Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 15125 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2010, 11:41 AM »
I cant believe I still havent seen this

Me neither.  It is tough for us to get out to movies much anymore since our daughter was born (no family especially close to babysit or any of that), and we just haven't gotten a chance to see this yet.  I have to admit, I'm curious - especially after the enormous success - but aside from that I'm kind of dumbfounded why this is such a crazy big movie as well.  A few months before it opened I didn't know if it would make its money back (since it cost so much), but it seems to have accomplished that just fine.  I know that inflation numbers aren't ever considered, but it stings sometimes hearing that Avatar (or previously, Titanic) were/are the number one movies of all time.  It was nice when Star Wars was at the top of that chart ;).

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I cant believe I still havent seen this

Me neither.  It is tough for us to get out to movies much anymore since our daughter was born (no family especially close to babysit or any of that), and we just haven't gotten a chance to see this yet.  I have to admit, I'm curious - especially after the enormous success - but aside from that I'm kind of dumbfounded why this is such a crazy big movie as well.  A few months before it opened I didn't know if it would make its money back (since it cost so much), but it seems to have accomplished that just fine.  I know that inflation numbers aren't ever considered, but it stings sometimes hearing that Avatar (or previously, Titanic) were/are the number one movies of all time.  It was nice when Star Wars was at the top of that chart ;).

Brian, trust me, when you see this, you'll know. I saw it in IMAX, so I don't know how much of a difference there is comparing that to the regular 3D version. If you've got an IMAX theater nearby though, I highly suggest checking it out on that. It's more expensive yes, but man you'll be blown away by the effects.

There are many times you feel you're right in the movie. I saw many a people swatting away flirtering bugs or ash as it floated by. And just the sci-fi escapism you get with this movie. No doubt by now you've seen the floating mountains, while those are a sight to see and similar ideas have been in several stories of the genre before, there are many other things that take it to a whole new level. The luminous forest is awesome, the creatures are fantastical as they should be in a story of this kind.

Don't think you're going to see something in comparison to SW. Think you're going in for a new visual experience. Don't try and compare it, just enjoy it.

I like many other did.

The story itself is familiar and similar to stories we've seen in the past, just told from a different perspective. So don't look to that as anything ground breaking. Good old George himself "used" to say a movie with special effects and not a story isn't really a movie. He's come to recant that even if privately as evidenced much by the PT. Avatar is similar in that respect that the story while important isn't the driving factor. Though, if you don't feel at least some emotion for what happens in the movie, well I'd be surprised.

Get a qualified babysitter as soon as you can, because this movie will not translate on the small screen as it is on the big screen. This is a must for a theater going experience.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 3, 2010, 09:44 PM »
'Avatar' is No. 1 movie of all time

1: Avatar, $601,142,000.
2: Titanic, $600,788,188.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: February 3, 2010, 11:43 PM »
Still never seen it.  Maybe this weekend.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 4, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Meh.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 4, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Though, if you don't feel at least some emotion for what happens in the movie, well I'd be surprised.

You know, I read this back when Sal posted it, started to write a response and thought I should wait and think for a while before responding.  So that time has passed and honestly I must be the most cold-hearted bastard out there.  Now the caveat is that in general terms, I enjoyed the movie.  The effects were well done and I certainly didn't feel like I'd wasted my money on it (even if I'm irked by renting plastic glasses for the 3-D).  As Sal and others have said, the plot isn't overly new and I wasn't expecting something new and stunning because frankly Hollywood seems to have run out of original ideas in many respects.  All that said the only emotion I felt was annoyance with frequent eye-rolls.

Spoilers here:

Didn't you know Sigourney Weavers character was going to die?  I sure as hell did. 

Didn't you know that the main blue dude (sorry, I saw this six or seven weeks ago) was going to tame the "big bird" as soon as they talked about it?  I did. 

The familiarity of it all seemed so contrived to me that it just wasn't remotely an emotional experience at all.  It was an enjoyable movie but I swear I'm the only person that seems to have seen it and not been either wowed by it or overly annoyed by it (the blatant environmental message was only mildly annoying to me).  I absolutely believe it should get an Oscar for effects and possibly a few other things, but best picture?  Not a flipping chance.  Otherwise you'd have to go back and retroactively give them to Ferngully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas and more. 

It's probably just the innate bastard in me but I found the "war" about as believable as the Ewoks winning on Endor ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #66 on: February 4, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Otherwise you'd have to go back and retroactively give them to Ferngully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas and more.

Dances with Wolves might not have room on it's mantle... what with its seven other Oscars.   ;)

I agree with your point, though.  It just wasn't that good a movie.  Of course neither was Titanic...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 4, 2010, 04:28 PM »
I'm just glad Titanic was finally knocked off that perch.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 4, 2010, 04:38 PM »
I'm just glad Titanic was finally knocked off that perch.

True dat.

Dances with Wolves might not have room on it's mantle... what with its seven other Oscars.   ;)

Y'know, I've never actually sat through that entire movie.  I've tried but always find something else to do.  After I wrote that I remembered it was well received and was wondering if it didn't already have an Oscar for best picture. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: February 4, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Titanic's like NASCAR.  You're waiting for the wreck, but otherwise you could sleep through it till the end.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 4, 2010, 05:11 PM »
Titanic's like NASCAR.  You're waiting for the wreck, but otherwise you could sleep through it till the end.

Well there are the boob shots to consider...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 4, 2010, 07:00 PM »

If it's like NASCAR, then the only thing it does for me is confirm to me that football season is over.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: February 4, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Actually that's at the very end of the credits if you look close.  It just says, "Football just ended, thank you and watch your step when exiting the theater.", which is kind of nice.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 5, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Oh come on now.  Quit ripping on Titanic and Dances With Wolves.  Those two movies are pretty damn good you have to admit.  The only problem with them now is that they have been run into the ground by overplay.  The only thing that annoyed me about Titanic was hearing that song by Celine Dion everywhere I went for an entire year.  That and all the media hype they generate afterwards.    I thought the acting in both were pretty decent really.  I mean you got Kate Winslet in there who gets nominated every damn year.  The old lady was pretty damn good to.  Yeah, I even think Leo held his own for a young twenty year old at the time. 

No, I know what you guys mean.  Avatar certainly is not the greatest story you will ever see.  Neither was Star Wars basic good vs evil with horrible dialogue.  Yet it's beloved by millons 30 years later.  People love to rip on these basic stories but those are the one that get butts in the seats because most everyone can relate to it in someway. 

Don't be bagging on Wolves, Titanic, and Avatar just because they re-tell a story in some unique way. That's the main appeal of Avatar.  He retold an old story in a newer way that quite frankly a lot of people had not seen done before.  If any of you saw it in IMAX 3-D you had to impressed by the shots and lighting.  If not well I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe art house films are all you like now? 

Honestly, some us are just showing our age a bit ripping on this one to.  It's like we have all seen too many movies now and they just don't impress like they used to.  It's hard for any filmmaker to wow anyone anymore.  A lot of that has to do with the hammering of the special effects and sound over your head.  But I really did not feel that way with Avatar.  It was special effects laden of course but did not feel like it was driven into me like a spike on purpose. 

Anyway, Avatar is a pretty darn good movie overall.  I'd go again definately.  Hell I saw The Phatom Menance enough times in the theatre and that was supposedly the stinker of all time right?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 5, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Hell I saw The Phatom Menance enough times in the theatre and that was supposedly the stinker of all time right?

Not by a long shot.  The stinker of the six part series, perhaps, but not of all time.  Howard the Duck.  G.I. Joe.  The second Transformers flick.  That hideous movie last year based on the 1960s car cartoon (lord, I've blocked it out completely) that still has toys hanging on the pegs cuz no one wants them. 

Never seen Titanic and don't want to.  Boat sinks, people die.  Celine Dion sings.  'Nuff said.  ADD with DWW so haven't seen the whole thing as I said above.  Didn't say it was a bad movie ever, just said the story was essentially the same. 

Never said Avatar was bad, quite the contrary I believe.  Just not clear on why it is the #1 movie of all time.  Effects are glorious, no doubt.  But the acting is questionable, if only because half of it is animated.  I've never really considered voice acting to be "acting" proper in the sense of carrying it on to the point of an Academy award.  Takes some skill no doubt, but less so than "real life" wouldn't you agree?  Not rippig on any of them really (well, Titanic I suppose) just positing my less than common point of view.   :)