Author Topic: Luke Skywalker's Snowspeeder  (Read 67911 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Skywalker's Snowspeeder
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Between this and the Cloud Car, I can't remember the last time I was this excited for vehicles.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Wow. I'm both excited and disappointed. Looks like I might have to retire all my previous versions.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2010, 02:42 PM »
That's a nice comparison photo. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I scored one of these today - oh mamma.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:45 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2010, 03:15 PM »

Online or from a brick and mortar?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2010, 03:34 PM »

Nice, eh?

See, I remember back in the good ole CSW days, people saying "You're nuts, it's perfectly scaled", and, "The Vintage one is great, what could you possibly fix?", and so on.

Now 2010 rolls around and apparantly you can fix quite a bit. :)

I'm so happy I'm scrapping all my work on making my own to-scale ones...  I had a negative made and everything.  I love cancelling a project like this though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2010, 03:36 PM »

Online or from a brick and mortar?

Brick and mortar (TRU). I scored this the Cloud Car and several Vintage and CW figures.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 2, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Haha, Jesse- well, I don't know if it was scaled back ENOUGH, but it does look great!  Now, the fact that there isn't any weathering...  :P

Here's another great comparison:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: July 3, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Like I said, I think they scaled it to the model, and not the lifesize...  That's probably the biggest difference in scale of the two tangible studio examples of the vehicle...  The model had a clearly wider look whereas the lifesize was probably made smaller so it was easier to move on the forklifts for the take-off sequence.  At least I could easily see that.  It could just be like a lot of other differences and nobody gave enough of a poo to care about it.  ;D 

Except us of course.  I swear the first time I saw ROTS one of the first thigns I noticed and which stuck with me from the get-go was Anakin's magic starfighter on Padme's balcony that kept going from one size to another as it swapped from CGI to lifesized prop/set.  ::)

The weathering I'll live with.  If there's one thing that can be fixed easily, it's damaing it with a nice weathered paintjob.  I almost like the "factory fresh" looks at times, just for the neatness of having a pristine one.  Kind of like a model would be, if that makes sense.  I'll weather one too though, for sure.  I want Luke to have a nice beat-to-hell one.

Now...  Where's Wedge's?  Or Hobbie's?  Or Zev's?  I'm in for any repaint o fthis.  I totally plan to do an open-cockpit one too, from Force Commander, rocking the Rebel Brown and quad-rear-cannon so the gunner can do some serious damage.  I love it.

And man, the little stuff like the aurabesh, the quilted ceiling sculpted into the cockpit, the place for Luke's grapple gun, the tight cockpit for the figures, the interchangeable guns.  This is my "Big AT-AT".  I've had this thing on the drawing board and even partially done for a while, and now I can happily put that aside.  All those Snowspeeder pilots we got are going to be riding in style now.

The Cloud Car, if it weren't so "dull", would be equally high on my list too.  The detail they crammed into it when I saw it at Toy Fair, simply floored me.  Opening engine compartments, tons of little stuff...  Hasbro is making a fun toy, but they're doubling it as a great collectible too.  To me, these are oon-par with the 1:18 military stuff I collect.  A little simpler construction, but I find them pretty equal in quality.

Now if Hasbro REALLY wants me to fund their kid's college tuition, start doing this, to OT Fighters...  X-Wing, Y-WIng, B-Wing...  I'm down for all 3 getting a to-scale treatment, and and this kind of detailing.  A lot less likely, but I'd gladly shell out big bucks for those to be done that way.

Sorry to be long-winded, I just knew you'd be the kind of guy who probably appreciates the direction I'm coming from .  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 3, 2010, 09:16 AM »
I received a couple of these from TRU.com yesterday (with the buy one, get one 50% off deal), and I'll echo the comments here already - I think it is amazing.  I've said before, this and the Falcon were my two favorite vehicles as a kid and it is nice to see both getting fantastic re-dos over the past few years here.  I really hope we continue to see OT vehicle re-dos, because although the originals are nice in many ways, these improvements seem to really show what can be done these days with toys.  Like Jesse mentioned, all the little details are astounding on this ship - and I'm definitely down for repaints of this for Wedge's, Zev's etc.  Bring 'em on.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 4, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I'll add my praise to this well done ship. Opened mine up yesterday and was just blown away. Couldn't be much happier. Thanks Hasbro!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 4, 2010, 01:04 PM »
It's sounding like a broken record (in a good way), but I got this from TRU.com late in the week, and it's just pretty damned near perfect.  The inclusion of the alternate firing guns (both front and back) was a very nice gesture from Hasbro, especially with how little things like this tend to get dropped due to costing issues on a lot of other items.  Both Luke and Dack fit perfectly in the cockpit (and their hands fit the controls!), the little spot for Luke's harpoon gun is a great touch, and I can't get over just how nice this thing looks.  This is a 10/10 all around for Hasbro, and I really hope they do a "red" repaint for Wedge somewhere down the line.

(I'm in the midst of trying to translate the Aurabesh inscription on the side of the ship and will update this post once I have it finished) :)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: July 4, 2010, 01:14 PM »
(I'm in the midst of trying to translate the Aurabesh inscription on the side of the ship and will update this post once I have it finished) :)

Jesse beat you to it. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 4, 2010, 01:18 PM »

Jesse beat you to it. ;)

Weird, mine doesn't say that (although I haven't even tried to do the translation under the "ZZ" inscription).  Here's what I got:

(under the laser cannon itself, right side of vehicle): 

DO NOT STEP  LASER
CANNON POWER SUPPLY
LOCATED UNDER PANEL

(on the "step" portion where Jesse's TF photo was taken, again, on the right side of mine):

LASER
ACCESS
PANEL

And, on the removable cannon part (over the removable access panel):

LASER
TARGET
CONTROL

So, it looks like mine (at least) is different from the one shown at Toy Fair that Jesse saw/translated.  I like what he saw better, actually.  I was kind of hoping that one of the translations would have been "BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE." :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #134 on: July 4, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I found this yesterday and I'll echo everyone's enthusiasm for it.  I'm not a ship collector really, but this is one of the all time favorites and this new version is excellent.  I'm looking forward to Wedge's next.