Author Topic: Toy Fair 2010!  (Read 35109 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2010!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Hasbro has been on the record in the past saying that the pack-in adds nothing to the final retail price of the toy, it's a bonus.  Now, obviously there's a cost associated with every pack-in, so it's up to debate how much, if any, of that they pass on to us in the MSRP.

If any pack-in over the last 15 years has really been one that would increase the price significantly at retail, it's the droid parts since they have their own paint apps and some of the protocol-style droids don't share parts like the astro droids do.  Good luck getting any type of real number out of Hasbro, though.  Like Jman said, forum posters are really the ones that used the droid part as a rationalization for the price increase, whether it's true or not from Hasbro's point of view.

I'd put money on this new game aspect to the figures being in the Clone Wars line but not the collector oriented one.  It looks sort of like a Top Trumps game mechanic adapted for action figure use.  I'm not sure how it compares to WOTC or something like Bakugan or whaterver Japanimation game is popular now.  If nothing else, looks like stands will be coming to the CW collection.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I'm not too concerned whether the BAD parts led to the price increase, but what I do know is that by Hasbro's own admission, collector purchases dropped by 30-40%, so I fear if this year we have a lame pack-in and Hasbro / retail maintain the $8 MSRP, we might lose more collectors.  ToyFair will be very telling - we might see the rise or fall of the collector focused line based on what they show.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:45 PM by darth_sidious »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, it's a free stand and I'm quite ok with that, regardless of the gaming pieces.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 09:54 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, it's a free stand and I'm quite ok with that, regardless of the gaming pieces.

I am glad there's a stand included too - at least it's not a total waste for non gamers.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think that last year Toy Fair was a big letdwon, and we saw very little new stuff.  I'm worried that everything will leak in the days before the event, making it a non-event.  In fact, looking back at Toy Fair 2009, alll of the product shown was released before ComiCon.  Therefore, we may see NO new figures outside of Clone Wars stuff.  Hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:14 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 02:04 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think that last year Toy Fair was a big letdwon, and we saw very little new stuff.  I'm worried that everything will leak in the days before the event, making it a non-event.  In fact, looking back at Toy Fair 2009, alll of the product shown was released before ComiCon.  Therefore, we may see NO new figures outside of Clone Wars stuff.  Hope I'm wrong.

That is sort of what I'm worrying about as well.  I can't recall word for word, but I think Hasbro has said in the Q and A's that we'll be getting a peek at the "new line look" for Legacy...so hopefully we'll see not only the cardbacks, but maybe the first wave or two as well.  I'm hoping for that, finished versions of the new "starfighter" assortment vehicles (Snowspeeder, Cloud Car, etc.), and hopefully the AT-AT.

I was thinking about this today, but I'm trying to remember the last time Toy Fair had a big "wow" moment for Star Wars toys.  It seems like so much gets leaked early, or is held back, that we don't often get rocked by a big surprise anymore.  I was thinking it was when the VOTC line came out, but those got premiered online first I think (at Hasbro's own site, for a change).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 02:16 PM »
In fact, looking back at Toy Fair 2009, alll of the product shown was released before ComiCon.  Therefore, we may see NO new figures outside of Clone Wars stuff.  Hope I'm wrong.

That is sort of what I'm worrying about as well.

Well, based on the fact that Hasbro puts the whole Saturday afternoon shin-dig together for the collector media, they'd be stupid not to show off any collector targeted product.  They are smart enough to foresee how much vitriol there'd be on the net if they completely ignored the movie stuff during an event like this one and only showed off the CW stuff.

Sure, it may not be "new" new or much of a surprise based on how things are leaking once again this year, but there will be something there for collector sites to see/discuss/share with the readers back home.  I'm fully expecting at least a preview of the Fall 2010 cardback and at least one Fall basic figure wave.  Pepper in some vehicles (Snow, Cloud, AT-AT, etc) and probably some previews/teases of the summer con exclusives an maybe a few retailer exclusives for Fall.  Pretty similar to last year.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:17 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 02:44 PM »
I"m just wondering who all is going to cover this. Apparently JD isn't going to be there, and now GH isn't either. I don't really want my news from RS and I self exiled myself from SSG, so I won't be looking there either.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Apparently JD isn't going to be there

??? No one said JD wasn't going to be there this year...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 02:49 PM »
Apparently JD isn't going to be there

??? No one said JD wasn't going to be there this year...

Really? I thought Jesse or someone else said they weren't going. Okay, so JD IS going to be there then? If so good!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 02:50 PM »
I"m just wondering who all is going to cover this. Apparently JD isn't going to be there, and now GH isn't either. I don't really want my news from RS and I self exiled myself from SSG, so I won't be looking there either.

Check out Jedi Temple Archives...they are crushing every other site right now with the breaking news.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 09:47 AM »
I think the game idea is pretty clever. I'd rather keep the BAD thing, but at least I'll get more stands.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I think the game idea is pretty clever. I'd rather keep the BAD thing, but at least I'll get more stands.

I agree the game idea is good, for kids. It most likely won't have a huge impact on collectors buying more though.

I'll miss the BaD parts. Stands will be just ok. I just really wish the freakin' price would drop by a $1. I really think that would rope back in people who quit entirely or really dropped their purchasing habits.

When is TF anyway this year? I still haven't seen a date for it.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 11:40 AM »
The whole game thing really bothers me.  It just reinforces my theories that children lo longer know how to "play."  Children are starting organized sports, and video games, at such an early age these days, that they no longer know how to play in an unstrcutured, open-ended scenario.  With sports, and video games, the goal is clear and simple; win.  But when they pick up toys, they don't know what the goal is. . It's really sad, and I've made sure that my boys (3 1/2 and 5) get plenty of unstructured play time. 
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com