says that the upcoming R2 will be significantly smaller in size than the past astromechs mold, smaller even than the BAD molds.  I'm guessing the same size as the CW astros.  They say that this is more in scale, and will be this size going forward.

I am not happy because now any new droids will look ridic against the old, for example an eventual R5-A7 will look totally out of place alongside the other droids that have been released from the Queen's starship.  This also means that due to having to tool up additional dome molds, we are back to square one with only R2's out for te next few years, followed by R5s, and then R4s, and maybe R3's 6 years from now.  Not happy.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2010, 02:01 PM »
I am not happy because now any new droids will look ridic against the old, for example an eventual R5-A7 will look totally out of place alongside the other droids that have been released from the Queen's starship.  This also means that due to having to tool up additional dome molds, we are back to square one with only R2's out for te next few years, followed by R5s, and then R4s, and maybe R3's 6 years from now.  Not happy.

I concur.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Any size changes=bad.  I also dislike how small the Lukes are now vs then.  It just looks bad IMO.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Booo.  The new size might be more accurate when R2 is next to Luke, but then again I haven't heard people begging for a more accurately sized R2, they wanted a better sculpt, or a new paint job, but height isn't a problem that I've ever heard mentioned.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31 PM »
They're right on the scale issue, but I gotta say I'm content with the army of astromechs I have, and if they are only going forward with smaller ones, I'm at a bit of a dilemma.  That's a LOT of repainted astromechs to replace, and I think I'd rather just say "screw it", and keep the larger ones.

I like Luke being smaller, he should be.  Same with leia.  Han and Lando should be average height for the most part, Chewie very tall...  I like the direction Hasbro went with that, but waiting till the 15th year of collecting to make astromechs smaller?

Dumb.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2010, 03:35 PM »
I agree, especially when they continue pumping the cost of producing new tooling well. Resculpting/rescaling astromechs is dumb. It could be worse I guess, they could have went bigger.  ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I give them credit for taking a long hard look at scaling things right.  There were gripes on things, but they're doing it right.  But seriously, the 15th year of collecting after you milked repainting astromechs for eons, doing some of the most obscure ones ever, and NOW you want to redo their size?  That's just kind of insulting in a way.  Collectors should maybe backlash on that one. 

Unless the R2 comes with some significantly cool accessories, I may just pass on him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Speaking of height/scaling issues, I hear that the latest ESB wave C-3PO is pretty short, compared to other 3PO figures.. how short, I don't know yet.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2010, 03:55 PM »
It's especially insulting since they just did a dozen new ones for the BAD line, plus all those that came out in the DF 2-packs.  At least the CW ones are in a different line, but I really wish they would have gotten their stuff together on this 2 years ago.

We should have seen this coming since they finally did the uber-R2 with brush silver dome in the R4-G9 mold that everyone had been begging for.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Speaking of height/scaling issues, I hear that the latest ESB wave C-3PO is pretty short, compared to other 3PO figures.. how short, I don't know yet.

I think he's about as tiny as the first VOTC C-3PO.

Offline Peakob1

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2010, 05:47 PM »
He is just a bit shorter then the first VOTC version it doesn't look that bad
I just picked him up at my TRU. He is smaller though for sure!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2010, 07:06 PM »
To be fair though, Anthony Daniels is a pretty tiny guy actually.  I guess 3PO is to be Luke-ish in size...  Someone posted Daniels' height here and it was remarkably short I remember.  I met him just last year and honestly didn't realize he wasn't very tall at all, but he was sitting down so I guess I wouldn't have noticed that.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Gammorean Guard via JTA on Facebook

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Gammorean Guard via JTA on Facebook

Just saw that....wow, looks great.  One of the resculpts I was most looking forward to.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2010, 05:25 PM »
 :o

at work - cant see facebook - leaving in 35 min - can't wait!!!