Author Topic: TRU Deluxe Speeder Bike w/Scout Trooper  (Read 11102 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Legacy Deluxe Figure & Vehicle Line
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 10:52 PM »
It was my understanding years ago that the Star Wars team that works on all the original, wide release product was separate from the team that worked on exclusives and, at the time, the 12" line (possibly other stuff).

That was indeed the way it was at the start of the line, one team based in Pawtucket, one based in Cincinatti (old Kenner), but a re-organization and office closing between ep1 and ep2 merged everyone together (and effectively killed Kenner once and for all by closing their Cincinatti offices).  Since the early 00s, it's been one Star Wars team for the most part.

it always sounded to me like different factories had different molds at their disposal.

Yep, definitely.  That's why we get certain crappy characters in the Legends assortment despite there being better versions out there - it all has to do with which molds can be used at which factory.  Based on the different machinery used and differnt tool styles, some molds/tools simply can't be transferred between factories so we end up with loads of RotS Chewie in the Legends line when we really want more VOTC Chewies, etc.

There isn't one set factory for exclusives though.  They are just run at whichever of the factories has the time to run them to meet the timeline of the retailer.  I wouldn't say that exclusives are "forced" into using only old molds.

I'm just guessing on a lot of this based on info that I've read about from various sources over the years, but would love to know if there's some logical reason for some of these decisions or if it's a coin flip on the factory end or what.  I'm sure there's a cost factor to this, as in what's the cheapest mold available to press out an exclusive, for example.  What one will make Hasbro the most money, still offer a good exclusive product for a retailer and balance all that with a retail price that consumers will pay?

I think the last part is a big concern for them right now.  I have no doubt that "cost" is the biggest reason for a lot of the decisions lately.

It may well be that the "newer" vintage Speeder Bike sculpt (the one with the corrected handle bars) has a tool that can only be used at a certain factory.  It could very well be that in order to meet TRU's wanted timing for the product and in order to meet a certain desired price point, they had no choice but to use the oldest Bike Mold since that "fit" best.

That kind of decision happens all the time - exclusives, repacks, Legends, etc.  Plenty of times in the history of the line, the cheapest alternative got chosen (CommTech Han) instead of the best choice (VOTC Han) and that was 100% due to costing goals.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 12:47 AM »
I would hope that with the 100% re-pack nature of these two sets, it will mean that TRU simply has two sets to sell at their $17.99 price point for the deluxe line that WalMart and Target can't get.

If that ends up being the case, I really see no fault with an exclusive like this.

I will probably pick up one of each to keep MIB and another set to open. If they are indeed priced at $17.99 then I'll combine them with a CW army builder when I buy them and use a $5 off $20 or more purchase. It would be great if they were actually $20 only from the perspective that it would make them $15 with the coupon.  ;D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 01:23 AM »
TRU had their exclusive Joe figures fit right in with the basic price point for the ROC figures so maybe they'll do the same with these, fit them into the Deluxe price point.  Hopefully.  They certainly didn't do that with their Commander Ponds figure...everyone always wants a premium out of the SW lines. 

Thanks for the info about Hasbro, Jeff.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I would hope that with the 100% re-pack nature of these two sets, it will mean that TRU simply has two sets to sell at their $17.99 price point for the deluxe line that WalMart and Target can't get.

If that ends up being the case, I really see no fault with an exclusive like this.

Wasn't the TRU V-Wing and the Hailfire Droid repaints $29.99 or $34.99?  Maybe I'm confused..   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 10:58 AM »

Wasn't the TRU V-Wing and the Hailfire Droid repaints $29.99 or $34.99?  Maybe I'm confused..   :-\

Those were $40 each. They did have a pack-in figure, so despite a very similar box size they didn't fit with the other $20-$25 vehicle assortment. I think the recent Gunship was priced the same as the Y-Wing/ARC assortment, so that give me some hope that these exclusive deluxe sets will be $18.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 12:06 PM »

Is the STAP with Battle Droid really a re-pack? It looks like an update to the original TCW STAP that came with the B'Omarr BP. At least the Paint apps are updated from what I can tell. I can't say for sure if they did anything with the droid though because the pic resolution is not so great.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I think the BD with STAP is a Clone Wars version, but I'm not positive.  The background is from the CW series and the paint apps look similar to the ones released for the CW film. 

Someone posted on RS today that they were in TRU and the new Deluxe sets were bumped to $19.99.  Anyone else see that?  I forgot to look at Target today to see if they had changed but that store is such a wreck right now I don't expect them to update shelf tags till they reset.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 10:21 PM »
The deluxe are $19.99 at my TRU.  They can keep them (and they do).

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 01:21 AM »
Is the STAP with Battle Droid really a re-pack? It looks like an update to the original TCW STAP that came with the B'Omarr BP. At least the Paint apps are updated from what I can tell. I can't say for sure if they did anything with the droid though because the pic resolution is not so great.

You're right - there are probably new paint apps on both sets, so they are not a straight re-release/re-pack - but like most of this line, they aren't anything "new" either. So far the only really "new" items in this line have been the canons that plug into the Turbo Tank, the Freeco Speeder, and the better articulated Obi-Wan and Dooku.

Coming up, we're getting a new AT-RT and then Anakin has what appears to be new goggles and a plastic cape, everything else that's been advertised is just a re-paint or re-release of previously released product.

So my point on price was that in this economy, for Hasbro and TRU to cook up a pair of low-effort exclusives like these, in a sub-line that is already priced at $18 for re-paints/re-packs, they should have these two pieces fit right on in with the mass-release pieces, just like, as someone already pointed out, they were able to do with the TRU Exclusive GI:Joe-RoC figures.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Yeah, it does get confusing with so much "recycling" going on in the various lines.

I guess I tend to think of re-packs more like something that has already been released in that line previously, and ONLY the packaging is different.

I fully agree there is no justification for jacking the prices on these things so they are out of line with similar items. (ala TRU and Ponds)

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: TRU Deluxe Speeder Bike w/Scout Trooper
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I've also seen the Deluxe at TRU at $20. I finally found the Freeco speeder, but no way was I shelling out that much cash for it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 04:55 PM »

I'm so hoping that's the last time they're releasing that old bike.

Amen. I refuse to buy any more of the old one.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 02:42 AM »
A new picture of this surfaced...

Clicky to check it out.

That's one grey deco on that...  The Trooper's very clean looking too, but I won't cave and buy that just for an uber clean Scout Trooper.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 12:46 AM »
I picked this up yesterday, definitely nothing to write home about. The Biker Scout has a virtually clean deco aside from the lightest of dirty washes on the boots. Also setting this version apart from the VOTC and the TAC Saga Legends figure is the fact that the boot soles were left white and not painted tan.

The speeder bike is the same ol' 15 years old mold we've been bludgeoned with only molded in gray. The saving grace of it is that it does have some weathering.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 01:00 AM »
I keep hoping it's like the AT-ST...

That it's showing up a little more frequent than usual maybe means it's getting resculpted.  I really hope so because it's rough when you look at it.  It's very out of whack.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77