Author Topic: Toy Fair 2010!  (Read 35107 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Toy Fair 2010!
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39 PM »
I think I'll count myself out for a carded set, especially if the Free Boba sticker is as horribly placed as this.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Wow, I am in for all the vintage cards at this point.  Those look amazing!  Thanks for the pictures guys!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2010, 11:14 PM »
I think I'll count myself out for a carded set, especially if the Free Boba sticker is as horribly placed as this.

The good thing is that the sticker is supposed to be easily removable, so the card should display much better than that.

I'm dangerously close to collecting carded figures again...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2010, 11:14 PM »

I hope the stickers are easy to remove. You're right, sticker placement makes the overall package look horrible.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Thanks, guys, for the great news and pictures!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2010, 11:20 PM »
Just to confirm - yes, the fett sticker is designed to peel off easily for those who want clean cards. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Just to confirm - yes, the fett sticker is designed to peel off easily for those who want clean cards.  

Ah, that's good news. Or not good news, since now I'm in for several hundred more dollars.  :-\

And thanks guys for the fantastic coverage!  :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:24 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Am I alone in finding Hasbro's 2010 Star Wars offerings lackluster compared to previous years.

I always was lefting drooling over a good handful of figures, this year, almost nothing.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2010, 11:28 AM »
I was curious how many people would be going "carded/loose" again with this line.  I've never really collected that way aside from the previous VOTC and VTSC lines (and a Han/Chewie collection), but I have to admit that I'm awfully tempted with the return of the vintage cardbacks as well.  It will all depend on what the budget will allow, but there should be some months to save up here I guess.

Also, although we knew that the battle packs were going back to kid-friendly (for the most part) and the slimmer box, it really seemed like there was very little to reveal as far as that line went.  For the "movie" side of things, I think the only new one was the Hoth one (Vader/Snowtrooper/Hoth Scout w/Bike)...but again, I'm sure there will be more to come at SDCC.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:18 PM by Brian »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2010, 05:18 PM »
I was curious how many people would be going "carded/loose" again with this line.

I've been carded since I started in 01, but HATED the newer Legacy cards, so I cracked a wave open, but felt awful so I'm on track especially since we're going back to vintage packaging.  I'm sure there's a bunch of openers that will stray back, but who knows.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2010, 05:40 PM »
I was curious how many people would be going "carded/loose" again with this line.

I've been carded since I started in 01, but HATED the newer Legacy cards, so I cracked a wave open, but felt awful so I'm on track especially since we're going back to vintage packaging.  I'm sure there's a bunch of openers that will stray back, but who knows.

I won't buy a set to keep carded, however I will CAREFULLY remove the bubble form the card so I have as pristine card as possible with the bubble off of it. Then I can easily put it into a slip cover and into a book. (I've done this with the last several card designs, so it's nothing new for me.) I just can't justify the cost and reasoning to keep stuff carded now. Of all my collection I'd guess less than 7-10 is carded/boxed.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33 PM »
I won't buy a set to keep carded, however I will CAREFULLY remove the bubble form the card so I have as pristine card as possible with the bubble off of it. Then I can easily put it into a slip cover and into a book.

Very cool idea.  I'm pretty sure I've kept the cards from all of my opener VOTC/VTSC figures, so that would be a neat way to sit down and enjoy them along with TVC cards.  I've certainly never bothered to keep the cardbacks from any other line.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37 AM »
I'm not going to be going the carded collectionj route, but there's a chance I'll try to remove the bubbles without damaging the cards I think.

I like the cardbacks, and the look will be distinct for sure.

Everything they showed was pretty great though.  I wasn't disappointed with much.  I even was real into the AT-AT which I don't have an immediate intention to buy...  But I still dug it. 

The figures, I am easy because I like resculpts...  To me, the line's almost got a wealth of them deeper than new figures IMO.  I've got a laundry list a mile long of stuff I'd enjoy seeing redone, or even just tweaked, and I'd gladly buy it again.  If it's a big enough improvement I'm pretty happy, so figures like Bespin Luke (now we've seen that up close), are really nice.  A bit recent, but still really nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Yeah, I pretty much want to clear out a lot of my older modern figures in favor of the vintage syle cardbacks.  I don't think I can go the buy 1 carded and 1 loose route though.  Maybe with a few of them?  I'll see later on. 

I actually like a lot that was shown at Toy Fair this year.  Although it would have been nice to more of the figures in the vintage line.  I kind of thought they would not since we don't even get the first wave until August.  Oh well. 

The AT-AT looked pretty darn good.  I am sucker for the Rocket Firing Fett. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Well, looking back I feel disappointed we didn't see anything larger than the standard vehicles for the TCW line. No gunship, no Y-Wing, no Turbo Tank or At-Te equivalent. I hope they plan to roll something more compelling out for SDCC.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy