Author Topic: Imperial AT-AT  (Read 150545 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: AT-AT
« Reply #15 on: January 7, 2010, 02:24 PM »
It took 27 pages of searching "AT-AT" in google images but I am calling it a fake now.  The below image was just flipped/enhanced.

Looks like it is an "easykit" if you scroll down to the bottom of this page

:'(
« Last Edit: January 7, 2010, 02:25 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 7, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Endor AT-AT was about 89.99.  We are now going to get a bigger, better, more features for $10 more?  When the price of the ARC and Gunships are twice as much?  Unless Hasbro is feeling generous, the numbers don't seem to add up.  Then throw in a speeder bike and Scout.  Here's to hope. :-\

Yeah, I completely agree with this statement.

I can't see a new AT-AT at $100 when just a couple of years ago at TRU it went for the same or very near the same price and that was on an old Kenner mold with just some new deco.

If this new one is bigger (and it should be-much bigger) and with all those bells and whistles, plus a speederbike and figure, then I'd expect Hasbro to charge $150 for it. Not that I'd like it, just what I've come to expect from them.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this news.

As for the wait and see approach, since I've been slashing my budget in half every year for three years straight now, I have precious few dollars to spend on SW. Oh I could spend more, but the whole point was to have money for other things (mostly the new home I just bought in November). So Hasbro WILL have to knock my socks off to pay for it full price. Otherwise, I have no problem with waiting, unless of course I see it fly off the shelves, then I'll buy now and return later for cheaper as stated above. It's an unfortunate "game" but one I've heard repeated by others many times. I'm just now doing it. AS far as other big items, there really is only ONE I want and that is Jabba's Sail Barge. Since the big "H" has already written that one off as "No way, no how" then I'm fine if the AT-AT would be the last of the big vehicles/ships.

I've got less and less room for this stuff, so it does become a competition of do I have the room, do I really want to spend that much, is it really worth that much.

To each their own of course. None of us is wrong in deciding to buy it immediately or wait.

I think it speaks more to Hasbro raises prices to the point where we even have to discuss these options.

One thing I would hope for, but doubt we'll get is a NEW Speederbike design with a better overall sculpt and mostly correct handles.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #17 on: January 7, 2010, 03:11 PM »
I don't think the shot in the slide was intended to be the actual toy.  I recognized that shot immediatly as something I've seen before.  I think the slide was just saying "this is an AT-AT"...

I agree about the price, for 100.00, I don't think it will be that big.  Make it jumbo and 150.00, and I'll buy.

And yes, if you can afford it, buy at full price.  I'm sure Hasbro has the ability to see that a new, expensive item is flying off the shelves.  It does give them feedback.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 7, 2010, 03:37 PM »
It certainly will give us something to look forward to at Toy Fair.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: January 7, 2010, 04:07 PM »
The thing about an AT-AT is it's all leg...  Think about the Octuparra Droid.  $35 netted you an exclusive and impressive looking toy, but the plastic content's not what you'd think.

What I'm curious on now is the scale...  "Larger than life"?  That's big talk on this, so if they can deliver then kudos to Hasbro.  Good for the folks who are really wanting a new AT-AT though, and it's a good ESB 30th item.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #20 on: January 7, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Yeah, I completely agree with this statement.

I can't see a new AT-AT at $100 when just a couple of years ago at TRU it went for the same or very near the same price and that was on an old Kenner mold with just some new deco.

Keep in mind that that particular versions was only available at TRU which can only move so many units. If they get full distribution like the TT and AT-TE that would greatly affect the price for the better because they have the greater volume. Using a TRU exclusive and the base is apple to oranges.
If they can do the Turbo Tank I am confident they can pull this off,

I hope it's true!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 7, 2010, 04:35 PM »
I don't think the shot in the slide was intended to be the actual toy.  I recognized that shot immediatly as something I've seen before.  I think the slide was just saying "this is an AT-AT"...

Ok, but having said that - do you actually think Hasbro would be flipping, enhancing, and using an image of a product that was not owned by them?  Hasbro does not make Easykits.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 7, 2010, 04:45 PM »
I don't think the shot in the slide was intended to be the actual toy.  I recognized that shot immediatly as something I've seen before.  I think the slide was just saying "this is an AT-AT"...

Ok, but having said that - do you actually think Hasbro would be flipping, enhancing, and using an image of a product that was not owned by them?  Hasbro does not make Easykits.

What makes you so absolutely certain that the image is that of the Easykit model?  It could very well be a shot of the model from TESB that Lucasfilm provided to both Hasbro and Easykit/Revell.  The most likely explanation for the image is that it's a still provided by Lucasfilm to Hasbro for retail solicitation until there's an approved prototype image that can be presented.

As for the price point being around $100?  Based on what we saw with the Octuptarra Droid which is almost all legs, a large AT-AT does not necessarily have to cost as much as the BMF Falcon.  Those legs can fold or detach in order to make the box fit into that $100 packaging footprint.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Another positive to an AT-AT, and I've mentioned it before I think, is it's got the kid/Clone appeal not many other OT vehicles have going for it.  I think the AT-ST has something similar up its sleeve, in terms of sales.  Walkers in general are kind of Clone-y regardless what film they came from I figure.

For those really wanting one I'm happy for them though...  I'm curious to see what it actually is...  Like I said, that's a bit of boasting with the "larger than life", because life's pretty large on this one. ;)  My usual standards apply to this like anything else, so I'm not too hopeful for myself, but I'm anxious to see it regardless, just based on past stuff in the bigger price point.

My guess on the kit image is that it's not ready to be displayed at the time of this slide's creation...  Just a thought there.  These days though, anything (including a fake) is possible though, but I'm willing to go with this as being all legit and things.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2010, 04:59 PM »
I don't think the shot in the slide was intended to be the actual toy.  I recognized that shot immediatly as something I've seen before.  I think the slide was just saying "this is an AT-AT"...

What makes you so absolutely certain that the image is that of the Easykit model?  It could very well be a shot of the model from TESB that Lucasfilm provided to both Hasbro and Easykit/Revell.  The most likely explanation for the image is that it's a still provided by Lucasfilm to Hasbro for retail solicitation until there's an approved prototype image that can be presented.

you are right, I am not certain.  I just don't think Hasbro would go the lazy route of photoshopping an old image, and its presentation to bigbox sellers in such a manner.  Hasbro would show off a $100 vehicle loud and proud.   I just can't see them not showing off the features - and just saying to these companies "Trust us, its going to be cool - here is a very small picture of what it might end up looking like".

I am hoping that the item is coming - I just think this slide, for the time being - is a fake.  perhaps I am wrong, hopefully I am, I just doubt it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2010, 04:59 PM »
do you actually think Hasbro would be flipping, enhancing, and using an image of a product that was not owned by them?

Well, Hasbro has been caught using pics they lifted off the 'net before...  last example I remember was using some 501st legion guy's pic to make up the card art for the Legends Sandtrooper card:

Hasbro would show off a $100 vehicle loud and proud.   I just can't see them not showing off the features

That is what Toy Fair is for...  showing off the toys.  ;)

Many times retailers are mailed promo info for the 3rd/4th quarter goods in advance of Toy Fair so they can start planning for holiday orders.  Toy Fair is then the place they get to see the stuff in person...
« Last Edit: January 7, 2010, 05:02 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 7, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Wow Jeff, thanks for that example.  See, I could be wrong, and I am ok with that.

I hope that 501st guy got paid!

edit:  user Rebeltrooper over at rebelscum is now reporting he called Hasbro and gave them the item number and according to him the Hasbro employee on the line confirmed it was a "Super Deluxe Vehicle AT-AT"!  glad I am wrong   ;D
« Last Edit: January 7, 2010, 05:15 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #27 on: January 7, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Ha!  We want Hasbro to pay the guy from the 501st?  Then he'd be making money off a BOOTLEG suit.  He didn't pay Lucas to make that thing =)

Also, the pic is from The Art of the Empire Strikes back.  I can't pull mine right now, but I grew up with that book.  The mountains in the back are unmistakably the Mike Pangrazziano paintings that ILM used.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 7, 2010, 07:31 PM »
A guy over at RS who has been a member since 2001 claimed to have called the Hasbro customer service line, inquiring about the item number.  After checking her computer, the lady said it was indeed an AT-AT.  I suppose we could try to do the same tomorrow!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 7, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Ha!  We want Hasbro to pay the guy from the 501st?  Then he'd be making money off a BOOTLEG suit.  He didn't pay Lucas to make that thing =)

I would think that if the picture is the guys property, and as you said, the suit is a bootleg, then yeah, I think the guy could have a case.