Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 3 - ROTJ  (Read 183290 times)

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 3 - ROTJ
« Reply #405 on: December 10, 2010, 06:19 AM »
I have to say -without wishing to offend anyone who works on that site - i find it rich that they sound the alarm bell about soon to be gone jedi wave,then just  a few posts down theres an indulgent (parr for the course in this hobby i supose.) article about how they can't stop army building pig guards!

Things look bleak for us in the UK the wave is Pre-Pre sold out without any of it hitting retail. There is an exclusive deal with T R us over here ...but wether Hasbro USA has alloted stock for that -Feck Knows!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #406 on: December 10, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Here's my take...TRU breaks the street date in Aug with TVC.  They sell really well becasue we all want new figs, despite price.  TRU orders more of the TVC.  However, it's still so early in the game that when the orders are filled, they are still all the ESB wave.  While they may have many more waves on order, and that includes ROTJ, they can't get them to the stores because the computers see the pegs as full.

Maybe. I don't know.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 10, 2010, 11:26 AM »
Here's my take...TRU breaks the street date in Aug with TVC.  They sell really well becasue we all want new figs, despite price.  TRU orders more of the TVC.  However, it's still so early in the game that when the orders are filled, they are still all the ESB wave.  While they may have many more waves on order, and that includes ROTJ, they can't get them to the stores because the computers see the pegs as full.

Maybe. I don't know.

Makes sense to me.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #408 on: December 10, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Finally found the GG after finding the rest of the wave a few times.

He's a very strong figure.  While the skirt is very poofy, if you don't want to cut it, it can be turned around with  the shorter part in front.

However...I am sick of removable helmets.  It was never something I ever wanted in my figs and I hate them.  Why?  Because they just fall off!  Sure, if there's  chin strap or a tight fit, I'll go for it, but this guy's helmet is just placed on.  Crazy glue here I come again...(Don't get me started about Cad Bane...)
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 10, 2010, 11:40 AM »
However...I am sick of removable helmets.  It was never something I ever wanted in my figs and I hate them.  Why?  Because they just fall off!  Sure, if there's  chin strap or a tight fit, I'll go for it, but this guy's helmet is just placed on.  Crazy glue here I come again...(Don't get me started about Cad Bane...)

I was sort of thinking the same thing.  Don't get me wrong, I think removable helmets are cool and a neat feature, but that is the one drawback to the GG to me, his helmet falls off way too easily.  It would be even more frustrating for a kid, who actually plays with these things.  You know that would be getting lost awfully quick.  I've noticed that with more of the removable helmet type things lately, they seem to fall off a little too easily - at least the non-trooper ones.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 10, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Guys, do not mind this post, it's meant for Dressel Rebel. I was modding some of my troops and merged Major Panno with the new Rebel Commando. I was thinking it's something he may dig. Here is the result of a simple pop and swap:

Awesome!  This is a really good idea to change up the ranks a little bit.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 10, 2010, 03:08 PM »
I like removable helmets, except on Clones and Stormtroopers... Hasbro makes those too damn bulky and the details are often quite horrid.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 10, 2010, 03:10 PM »
I like removable helmets, except on Clones and Stormtroopers... Hasbro makes those too damn bulky and the details are often quite horrid.

Yeah A-Wing, X-Wing helmets have been really good.  Endor, Hoth too.  Most really.  Even some of the clone helmets are good.  Airborne clones and Galactic Marines for example. 

I have also not liked any of the removable phase II or III clone trooper helmets or stormtrooper helmets.  With the exception of the felucia clone, 327th Star Corps for some reason.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #413 on: December 10, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I'm not particularly bothered by it, but I could see them changing the sculpts to improve them as well.  Maybe enlarging them slightly would help.  The Phase 2, or 1, or whatever the first style helmet from AOTC is, looks fine to me though.  The ROTS style helmet is the one that generally doesn't look good.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 10, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Yeah, it's primarily the basic ROTS removable helmets and the Stormtrooper removable helmets that have had issues in terms of appearance.

I'd be happier if they just left them alone and didn't make them removable or made it to where they came with an alternate head, like on the first Clone Wars Kenobi that is still in circulation to this day.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #415 on: December 23, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I picked up the Bar-2 last night and I have to say I'm underwhelmed.  I don't like how the sensorscope piece fits in.  Basically, you cannot have it in the lowered position without the center leg being out.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 31, 2010, 11:23 AM »
The fight for figure of the year has begun!

Hulk rises from the piggy pile!

Hulk, leader of the piggy people!

There's a new piggy in town!

**credit for the head swap in the last pic goes to Toonimator from rebelscum.com  I read it in a post of his and thought it was a pretty cool idea.  Note the head is just resting on the ball joint, it does not fit - the socket is way too big.

Ps -Hasbro just needs to sell cases of the Gamorreans.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:30 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Finally found a Gamorrean Guard today. Paying *gasp* $7.99, actual retail, really sucks after holiday sales.

No offensive to its fans, but it's probably the most overrated Star Wars figure of the year.

-Ball jointed shoulders with 90% of their ball-movement restricted. Ummm...why'd they bother? I know they are capable of having shoulder armor and allowing some ball-socket shoulder movement, they've done it before. With GG you have to force it, risking paint rubs and loose joints. Not cool.
-Swivel hips that can't really swivel. If they are hidden by the skirt, why the heck did they restrict them? This is a STEP BACKWARDS from both previous 3 3/4" versions of the character. It reduces the benefits of the knees and ankles, too.
-The helmet that falls off constantly.
-The skirt mess.

That said, it's not a bad figure. The three weapons are nice. The sculpting is good (except where it restricts movement). And at least he doesn't have a goatee. It's just a few bad calls by Hasbro that kept GG from being truly great.

I probably won't be picking up another one, unless there's a good sale or I actually get the new Jabba the Hutt (Fat chance...ha...of that, as the only Wal-Mart here that carried him, sold out.), and want to round out his court. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 09:06 PM by scockery »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 31, 2010, 11:33 PM »
Drugs!  Vintage gamorrean a step backwards?! Best likeness of a star wars character in a figure ever period.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #419 on: January 1, 2011, 03:50 AM »
Scockery, I'll keep an eye out for Jabba for you.  There had been some lingering here for a while that came in the second shipment.  Not sure if they're still floating about or not.

And I don't know that I'd be so harsh on the GG, but he's not flawless, and I do think the "overrated" applies in some ways (sorry Dressel).  He's a great figure to me, but flawed in some ways too, and I'd still gladly put VTSC IG-88, VOTC/EB Chewie, and others a notch above.  I think I like him better than you do though, Scockery. 

But I think the gushing over him is deserved in one way, but in another way I think we've seen as good or better in the line before.  Even some characters that mean something more to me would place higher in my scale of how much I like them over the GG, though I'm 100% positive I'd be in the minority too, haha.  But I do think there are figures that could easily be argued as superior to the Gammie.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77