Author Topic: How do you display varying sized figures?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
How do you display varying sized figures?
« on: November 8, 2009, 05:21 PM »
OK, I keep going back and forth so I thought I'd bring this up as a topic of discussion.  When it comes to Marvel and DC, I collect the gamut when it comes to sizes.  I limit the characters I collect (females for Marvel, females and Batman villains for DC) but I have the small stuff like the Infinite Heroes and Marvel Universe and also items as tall as the 13" DC Direct figures, Marvel Icons and even Comiquettes for Marvel.  I can't seem to find the right display combinations though.  At first I displayed by character, but I didn't like having the larger items with the smaller items.  I then went by series/size, but when I did that I got a few characters or lines that only had one or two examples and they seemed disconnected from the rest of the display.

One thing I have determined is that I don't like mixing statues and action figures for the most part.  If it's a larger line (like the Women of the DC Universe busts or Marvel Comiquettes) I group them by series, then one-offs or smaller lines I do by character.  That seems to work pretty well.  I'm trying to get a good balance with figures, try different things out and see what I like, but in the meantime I thought I'd see what other people that collect varying sized figures did.

John

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you display varying sized figures?
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I don't mix and match sizes.  My 12" stuff all goes on a shelf, my 4" figs on a shelf, etc.  Legends/DCSH stuff might get mixed together, but they're pretty close.  The only exception to the rule is if I'm totally out of space somewhere - I think I may have one shelf on the bottom of a display where I had to put together 12", famous covers, and some smaller scale stuff, just because none of it warrants a shelf of it's own.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2009, 02:43 AM »
Scale's a big deal for me, and so I separate scales.  I tend not to venture out of the 3.75"-1:18-ish world though either.  I'd be into more 1:6 stuff if I could afford (or rather, if I could justify) such an investment.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I kind of wish I had this problem to deal with.   :P 

I don't have a lot on display but what I do have I tend to split up on scale. 

I have much of my AT-AT Driver collection on display and keep the carded figures together then the 3.75" stuff is together.  I do have a misc. shelf that has similar sized stuff like Kubrick, Lego, Bust-Ups, trading cards and that type of stuff.  Right now I also have my 12" scale stuff on that same shelf but at some point I plan on moving to a larger cabinet and when I do, the plan is to have the 12" stuff all together.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:19 PM »
The display case I have has all the 6" size figures, except for the bottom shelve which has me Alien Queen (McFarlane), my Staypuff Marshmellow Man, and dancing Caddyshack gopher, the rest are on a glass shelve in my colloction room that I have moved all my 12" Sideshow and Transformers to.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!