Author Topic: Luke Skywalker's Snowspeeder  (Read 67680 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New Snow Speeder (Confirmed Rumor)
« Reply #30 on: December 8, 2009, 03:29 PM »
The thing is, to me anyway, the "snowspeeder" is really just an airspeeder...  They look the same everywhere, more or less.

There's variants in the EU that have them with an open cockpit and even a small quad-laser mounted on the rear, but other than deco changing for some attempt at camo I really don't think they'd change much for environmental differences.

I'm all for deco variations though.  I'd like to see at least 3 movie decoes first then maybe an EU one.  So long as the movie ones get out there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: December 8, 2009, 03:33 PM »
The thing is, to me anyway, the "snowspeeder" is really just an airspeeder... 

I agree.  When Han asks if the speeders are ready, doesn't the Echo Base guy basically say something like "we're having trouble adapting them to the cold"?  I always assumed that they were just regular speeders that were fitted somehow for the cold/snow.  I just figured they were called "snowspeeder" since it was easier to market the toy that way.   :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 8, 2009, 07:04 PM »
The thing is, to me anyway, the "snowspeeder" is really just an airspeeder... 

I agree.  When Han asks if the speeders are ready, doesn't the Echo Base guy basically say something like "we're having trouble adapting them to the cold"?  I always assumed that they were just regular speeders that were fitted somehow for the cold/snow.  I just figured they were called "snowspeeder" since it was easier to market the toy that way.   :D

I've seen the snowspeeder referred to as an armored airspeeder. I don't know about marketing, as the "snowtrooper" was originally "Storm Trooper in Hoth Battle Gear." I guess it doesn't really matter, but it would be cool to see some EU decos on this new toy.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: December 8, 2009, 09:02 PM »
If we don't get EU I'll likely whip some up of my own...  I like crossing WW2 flare over with SW designs a lot, so I could see one get some teeth and eyes, or camo on top and blue on bottom type deco for combat on another planet somewhere.

Also I wanted to restate what others have seen/noticed with it, that the Speeder DOES appear to have a removable armor piece on the right side, which really indicates (to me) that either this model will be the grey with red markings and possibly a removable armor panel featuring the red "innards" of it exposed, or that it's at least been designed to double someday as that deco.

There's a pretty clear tab for inserting your fingernail to remove the panel, it's the right (appropriate) side...  Makes total sense for Hasbro to milk this thing be it in the mid-size or exclusive range of milking.  Would you buy this with Wedge in his Hoth Speeder gear?  I probably would buy this thing with EU pilots and film ones.  I'd buy it with a Hoth Pilot Dash Rendar even, or Keyan Farlander.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #34 on: December 8, 2009, 09:37 PM »
I'd buy it in any case, but I hope to see Wedge and Dack next year.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: December 8, 2009, 10:01 PM »
Dack especially...  To me he's a pretty perfect generic Hoth Pilot. 

I'd like to see them do a similarly generic Yavin IV Reb Pilot with the blue emblems and black lenses on a clean helmet.  I'm not counting on it but it'd be THE pilot I'd buy up 20 or more of.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 9, 2009, 12:28 AM »
New Snowspeeder Sweet  ;D long overdue vehicle, also Wedge and Dack are long overdue.  I am convince that Dack will be in the next ESB wave.   

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31 PM »
I hope to see Luke and Dack in the new snowspeeder, a Luke like the hoth pilot from esb wave with helmet but without skullcap to complete the variants of this action figure.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Well, this might be a bit of a downer if accurate, but I did some measuring based on the photos.  The one with the speeder upright against the wall and sheet of paper has a tape measure showing 27.5 cm long (which converts to 10.8 inches).  Another photo shows the width of the vehicle where the laser cannons separate from the body of the vehicle as being about 18 cm (about 7 in).  I went and measured the vintage mold and found it to be about a half inch longer lengthwise and about 3/4 to an inch wider.  So apparently the changes are more functional and cosmetic as opposed to scalewise. 
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Well, this might be a bit of a downer if accurate, but I did some measuring based on the photos.  The one with the speeder upright against the wall and sheet of paper has a tape measure showing 27.5 cm long (which converts to 10.8 inches).  Another photo shows the width of the vehicle where the laser cannons separate from the body of the vehicle as being about 18 cm (about 7 in).  I went and measured the vintage mold and found it to be about a half inch longer lengthwise and about 3/4 to an inch wider.  So apparently the changes are more functional and cosmetic as opposed to scalewise. 

I've read some posts here from people that disagree with me, but as far as the scale issue goes figure:vehicle, the original snowspeeder is not the problem, look at the video here, at the 3:08 mark.  The problem is the AT-AT.  That's when the snowspeeder looks bad, when you put it next to the walker.  A snowspeeder pilot next to the snowspeeder we already have looks pretty good scalewise.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 03:18 PM »
For the record, I disagree with you Dressel.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 07:35 PM »
For the record, I disagree with you Dressel.

Oh I know it, and don't think for a moment that I'm not grateful. 

If I found you agreeing with me on any kind of regular basis, I'd be forced to look in the mirror and make some changes.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Check the blueprints of the lifesize prop and compare.  The original SS is WAY oversized.  It's a dinky craft, and that toy's anything but.  I'm not seeing anything wrong with this one in terms of scale.  It's definitely smaller just based ont he cockpit size.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 12:03 AM »
I really hope so, but those aforementioned measurements don't look good.  They are within a half inch the same in 2 directions.  But the cockpit looks much better, and I'm sure the deco will be great.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08 AM »
I think the cockpit was really the biggest sticking point on the vintage snowspeeder.  The snowspeeder in TESB looks cramped for the pilot and gunner, but on the toy the pilot would be flopping around all over the place.  This new model seems to deal with that issue well.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback