Author Topic: Clone Wars General Battle Pack Thread  (Read 62468 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars General Battle Pack Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 4, 2011, 12:55 PM »
I'm torn on the new battlepack format.

The Defense of Kamino set is pretty nice, a good mix of new-ish figures in that set and since they're always just repainting Clones at this point anyway, it's a nice collection of three re-paints in a single box.

The Hunt for Grievous has what I think is the best Clone Wars version of Grievous yet, plus the super cool soft-goods cloak they made for him. I could have done without the Rex though.

I think when they release a set like the Assault on Geonosis set, it's at least nice on Hasbro's part to make the Obi-Wan figure - something most of us probably have doubles of at this point - different from previous releases. The other two figures with him are army builders so I can always put them somewhere.

So from the standpoint that there's just as much new/different in each of the new battlepacks as there has always been, I'm okay with them.

On the other hand though, when you have sets like Cad Bane's escape and you end up essentially paying $20 for that one figure (like TheSon pointed out). They could have at least kit-bashed the Anakin to have soft-goods instead of the plastic skirt. Perhaps even painted Ahsoka's outfit a different color - something to make the Anakin and Ahsoka stand apart from their previous releases.

Don't even get me started on sets like "Stop the Zillo Beast" and "Droid Capture" - on the Droid set, I am essentially buying it to open and add what is essentially a $20 game card to my game card set.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 4, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Found the rest of these today at Target. Two of the packs I was on the fence with changed my mind when I could see them in the packaging. The Grievous is new thanks to several JD members for that. I may have not even looked at this set if it were not from the posts here. Kix is a nice repaint from an episode I really like and Rex has the blast mark on his chest from where he was shot with the sniper! I almost dropped the box. I figured that was going to be the figure the dog ended up with. The defend Kamino pack has the 501st Fives and Echo, and what I thought was a repack of the yellow arc trooper from last year's set, but it is redone with a new Kama and paint job and named Blitz. I can't see if it says Blitz on the card yet or not. My son's birthday is in three weeks and they will not be openers until then. I also thought I would skip the assume in geonosis back until I saw the trooper is not a repack of waxed or boil but a more generic arf trooper, something I wanted but did not ever expect to see. The Obi-won has a great sand weathered look and would be a great piece for a landing at point rain display. The geonosian is just a nice sculpt. Yo can never have too many of them. The bane is cool, but that pack is the stinker of the bunch. I only got it because we have been waiting for that figure so long. So long story short don't dismiss all of these before you get a close look at them.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 4, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Yeah, I was pleasantly surpised with the generic ARF Trooper GEo Deco too. That whole arc has been terrific toy fodder, Poggle notwithstanding.

My bugs need their starfighter though!
« Last Edit: August 4, 2011, 10:57 PM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 4, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Wow! Thanks TheSon - I had dismissed the Rex figure as nothing "new" - it's kinda cool they DID make him episode specific. Definitely a nice touch.

I also agree with the CW Geonosian figure - I love that sculpt - I have 6 "undead" versions, four from the 2-pack set, 2-from the two BPs I opened, and two on the speeder. Definitely a nice little group of those critters...

The shame about the Cade Bane Escape set is that the Cad Bane figure is a nice figure - I would have totally loved it if that had come out individually carded.

Something that just came to mind is that out of the 12 figures spread out among the first four new battlepacks, really only 2 of those 12 are duds. Considering that most 4-figure battle packs had at least one dud figure (some times two even), so if you think about three 4-figure battle packs also being 12 figures, we'd have anywhere from 3-6 dud figures in that batch of 12, so Hasbro didn't do too badly with the relaunch of this segment.

Of course, if you throw in the Zillo Beast and Droid Capture sets, then the averages go way down, but I won't go there. Hopefully those two sets are just assortment fillers to bring some variety to the characters offered in the battlepack line.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #124 on: August 4, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Perhaps even painted Ahsoka's outfit a different color - something to make the Anakin and Ahsoka stand apart from their previous releases.

BP Ahsoka is a different color (much darker, more accurate?) than the original basic figure release.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2011, 11:12 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 4, 2011, 11:54 PM »
BP Ahsoka is a different color (much darker, more accurate?) than the original basic figure release.

Cool - thanks for correcting that Jayson. To be honest, she just looked the same, so I thought she was. That's good to know that at least there is SOMETHING different about her.

I just compared the two figures and it her belt and the bottom of her helmet are a lighter gray than the original figure release as well.

Peter

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 5, 2011, 01:56 AM »
Of course, if you throw in the Zillo Beast and Droid Capture sets, then the averages go way down, but I won't go there. Hopefully those two sets are just assortment fillers to bring some variety to the characters offered in the battlepack line.

The beauty of those two sets is that they are comprised of ALL repacks. It was always annoying when a new figure or two would be packed with a couple of repacks or minor repaints, thus making people feel compelled to get the set. I have no problems with a mix of the all-repacked and all-"new" sets, but ideally I would just like to see all-"new" sets. I will get upset if it gets to be a one new figure with two repacks setup. I think the Wave 1 of the new BPs is pretty close to perfect... the only straight repack figure seems to be the space suit Anakin, but supposedly that figure is different from the original. 11/12 new or significantly changed old characters is pretty damn good.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 5, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I think the Wave 1 of the new BPs is pretty close to perfect... the only straight repack figure seems to be the space suit Anakin, but supposedly that figure is different from the original.

Yep, I cannot prove it, but I swear the headsculpt is different on that thing somehow. It looks oddly out of place with the existing neck.

Thanks for the Ahsoka comparison Jayson, that was a welcome surprise. I didn't catch that at first either.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 5, 2011, 10:24 AM »
This obviously means nothing to those who open these, but I hate that they are just 3 figs next to each other. As someone who keeps everything in the package my favorite thing about BPs was it was like I opened some figs and set up a scene w/o actually opening them up. Makes it harder for me to bite on these.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 5, 2011, 12:42 PM »
This obviously means nothing to those who open these, but I hate that they are just 3 figs next to each other. As someone who keeps everything in the package my favorite thing about BPs was it was like I opened some figs and set up a scene w/o actually opening them up. Makes it harder for me to bite on these.

I can see that. I keep everything packaged as well, but not on display, so the configuration doesn't really matter to me.

I do LOVE the condensed, slimmer BP packaging though, this is a great enhancement IMO. For me, space is at a premium, so anything that is done to help minimize the raw square footage I have to store is a huge win.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 5, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Question...Would you guys still be buying these if they were still $25 a pop?  I bailed awhile ago, but was just wondering.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 5, 2011, 12:46 PM »

I do LOVE the condensed, slimmer BP packaging though, this is a great enhancement IMO. For me, space is at a premium, so anything that is done to help minimize the raw square footage I have to store is a huge win.

I am on board with that aspect of it. As I was sliding my "Cad Bane's Escape" into a tiny little spot on a shelf I did think to myself this sure is easy to find a spot to stash this in the mound of boxes that is my collection. It's like playing Tetris.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 5, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Question...Would you guys still be buying these if they were still $25 a pop?  I bailed awhile ago, but was just wondering.

Even at $20 I've told myself "Blitz" and "Kix" printed on the back of the box isn't enough anymore (it would have been in the past) to buy repainted/retooled Clones.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: August 5, 2011, 12:49 PM »
At $20 I am more interested in sets like these, if there's something I want.  At $25 I'd never even consider it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 5, 2011, 01:33 PM »
I probably would still be buying, but I would not be buying multiples to open.
Peter