Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 3 - ROTJ  (Read 183246 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 3 - ROTJ
« Reply #390 on: December 8, 2010, 10:59 PM »
Wow, that's shocking!  At $9.99 a figure, you'd think they'd be blowing out the door there. :)

I don't think ROTS wave even showed up at TRU around here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 9, 2010, 12:02 AM »
JTA has a front-page report that EE.com is entirely out of ROTJ cases, and they won't be getting any more shipments. Does this mean that ROTJ cases will begin to dry up at retail? They've only been out for a little more than a month...
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #392 on: December 9, 2010, 09:00 AM »
No.  There's a lot of cases in the pipeline, and too many new tools in that assortment to make a small run.  EE might have sold out becaus eit was such an awesome case/wave that people didn't want to miss it.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 9, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I disagree...I think you had better buy these up ASAP, because there will not be many around in the weeks to come. They have been flying off the shelves around here. TRU has been unable to order ANY cases whatsoever in advance of the holiday rush.

I don't think they made a small run, the demand has just exceeded their expectations wildly.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #394 on: December 9, 2010, 02:48 PM »
How do you know that TRU will not get this wave?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 9, 2010, 03:21 PM »
I don't know about the run numbers, but I've seen evidence that the ROTJ wave hit in full force at a lot of stores - mainly Wal-Mart and certain Targets... I mean, when at a lot of stores I see 8-10 each of Endor Rebels, Ackbars, and Woofs but not a single of the other figures from the wave?  That indicates to me that they might not get too many more cases in.

So, this wave might be exceeding Hasbro's expectations... their solution?  Overproduce the hell out of the ANH wave, which sucks.  And then we get a bottleneck that hurts the vintage line, which Hasbro blames on collectors.  And Hasbro then takes shots at collectors in the Q&As.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 9, 2010, 03:48 PM »
How do you know that TRU will not get this wave?

I didn't say that they would NOT get it, I said they have been unable to obtain any of those figures around here so far, despite trying. I have a friend who works there that happens to be an avid SW buff, and he was just voicing his frustration about this the other day. The local store is literally right next to Wal-Mart, which has stocked at least 5-6 cases of the ROTJ Wave over the past few weeks. TRU just cannot get any of these into inventory.

TRU is pulling in huge numbers of shoppers right now, and around here the pegs are an atrocious wasteland, 1 wave behind on Vintage and at least 2 waves behind now on TCW. I suspect that is not just an unfortunate coincidence. (Maybe this is Hasbro's payback for ignoring the "street date" back in August - my friend has wondered this aloud as well)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #397 on: December 9, 2010, 04:07 PM »
How is your local TRU store's Vintage stock?
« Last Edit: December 9, 2010, 04:24 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #398 on: December 9, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Yeah, my stores don't have much ROTS in even.  It's all wave 1 because they're grossly overpriced.   It's not a real shock then that they can't get the latest stuff in and WM/Target/KM can.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #399 on: December 9, 2010, 04:26 PM »
It's all wave 1 because they're grossly overpriced.

Agreed.  My local TRU is loaded with ESB/RotS stuff (including the UGHs) and it's been the same since early September.  I just don't see how they will get rid of them at $10 each.  What collector wants to pay $10 at TRU when Target/Walmart are down to $6 now?  What parent/grandparent is going to buy a $10 "star wars guy" when they've had a bunch of "2-for-$11.99" or "2-for-$9.99" sale opportunities on the CW/Legends over the last few weeks?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #400 on: December 9, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Yeah, the sales weren't even on my mind, but they're not going to help the sales of Vintage at all either...  Why buy $9.99 Anakin, when $5 Anakin can be had with a Clone for $5?

TRU's shot themselves in the foot completely with Vintage.  I don't know if whoever did their purchasing and price-setting said, "Well we sold them on these cards for $10 before, so let's try it again!  They're for collectors afterall!", not really anticipating that the other retailers actually give a **** about MSRP's and sticking close to them so they can compete.

TRU is the new Kay-Bee at times though.  I'm not really near TRU anyway so it doesn't impact me a lot, but it's frustrating.  I'm glad I didn't buy one vintage figure off them though, out of principle.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 9, 2010, 05:57 PM »
How is your local TRU store's Vintage stock?

Mostly ESB, a smattering of ROTS, and available space for more on the pegs. Their vintage stuff is not moving at all right now, it's been the same batch sitting there for weeks seemingly. More or less the same at the other TRU across town as well.

Yeah, I think it will be an unusually epic fail if they go all the way til X-Mas with the current stock. They do have about 50 Boba Fett UBP's if you need 'em though.  ::)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 9, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I would think that TRU just might not be ordering ROTJ because their overpriced Wave 1 and Wave 2 stuff isn't selling? 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 9, 2010, 10:19 PM »
TRU really shot themselves in the foot with their Vintage pricing.  I'm amazed that they haven't adjusted considering what the competition is doing.

JTA has a front-page report that EE.com is entirely out of ROTJ cases, and they won't be getting any more shipments. Does this mean that ROTJ cases will begin to dry up at retail? They've only been out for a little more than a month...

I would not take this as gospel.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2010, 10:37 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #404 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14 AM »
TRU really shot themselves in the foot with their Vintage pricing.  I'm amazed that they haven't adjusted considering what the competition is doing.

Well said, Nick.