Author Topic: I'm a student again  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
I'm a student again
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Well, I finally am getting onto my Masters work. I filled out all the online forms yesterday and will be attending the online American Military University.

I was looking through my classes for my Masters program last nigh and I kept thinking WTF am I doing? Of course, my school district requires you to have a masters within 10 years of starting there and they pay for $7500 of it, so it's not all bad. I'll only be out of pocket a few thousand.

The Masters will be in Military History, but I can't decide on my concentration yet. I've got an option of four, Revolutionary War era (I do love this subject), Civil War era, WWII, and war since 1945 (of which I have first hand experience). So I'm torn between the first and the last. I've also thought about going the Political Science route or the Military Studies route with a concentration in Asymmetric Warfare, but I think I'm leaning away from that as I'll be a little more marketable to one of the local universities.

I'm sure a lot of that was just mumbo jumbo to some, but we know all types of people and backgrounds make up our hobby.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a student again
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Out of curiousity, what do you do with a masters in military history outside of teaching military history to others?   Based on your comments, I assume you're using it for a teaching position, but just wondering if there are other applications.  Good luck going back - I don't know if I could go back to school after all this time.  Hopefully having courses online will be an easier transition.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Chris, let me know how it goes, I would love to get a Masters in Military History.

As far as applications, teaching (all levels), writing, research, Museum Work, History Channel Talking head (one of my goals in life)....

The best part...those pesky Student Loans would go into deferment while I was a full time student again.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Congrats, Chris!  Ah, to be back in college with all the beer and babes...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:58 PM »

As far as applications, teaching (all levels), writing, research, Museum Work, History Channel Talking head (one of my goals in life)....

Paul nailed it down.  I'd love to be a consultant for the History or Military Channel. 
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 09:39 AM »
Good luck Chris!  I went back to school a few years ago for my Masters after being out of school for about 12 years.  The program I'm in is designed for people who are 'working professionals' so the classes are only one weekend a month.  While this is very convenient it also means that it's going to take me about 4-5 years to complete all the requirements unless I take multiple classes a semester which isn't financially feasible.

I'd love to be a consultant for the History or Military Channel. 

That would be awesome!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Wow.  In NYC, you have only 5 years to get a masters onece you start teaching, and they pay for none of it.

Personaly, the 1945 and up will be really halpful in the classroom.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 02:25 PM »
Good luck Chris!  I just completed my last Master's course in Space Operations Management from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University this week!  All I have left to do is re-submit my capstone project (Thesis) and I'm all set for my Major's board next year!   :D

If you'll accept some friendly advice, I think you should go towards the focus in the Revolutionary War.  You have expressed interest in the subject so it will help you keep your focus on it, especially towards the end when all you want to do is be done with it.  Since you have first-hand experience in the modern era, you can always talk to your students about that.
This is the way.

I have spoken.