Author Topic: Walmart CW Octuptarra Droid  (Read 29739 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart CW Octuptarra Droid
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2009, 12:33 PM »
...At the very least this Tri-Droid is better than its smaller cousin.   

Yeah, now if Hasbro would do this in Movie Deco...

The movie deco is what is known by more people. (not just kids)
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2009, 09:45 PM »
...At the very least this Tri-Droid is better than its smaller cousin.   

Yeah, now if Hasbro would do this in Movie Deco...

The movie deco is what is known by more people. (not just kids)

I gotta disagree with you on that. Though getting movie deco would be cool, I'd say the CW deco has more screen time and therefore more exposure. Either way, the droid is still a rather obscure design that probably has under a minute of screen time total (CW 3D series and movie, and ROTS) and hasn't appeared in any comics or novels. We will be extremely lucky to ever see this mold again. Hopefully the current sales pick up, as I would gladly pick up two in the ROTS colors. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2009, 01:18 AM »
I agree with your point on the decoes Greg.  These were pretty prominent in the Clone Wars toon at the beginning, and the ROTS deco is not quite as prominent.  Much less screen-time whereas it's almost a set-piece for the scenes it is in during the CW movie because of Anakin using them to kill one another and cutting them down, and so forth.

I couldn't honestly say off the top of my head what the details of a movie deco one would be other than I'd assume it's just what the little ones are like, only larger.   :-\  I'd rather have a movie deco one though, ironically.  But that's the collector in me...  I am happy with what I have though and if I see one cheap I may nab a 2nd.  They seemed to wander around in groups.  Movie deco would've been nice but ain't happening I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Last week two Octuptarras knocked on my door, thanks to fellow scummer MAF. He kindly offered to pick these up for me at his Walmart for $20 each, ex.tax, whereas these babies are priced at roughly $60 each here in Holland. Even with priority mail shipping they still were a helluva lot cheaper!

I must say I am utterly impressed by this "vehicle". The size is incredible and it looks very detailed. From a modeller's/customizer's point of view, I'm not too happy with the hobo like cannons, but I can easily fix that. Of course I understand the play value of these missile launchers, which fire a missile quite hard!

Great product by Hasbro. Here's a couple of clickable thumbs from one of the two:

:)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Very nice pics!

While I understand the argument about the CW deco, it was first seen in the movies. Repaints ARE Hasbro's thing. I find it very odd they wouldn't elect to reissue this one, but in movie deco.

While the price was okay for this and the deco was neat. I only bought ONE. I'm not a CW collector, unless it can fit in the realistic line. These can, but I have no need or desire to own more than one of them since there is so very little realistic CW stuff.

However, if the movie deco ever cam out I'd buy at least 3 of them if they are the same price. The deco is MUCH simpler for the movie too, so there is no reason that version should be more expensive. If the thing were molded in that muted goldish color then there are very near to no paint apps required. Look at the detailing of the blue/gray CW version. Lots of paint apps there. More difficult and definitely more expensive.

Yes, the CW one has had more exposure, but the movie one shouldn't just be ignored.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 04:23 PM »
I scoped this out earlier today at my local Wally and it still had the $35 price tag.

I definitely want another, but I think they are bound to drop even lower than $28 if I hold out.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 07:09 PM »
While I understand the argument about the CW deco, it was first seen in the movies. Repaints ARE Hasbro's thing. I find it very odd they wouldn't elect to reissue this one, but in movie deco.

While the price was okay for this and the deco was neat. I only bought ONE. I'm not a CW collector, unless it can fit in the realistic line. These can, but I have no need or desire to own more than one of them since there is so very little realistic CW stuff.

However, if the movie deco ever cam out I'd buy at least 3 of them if they are the same price. The deco is MUCH simpler for the movie too, so there is no reason that version should be more expensive. If the thing were molded in that muted goldish color then there are very near to no paint apps required. Look at the detailing of the blue/gray CW version. Lots of paint apps there. More difficult and definitely more expensive.

Yes, the CW one has had more exposure, but the movie one shouldn't just be ignored.

The movie deco would be cool and just a repaint, but if the current toy isn't profitable I see no reason for Hasbro to do a repaint. I think another mark against a ROTS Octuptara is the special price point that limits its release to an exclusive.

And regarding paint apps, I think they would be the same if not more involved for a movie repaint. I find the CW toy to be rather bland looking and lacking in details, especially on the legs. A ROTS repaint would require a more complex paint scheme on the legs, as you can see in the image below. In addition, I think more detailing would be required to make it look accurate to the film, such as painted guns and some weathering.

I will agree that a ROTS/ "realistic" repaint would be awesome and I'd welcome it with open arms. I think many of the new vehicles (V-19, Tank Fighter, Gunship) could use repaints with some "battle damage" paint apps to deliver a more worn and used feel to better fit in with the movie figures.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2009, 02:09 AM »
I could actually see doing a custom paintjob on the WalMart Octuptarra Droid in order to make a ROTS version.  Testors makes some great metallic paints that would probably airbrush on quite nicely.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 3, 2010, 10:26 PM »
An amazing toy from the big scale of vehicles... hope Hasbro continues  its work with classic vehicles and ships, like the long waited
big At at, star destroyer (Vader Executor), or a new Death Star playset.

A big Slave I with an evo Boba is a want for most of us also.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: January 3, 2010, 11:48 PM »
I could actually see doing a custom paintjob on the WalMart Octuptarra Droid in order to make a ROTS version.  Testors makes some great metallic paints that would probably airbrush on quite nicely.

Just beware of Testors paints Nick, some are acrylics, others are enamels.  If I had to suggest, I'd go with Tamiya Gunmetal.  It's a pretty spot-on match and with thinning they airbrush fantastically (never tried Testors in an airbrush).

I'm a self-admitted Tamiya biased person though too.  It has a flex to it that I like, for lexan RC Car bodies.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 4, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Found two of these on clearance for $15 the other day. . .after I bought one online for $25.