Author Topic: Mexico Convention  (Read 9529 times)

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Mexico Convention
« on: July 14, 2003, 08:54 PM »
I just returned from Mexico City from the collectors convention, and just wanted to mention to everyone that if they have ever had any interest in attending, DO IT.

The group of American collectors I was with and myself, several of whom did presentations on different aspects of collecting, were treated incredibly kindly by the Mexican collectors and the organizers of the event and the rest of the staff. We all had SO much fun, and I personally learned a lot. The Mexican fans and collectors that attended the event were so enthusiastic about the hobby, were eager to learn and to share knowledge.  

A few notable presenters were Steve Sansweet, Alejandro Becerra Zoebisch (former product director for Lily Ledy Corp.), and Bob Kling and Tim Effler from the Kenner corp., as well as Gus Lopez, Duncan Jenkins, Todd Chamberlain, Chris Georgoulias, and Joseph Yglesias ( :-*).

One of the people I was with had mentioned that this convention was akin to toy shows of years ago. The really crazy part, which Joe and I were both not expecting, were the requests for him (and several others) to autograph figures and other things, the photos snapping away from all angles, the television interviews, and generally being treated like celebrities. Luckily nobody was confused enough to ask for my autograph.  ;)
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Mexico Convention
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 09:16 PM »
Sounds like fun Carrie!  The pics Dustin at Rebelscum took look like a lot of fun and that is neat that everyone was treated like royalty :)

I have never actually been to any sort of con, went to a ton of Sportscards shows though as a lad and this is sort of what I picture.

Any Matazumah's revenge?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 09:20 PM »
Great story!  Did you happen to buy anything "cool" down there in Mexico?  Any pictures to share with us?  And nobody asked you for your autograph?   :-*
dustrho

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 09:28 PM »
Nope, no Montezuma's revenge, heh. I don't personally have any photos to share, I'm really bad about taking pictures when I take trips.

I unfortunately didn't get much in the way of toys, except for the Hasbro exclusive. I was close to snagging a couple of things, but it didn't pan out.  I'm still looking for the right Ledy Tusken for the right price. He'll come to me someday.  :)

I saw some amazing bootlegs in Mexico, the place was swarming with them, quite a few of which Joe picked up. People were approaching him with bags full o' bootlegs. He got an Ewok bootleg with googley eyes, which was a great find. Sansweet was fawning over that one. He also got an all-sterling silver Stormtrooper bootleg, super nice. Everyone was drooling over these little blue Columbian bootlegs this one guy had, but he wouldn't sell. Talk about a pack of wolves closing in, we were all hot for those.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 09:51 PM by CoruscantCourtesan »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 09:30 PM »
For you get the Bootlegs
Then you get the Money
Then you get the Women
Then you get the Power

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 09:47 PM »
Hee hee!!  :-*

So, where are those pics that Dustin posted? I'd like to see 'em.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 09:49 PM »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 09:50 PM »
Looks and sounds like everyone had a great time there Carrie!  I was hoping to see you sitting up next to Joe in that picture of him speaking, but I guess you were off galavanting...

I was originally going to go to that convention with a buddy of mine, but when the Silver Fett became available elsewhere, we decided to settle on the slightly less exotic San Diego Comic Com instead...   ;)  Are you and Joseph going to that one as well?  If so, I'd love to meet up with you guys at some point!   8)

P.S.  We've missed you 'round here...   :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 09:53 PM »

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 10:10 PM »
Looks and sounds like everyone had a great time there Carrie!  I was hoping to see you sitting up next to Joe in that picture of him speaking, but I guess you were off galavanting...

I was originally going to go to that convention with a buddy of mine, but when the Silver Fett became available elsewhere, we decided to settle on the slightly less exotic San Diego Comic Com instead...   ;)  Are you and Joseph going to that one as well?  If so, I'd love to meet up with you guys at some point!   8)

P.S.  We've missed you 'round here...   :-*

Awww, thanks Matt.  :-*

I did sit up there with him until things got going, his nerves got to him a bit.  :)  There are plenty of pictures of me at the Mexico Convention out there, but I couldn't tell you who took them. One of the more memorable photo-ops was about 12 of us crammed into the huge Silver Fett bubble that Hasbro had there. We called it the gringo multi-pack.

We're not going to the San Diego Con, but we'll be at DragonCon in Atlanta next month, I can't remember if I asked you if you were going. I would LOVE to hook up with you and the missus at some point if you'll be in Atlanta, or some other time in the future.

That pic of Joe being interviewed is great! I was in the background right off to the side (you can't see me in the pic, though). I had just gotten him a soda, and walked up to give it to him, then saw the camera and ran off to the side quickly. Whoops!

Also, I have to give props to collector and translator extrordinaire, Isaac Lew. Not only did he help me with my Spanish (or lack thereof) a bunch of times, but he translated for several presentations, and was just an overall very sweet, very smart kid.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 10:15 PM by CoruscantCourtesan »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 10:53 PM »
http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=43924

Those are great pictures!  It's just making me get more and more excited about the Chicago convention.  I can't wait for that to happen.   ;D
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 10:56 PM »
Me jealous :-[

Glad you had fun though.  You missed a good chat (and were missed) on Friday though.  Ask Scott (Larry Bird) about it. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 11:04 PM »
Uh-oh, Scott, what did I miss out on?

dustrho, I'm afraid that you won't find Wiz World Chicago to be anything like my description of the Mexico Con. I went last year, and was kinda disappointed. I may go this year, and I may not. I'm not terribly excited about it to be honest with you.  Mexico really spoiled me, it's really going to be the yardstick for which all conventions are measured against for me from now on.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 08:29 AM »
Wow Carrie, that sounded like a blast!!  I wished I had picked that to go to.  It was closer for my girlfriend but we both decided to try Dragon-con this year.  I think I made a huge mistake since Comic-con looks (and sounds) like it's going to be so much more fun and I've read nothing but positive, up-beat reviews from Mexi-con.  

Beth

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 09:19 AM »
Hi Carrie. Glad you had fun. You have been missed around here.