Author Topic: Flu Outbreak 2009  (Read 9219 times)

Offline JES

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Flu Outbreak 2009
« Reply #45 on: November 3, 2009, 09:32 AM »
Scott, hope you ride it out quickly with no complications.

In RI the next state over we've lost two teenage girls in a matter of a week. Really scary stuff.

I know I fear my little ones getting it. I do realize that 99% of people get through it, but 1% is 1% in my eyes and with kids that small percentage might as well be 50%.

I have to say I, myself, am scared of getting this one. I have asthma and I generally go through at least one upper respiratory infection every year (two years ago pnuemonia) so this is one that has me on alert. Since the bacterial part of the flu seems to be the one that fills the lungs incredibly fast and seems to be the killer. So definitely more concerned with getting this one.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 4, 2009, 02:14 PM »
I've already had H1N1 this year - it knocked me on my butt for a while - though I only got one day off.  I wasn't concerned about it - but my Dr. was.  My lungs are damaged from several bouts with bacterial pneumonia in the last 3 years.  I need a rescue inhaler every time I get a respitory infection.  I did a round of Tamiflu, but the darn thing seems to be lingering 4 weeks later.  My 4 year old had it too, but her most noteable symptom was the high fever, which only lasted 3 days, thank God.  My 8 year old still gets the croup and goes into respitory distress everytime he gets a cold - so he's the one I am concerned about.  Not because of the media hype - but because he lands in the E.R. everytime this happens. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 4, 2009, 10:50 PM »
I had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago.  By the second day my fever was pushing 103.5, about the highest I've ever had it that I can remember.  Other than that it was exactly the same as regular flu, and I recovered in 4-5 days. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 11:38 AM »
So how are we doing these days? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Remember that conversation we had about climate change?  Well, let's just say that somebody made some nice coin off of the swine flu scare!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2010, 05:34 PM »
I had a sore throat last week, but I'm good now.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2010, 11:49 AM »
All was well in our house until a couple of weeks ago.  On Monday am my 8 y.o. woke up w/a sinus/ear infection and a fever.  He just kept feeling worse and weaker.  On Wed. am I had to go in for scheduled surgery - so my mother-in-law came to stay over.  She came to the house with a stuffy nose feeling crappy.  While I was in the hospital she called my husband to say she was sick as a dog - she went to the Dr. and was diagnosed w/the flu.  So he went home to take care of the kiddos.  I started getting a post-op fever.  So after a day or two of the Drs. scrambling, they did a flu test on me - score!  So now I am getting over the flu while recovering from surgery - and yesterday the 5 y.o. wakes up with a stomach bug.  :(   

You asked Brent  :-*
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck Tracy  :-\  Which flu version didja get...

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 1, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Thanks Brent :)  Type A this time around.  I got vaccinated for both strains and ended up contracting both strains this season. ???

Wait - it gets better - at 2zm tne 8 y.o. starts with the plumbing on both ends and by 5 a.m. my hubby - who has already been home for 8 days taking care of me - started with it too.  I am staying far, far away.......

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 1, 2010, 10:00 AM »

... starts with the plumbing on both ends .......

Awesome visual  :D