Author Topic: The Legacy Collection: Best of 2009  (Read 8661 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Legacy Collection: Best of 2009
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:39 PM »
It is about the time of year when we start discussing the best of what we've gotten this year.  Although many (like myself) haven't yet gotten the Empire Strikes Back wave (or maybe even some of the other waves' figures) - I thought we could start this thread for those that have seen/gotten everything.  I didn't know if we wanted to include CW stuff with this, since the figures are quite a bit different - but the vehicles are more "cross overs".  Feel free to list whatever you want though - Legacy Figures, CW figures, comic packs, vehicles, deluxe, battle packs, exclusives, etc.  It seems like we got a lot of nice stuff figure-wise this year, and some other nice surprises as well.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The Legacy Collection: Best of 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I want to say that the new AT-ST and the improved TIE Interceptor were the best vehicles I got this year, however, I did technically pick up my big Millenium Falcon this year (January 2009) and that just about tops any vehicle made for the modern Star Wars line in my opinion ;)  Other vehicles were also well done, including the Magna Guard P-38, Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, Octapura Droid, Republic Fighter tank, and even the CW Y-Wing to an extent.

Figures are a little more difficult for me as I sort of pick and choose with them, liking some and not others.  To just name a few, I liked the ANH Spacetrooper, Rebel Technician (from the Yavin Scramble pack), the ANH Obi Wan Kenobi, Imperial Scanner tech, Snowspeeder pilot Luke, and of course, Willrow Hood 8)     
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:14 PM »
I thought 2009 was a pretty good year for Hasbro, and I think BAD is a great feature. ;D I will say, however, that I see a lot of effort in sculpting, paint jobs, articulation etc. goes into the TCW line.  :(

Anyway, my favorite figures from TLC/LC 2009 would be (in order from favorites)...
1. General Grievous
2. Illum Padme
3. ESB Palpatine
4. DSII Luke Skywalker
5. Jabba's Slave Leia
6. AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi
7. DEII Clone Emperor Palpatine   
8. ROTJ 2-piece helmet Vader
9. CP Asajj Ventress
10. CP Durge 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:56 PM »
This is the year of the Luke:

Best Figs 2009:

Luke Skywalker Resurgence of the Jedi
Luke Snowspeeder Pilot
Luke Skywalker DSII
Giran
Nikto Gunner
Obi Wan Kenobi AOTC
Jawa/WED Droid
R2-D2 Resurgence of the Jedi
Rebel Technician Scramble on Yavin
Sandtrooper (Dewback)
Wedge Antilles (X-Wing Pilot)
Gungan Warrior
Zuckuss
Concept IG-88
CW Luminara Unduli
CW Anakin Skywalker (Space Suit)
CW Jawas

Best Battle Pack:
Resurgence of the Jedi/Scramble on Yavin (tie)

Best Comic Pack:
Amanaman one

Best Galactic Heroes:
Max Rebo!

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:07 AM »
All in all, 2009 had some good offerings.  Some of my personal favorites include:

- Snowspeeder Luke (practically flawless IMO)
- R5-K6 (from Scramble From Yavin set)
- Giran
- Capt. Typho
- AOTC Obi-Wan

And I absolutely love the new AT-ST. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I'm still missing a LOT of figures I still want, but of the ones I do have I'd say my favorites are:

-ICMG (It's great to finally get him after all these years, and he's perfect!)
-Leesub Sirln (She was at the top of my cantina wishlist, and so for me this was the coolest surprise all year.)
-Giran (Very cool Jabba's Palace alien, and one of the most amazingly detailed sculpts ever in the history of the line.)
-Obi-Wan Kenobi ep.2 (Easily the best Jedi figure ever made, and should be the new standard for future Jedi releases.)
-Hoth Rebel Soldier (Finally, an awesome Rebel army builder that isn't a pilot or an honor guard!)
-Imperial Scanning Crew (Nice figure, cool accessory, pretty much the perfect Imperial army builder.)

There were some very cool figures in the Clone Wars line as well that I feel shouldn't go unmentioned. I really liked Luminara Unduli, Clone Trooper Denal, Whorm Loathsom, and the Jawas 2-pack. Cad Bane is pretty neat too but it's really hard to call him one of my 'favorites' because of the annoying lack of knee articulation.

Other great items were the Scramble of Yavin BP, the new Jabba's Palace Rancor, and the Kit Fisto figure from the Geonosis Arena 2-packs. I'm also really looking forward to buying the new Dewback.

Two other Clone Wars items I really, really, really, really liked that may actually be my two absolute favorite items of the year are the Turbo Tank and the Octuptarra Droid. If you haven't picked up the Octuptarra Droid yet, do it! It's AMAZING.

Overall 2009 was a very good year! I'm looking forward to what 2010 brings us! 8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 03:36 PM »
My top 10 Best Figs 2009: (Not in any order)

Luke Skywalker Resurgence of the Jedi
Luke Snowspeeder Pilot
Obi Wan Kenobi AOTC
Zuckuss
Willrow
Slave Leia
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Nikto Gunner
General Grievous
Sandtrooper (Dewback)

Best Battle Pack of the Year:
Scramble on Yavin

Best Comic Pack:
Kyle Katarn & Yuuzhan Vong (Star Wars Tales)

Best Figure Exclusive:
Target Geo packs

Best Vehicle Exclusive:
AT-ST

Best Vehicle:
Tie Interceptor

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 04:49 PM »
Jawa with WED droid had to be my figure of the year.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Still not much of an opener as I'd like to be so it's really hard for me to say what a great figure should be.  I'm going with the AT-ST and the Geo balls.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 12:33 PM »
I was just looking back through the year's releases, and it really has been a nice year for Legacy figures.  Some of them almost get forgotten momentarily since we had such a flurry of releases all at once there, but the figures overall were really top notch.  Some of my favorites:

Figures: Obi-Wan Kenobi (AOTC), Hoth Rebel Soldier, Obi-Wan Kenobi (TPM), Gungan Warrior, Luke Skywalker (DS II), Paploo/NoApaak 2 pack, Major Panno, Giran, Nikto Gunner, Princess Leia (Jabba's Slave), Imperial Scanning Crew Member, Jawa and Security Droid, Agen Kolar, Commander Cody, Willrow Hood, Luke Skywalker (Snowspeeder Pilot), Zuckuss, Cloud City Wing Guard, Luke Skywalker (Resurgence of the Jedi BP), R2-D2 (Resurgence of the Jedi BP), Sandtrooper (Dewback BP)

Vehicles/Exclusives:  AT-ST (Wal-Mart), Dewback (Wal-Mart), Rancor (Target)

Overall, a great year for Legacy stuff.  Like it was mentioned, it was the year of the Luke with three great ones all out this year.  Really, the majority of the line could be listed as "top figures this year" as there really didn't seem to be a lot of stinkers in the line.  The ROTJ and ESB waves in particular were very well rounded I thought, and it really makes me look forward to 2010.  There were some nice Battle Packs this year as well with the Resurgence of the Jedi, Scramble on Yavin (was that 2009?), Endor Attack, and the Gunship Turret packs.  The exclusives were pretty nice, depending on your tastes.  I enjoyed getting all-new versions of OT favorites like the AT-ST, Dewback, and Rancor and I hope it leads to more of that in the future.  Like I said, a fairly long list figure-wise, and it is hard to pick just one "top figure".  For me, the top 5 would probably be:

Obi-Wan Kenobi (AOTC)
Luke Skywalker (Snowspeeder Pilot)
Luke Skywalker (Resurgence of the Jedi BP)
Willrow Hood (Congrats to Scott)
Hoth Rebel Soldier

But even then, it is tough to cut off a number of other ones.  Great stuff, hopefully more is on the way.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 12:40 PM »
My favorites for 2009:

Basic Figure = Hrchek Kal Fas - yeah, they messed up the eyes but he's been one of my "most-wanted" for years...

Multi-Pack = Scramble at Yavin BP - loved the ship, loved the droid, loved the Techie.  Great set.

Vehicle = AT-ST - a fantastic, much-needed upgrade

Exclusive = Dewback with Sandtrooper - upgraded beast plus upgraded Sandtrooper, another home-run
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:42 PM »
Here are mine:

Figure(s): Concept IG-88 & Snowspeeder Pilot Luke

Best B-A-D: HK-47

Comic 2-pack: Kyle Katarn & Vong Warrior

Battle Pack: Scramble on Yavin

Vehicle: AT-ST (besides re-releases were there any other new TLC vehicles this year?)

Exclusive: AT-ST

Worst Values of the Year: Geonosis Assault Battle Pack ($20 - $25 for ONE gunpod and two re-released figures) and the WM Droid Factory 2-packs ($17 was just too much for what these were, I would have preferred a B-A-D exclusive that was just the Dark Trooper in a large box for $20)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Basic Figure = Willrow f'n Hood

Multi-Pack = Resurgence of the Jedi...yeah there are two needless repacks but I could buy 10 of these

Vehicle = At-St - awesome toy

Exclusive = Hmmm...I guess Dewback...although nothing really really wowed me

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Basic Figures - Spacetrooper, Obi-Wan Kenobi (all three), Hoth Rebel Soldier, Gungan Warrior, Imperial Scanning Crew, ICMG, Giran and Nikto Skiff Guards

Build-A-Droid - HK-47 and U-3PO

Battle Pack - Scramble on Yavin, Resurgence of the Jedi

Vehicle - AT-ST

Exclusive - AT-ST

Worst Values of the Year - Any Battle Pack after Scramble on Yavin (especially the Gelagrub pack) (reduced number of figures, more repacks, higher prices); WM Droid factory 2 packs (I only bought one set and felt I overpaid by about $10); and the $69.99 repainted vehicle line
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 08:31 PM »
My best list:
Figure: Saga - Jawa & WED Droid.  CW - Luminara Unduli
Vehicle or Playset: Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, AT-ST, Scramble on Yavin Battle Pack
Exclusive: Octuptarra Droid, Dewback

Worst:
Figure: Luke Skywalker DSII
Vehicle or Playset: Titanium and ARC-170 based on value
Exclusive: Droid Factory 2-packs

I usually do a best and worst post at the end of the year and you can read it on my website if you're interested.  I also cover 12", busts/statues, Lego, Other Toys, Non-toy collectibles and Events as well.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"