Author Topic: Imperial AT-AT  (Read 150894 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Imperial AT-AT
« on: January 7, 2010, 09:14 AM »
« Last Edit: February 4, 2010, 05:03 PM by Scott »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: AT-AT
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Just saw that too - here's hoping it's legit!
« Last Edit: January 7, 2010, 09:25 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Interesting. Most interesting. I wonder how big that thing will be.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2010, 10:19 AM »
It looks like they are going to justify the high price by including a speeder :)  Hasbro can't be to upset if that is how it gets leaked.  It looks like their own ad.  Anyway cool news if true.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Very cool.  I am very interested to see how it turns out.   ;D

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2010, 10:53 AM »
I think it's a pretty safe bet that an AT-AT is on the radar for 2010 but I have no idea what direction Hasbro will decide to go with it.  I think it could definitely be in the $100 range if Hasbro wanted to make it work.  They could also easily go the $150-ish route like the BMF and see what happens. 

The slide that JTA has looks relatively professional, like something you'd see from Hasbro, but a really creative person could definitely fake it.  I don't think JTA would fake it so it would be interesting to know where it came from, if the source is sound.  My guess is that it might be since JTA seems to have a decent rep for this type of thing.

Anyway, it won't be much longer till we hear the plans for 2010.  Hopefully some good news will come out of the UK toy show, which is later this month, and we won't have to wait all the way to February.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2010, 12:41 PM »
The slide looks weak, but I can totally see Hasbro using that for some sort of internal presentation. 

Here's to hoping that it's legit, and that it's a nice surprise in the $100 price offering.   :)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Ya it looks pretty lame to me as well, but hopefully we'll see something pan out next month.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I'm hopefuly for the AT-AT to come out, but I'm also going to be cautious about picking one up right away. Since I've seen where waiting could have saved me half as much on the Falcon, AT-TE, and Turbo Tank, I see the same thing happening with the AT-AT as well.

I'll prolly buy one at full price, with the hopes of returning it to buy it back cheaper.

Meh, either way, I know I'll own at least one of these.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2010, 01:17 PM »
I'm also going to be cautious about picking one up right away. Since I've seen where waiting could have saved me half as much

That's the catch-22.  If we buy at full price, it sucks to spend more, but it tells Hasbro yes there is a market for this stuff.  If we wait, we save 50%, but then Hasbro gets to say "see no one wants this at the price it costs us to make it".

On one hand, I'd love to support the big-money stuff to show Hasbro there's a market for it (and hopefully get more "big" things llike a Sail Barge or whatever), but on the other hand who doesn't like the idea of waiting and saving $50-70 bucks?   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2010, 01:23 PM »
The slide looks weak, but I can totally see Hasbro using that for some sort of internal presentation.  

Here's to hoping that it's legit, and that it's a nice surprise in the $100 price offering.   :)

completely agree about the "weakness" of the slide.  I am not sure what the purpose of the slide is, but I would think that if I, as a company, were showing off a new big box toy item, there would be a lot more focus on the actual toy itself - and not having what appears to me as a primary focus on two characters from the cartoon.

edit:  Plus you can find this picture is also dated all the way back from as early as March 2009

plus I would think any picture would atleast make some sort of attempt to to show off atleast one of the bulletted features...

Still hoping this is legit but I definitely do have my doubts.  

As for saving money on these big items - if I love it I will rush out and grab it full price, I did on both the Falcon and the Target Jabba Rancor.  If I am not head over heals about it but I do kinda like it I may pick it up on clearance, which is what I did end up doing for both the AT-TE ($50 at TRU this past summer) and the Turbo Tank ($45 after Christmas with a $5 off coupon at WM).
« Last Edit: January 7, 2010, 01:27 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2010, 01:28 PM »
Indeed.  The wait and see clearance mentality can serve you well personally & financially, but in the grand scheme of things does that hurt the line?  When you have hundreds or possibly thousands of collectors doing that I think there's the potential for a negative impact on future big items.  If a significant number of collectors use the wait and see approach on the new AT-AT, it can only have a negative affect on the release of future large vehicle offerings.

As for the veracity of the slide?  I'm on the editorial board at JTA, and was privy to the leadup to our staff receiving this image.  It was presented to JTA as a retailer solicitation.  But the lack of an actual product image led to our staff adding the disclaimer to our own report that nothing is official until Hasbro tells us otherwise.  Everyone at JTA is excited about this news, but we're also wary about the use of unofficial sources.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Thanks for that bit of insight Nick.  I'm quite excited about the news and hope a new AT-AT is indeed coming our way.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2010, 02:01 PM »
I certainly hope this pans out as well, and I would think (hope) we'd find out at Toy Fair in about a month.  I'm curious to see what they could do with a new AT-AT at the $100 pricepoint (if that is where it is), because I thought if we ever saw a re-do of this it would be closer to the Falcon's original price.  Not that I'm complaining, $100 is better than $150 any day.

As far as the "buy now or wait for clearance" issue, I feel much the same as others here.  It is nice to save the $50 or more on these things, but at the same time it probably hurts that whole section of the line (in this case, large vehicles) if we all do that.  It totally depends on the item for me too.  I paid full price for things like the Falcon and Rancor (both of which saw clearance) as well as the AT-ST and Dewback (which haven't yet that I know of).  On the other hand, I waited on the AT-TE (mostly out of necessity) and saved $50...I also waited on the Turbo Tank for the same reason, although I couldn't really pick it up when I saw it for $50 at Wal-Mart and I'm still on the fence on whether or not I need one or not.  That being said, if we do see this all new AT-AT (depending on how it looks), I'll pick it up at full price.  That would probably go for any OT vehicle that we'd see redone, depending on the quality of course.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2010, 02:09 PM by Brian »

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 7, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Endor AT-AT was about 89.99.  We are now going to get a bigger, better, more features for $10 more?  When the price of the ARC and Gunships are twice as much?  Unless Hasbro is feeling generous, the numbers don't seem to add up.  Then throw in a speeder bike and Scout.  Here's to hope. :-\