Author Topic: 2010 Clone Wars Packaging  (Read 15269 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at 2010 Clone Wars Packaging
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 11:30 AM »
In the latest round of QA, Hasbro confirms 32 TCW figures next year before the package relaunch in the Fall.  ;D

So it's 32 more CW figures in the Red/White packaging?

I interpreted their answer to mean that there would be 32 CW figures spread out from Spring through Fall. Meaning that the CW would be taking a break after the Cold Weather Gear Anakin wave and re-launching in August with its new look. So we have 9 "Spring" figures (the Hondo wave and the Cold Weather Anakin wave) and then 21 CW figures in the new packaging in the fall (which will also most likely include repack figures in the new packaging as well).

For the Legacy line this fall there's been 54 figures with 17 repacks. For the Clone Wars line there's been 37 figures with 13 repacks. It's not so unreasonable to expect that if the realistic line will have 24 new figures in 2010, that the CW line would only have 21 new figures in 2010.

I think there's going to be an overall slowdown across both lines, not just the "realistic" line. There are Clone Wars items out there that aren't moving either - the two Target exclusive CW battle packs come to mind.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 12:06 PM »
I could be wrong, but I took it to mean there will be 32 CW figs before next fall.  I doubt seriously they would only field 21 total new figures given how popular the show is, and also that the Legacy line would have more new offerings.  I think CW will be much larger than Legacy next year.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 06:40 PM »
I could be wrong, but I took it to mean there will be 32 CW figs before next fall.  I doubt seriously they would only field 21 total new figures given how popular the show is, and also that the Legacy line would have more new offerings.  I think CW will be much larger than Legacy next year.

Sorry, my math was crap - I should have typed 23 new figures in the 2010 packaging, not 21.

If you continue to fix/do the math from my prior post, you'll see that there are only 24 "new" figures this year in the Red/White packaging. If you combine that with the nine figures we got this calendar year in the blue/white packaging, that brings the total of "new" Clone Wars figures for 2009 to 33.

So for them to say that there are 32 new Clone Wars figures in 2010, really doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. If anything it indicates that the Clone Wars line is going to stay consistent year-on-year, whereas in 2009 there were 24 blue/white Legacy figures that came out (four of them were re-releases/repacks) and 54 red/white Legacy figures (with 17 repacks), so here are the totals for the 2009 calendar year of both lines:

Clone Wars - 33 "new" figures, 46 figures total
  • 9 "new" figures in Blue/White packaging
  • 24 "new" figures in Red/White packaging
  • 13 repack figures in Red/White packaging

Legacy Collection - 57 "new" figures, 78 figures total
  • 20 "new" figures in Blue/White packaging
  • 4 repack figures in Blue/White packaging
  • 37 "new" figures in Red/White packaging
  • 17 repack figures in Red/White packaging

So if Hasbro says there will be 32 "new" Clone Wars figures for the Spring and Fall, they could very well indeed mean in both the Red/White and new 2010 packaging style. Who knows how many of the 60 unique Clone Wars figures that have been/will be released in the Blue/White and Red/White packaging styles will be re-packed in the new 2010 style? Repacking anywhere from 15 to 20 of them in the new 2010 style would help keep the Clone Wars line on the shelf pegs in force w/o Hasbro having to sculpt more figures.

They have clearly said that there will be 24 "new" Realistic-line figures starting in August, but they also said that there will be core-character repacks to round out each of the lines. My interpretation of that is to mean that each wave will feature 12 figures (they seem to like case packs where each figure is in there only once) with 6 of them being new and 6 being repacks (or carry-forwards from the previous waves in the later waves) to help keep the cost-per-case down.

So the potential totals for 2010 could look something like this:

Clone Wars - 32 "new" figures, 47 figures total
  • 9 "new" figures in Red/White packaging
  • 23 "new" figures in the 2010 packaging
  • 15 (guesstimate) repack figures in the 2010 packaging

Legacy Collection - 31 "new" figures, 49 figures total
  • 7 "new" figures in Red/White packaging (6 EU figures and the Bespin Wing Guard variant)
  • 24 "new" figures in the 2010 movie-line packaging
  • 18 (averaging the 2009 Legends and TLC repacks) repack figures in the 2010 movie-line packaging

So year-on-year the Clone Wars would be a +1 gain, and the Realistic Line could see around a -29 loss.

I don't see them actually increasing any line in 2010, but they have said they are pulling back on the realistic line, so a decrease like I'm estimating would make sense.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 09:47 PM »
That is some good guesstimation.  I'd say you're right on.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Pete, very comprehensive analysis...kudos.

I do think we're likely to see more than 32 TCW figures total for 2010, especially with the Hondo wave not shipping this year now. And I agree they are going to be getting more profile than Legacy next year.

I do NOT think even Hasbro would be so stupid and short-sighted to put this line on hiatus at the same time as the Legacy line. There is no way they are going to go that long between figure waves, I just can't see it. For one thing I don't think their fiscal model could support a business plan like that. '

Ideally we should be getting a new wave of 4-6 characters every other month. That's six waves a year and a grand total of 24-36 figures, depending on re-packs, etc.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Believe it or not, I hope you're right McMetal - I really do.

Unfortunately, for me, I've come to treat this line from a "glass is half empty" point of view, that way, when they announce something is coming that is really, really cool (to me) - I can get all that more excited about it, since it far exceeded any expectations I had for the line.

So if instead of there being 32 new figures for the whole year, it was more like 64 new Clone Wars figures for the year, that would be one of those surprises that I would find to be really, really cool.

Peter

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 09:45 AM »
I don't know, the other thing to reconsider is that with this line, rereleases are a must.  The first 8 figures that came out, should always be out.

I think that that should continue to ship a "major player" case, all year long.  Then, every other month, 6 totally new, and somewhat minor figues.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Yakface.com has new pics of Lego sets with the Rex icon. That Rex picture sure does look spiffy!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2010 Clone Wars Packaging
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Looks like ToyArk has another leaked presentation slide - this time confirming the Yakface packaging pic that started this thread and previewing a look at the 2010 Clone Wars cardback.

Looks like the Clone Wars figures will have "battle game cards" as a pack-in this year... 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Wow, battle game cards...that really excites me NOT.

I really would have preferred they gone the Build A Clone route....

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Yeah the card thing is a bit different, but it could be fun too for the younger crowd/target audience. Hasbro seems to be pushing that concept across a couple of their licenses for 2010 - Iron Man and Spider-man specifically.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Aah, well, don't forget that TCW figures originally didn't include a pack-in... at least we're getting something extra in this line.

However, it is a disapppointment (to me, at least) being that the realistic line of figures so far don't look like they're being packed in with something extra (when the new vintage cardback debuts). ::)

I hope these "battle cards" are something like character profile cards - none of those Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh!/Magic the Gathering-styled cards that are meant for play.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:10 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 12:27 AM »
Well they are "game" cards so I'd expect something like the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars Miniatures cards.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 10:01 AM »
So when is this new TCW packaging supposed to debut? After Wave 12? (Thi-Sen, Palps, etc) Or with the other Fall re-boots?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Fall.