Author Topic: Other Toy Lines and You...New Forum Section?  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Other Toy Lines and You...New Forum Section?
« on: July 16, 2003, 03:29 PM »
We here at JediDefender have come to realization that most of us collect other things besides SW...McFarlane, Simpsons, LOTR, Charlie Brown ???, etc etc

So, we have been kicking around the idea of starting a new section on the forums which deals with these lines and removes that talk from Watto's

Watto's will remain the place to talk about What You Look Like, Llamas, Current Events, Sports, Politics  :P, Music, Movies and everything else

So we are putting it up for debate and seeing what you the gentle readers and members of the site have to say

In the words of an infamous doofus

Thoughts?[/i]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 03:29 PM by OCB »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Other Toy Lines and You...New Forum Section?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 03:32 PM »
I say go for it, its a good idea.  Maybe a seperate trade / sell section within the other toy section for trading / selling of said toys.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 03:40 PM »

In the words of an infamous doofus

Thoughts?[/i]

;D

I can see the logic behind starting something like this.   If you wanted to talk about  the "Simpsons"  and you only had one thread to rely on (so Watto's wouldn't get cluttered) it takes a lot of past digging if you're new here to see if a topic has been covered.  Hence, a new section to other toy lines could have several "Simpson" threads (ie:  Figures, exclusives, environment sets etc..)  and not bog down Watto's.  That said, I think Watto's would still get hit with threads and isn't that kind of what Watto's is for??? Kind of a "catch-all" place?  

Funny this should come up since I just started getting interested in the Kubricks figures and that thread is REALLY taken off and it's a pain in the butt to read each page to see if some questions I have are already answered somewhere else. I guess this same thing could happen to someone who just arrived here and seen a "McFarlane" (sp??) thread 20 pages long might repost already covered topics and another section with lets say, five MrFarlene threads might help the person find what they want quicker.

It would be one more stop to check out I guess, so if that's what everyone wants I'll just stop there too!!

*end my thoughts*

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 03:48 PM »
What I have seen done at other boards is to lock threads and start new one every now and then to keep the thread size down and addresses the length topic rather nicely

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 04:08 PM »
This is a great idea OCB.  I know I sometimes feel bad posting all these questions in Watto's about other toylines (Marvel Legends, MOTU, Simpsons, etc.).  Also, like you said, it seems like many of us are interested in other lines, especially with the Star Wars drought.  I know I would visit the new forum, as well as Watto's for other general discussion. :)  Plus, we might be having more posting going on with new pictures from different toy lines coming up at Comic Con this week/weekend. :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 04:09 PM by mosnab »

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 04:08 PM »
I think it's a good idea. From someone who does collect a couple other lines, it would be easier if those threads were in their own section. Would keep them from being buried 2-3 pages back if no one posts in them for a couple days. It may also stop newer members, who aren't aware of them or who don't dig for them, from started up new threads over and over.

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 07:24 PM »
Great idea! ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 11:45 PM »
I like the idea very much, they won't get buried like they do in this section.

I'm not sure about the trading section being separate though.  I'd be more inclined to keep trading in one section but perhaps headline a trade thread as containing or looking for items other than conventional SW.  JMHO.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
New Forum Section...Other Toy Lines!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 01:42 AM »
Today is the debut of a new forum section here at JediDefender:

Other Toy Lines

By popular demand this section has been added so that you, our members can talk about your other non-SW collecting!

Have Fun :-*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 01:44 AM by OCB »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 02:03 AM »
And so it shall be...

Done.   8)

Offline jara19

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 12:35 AM »
This is a great idea, OCB!   ;D

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2003, 05:22 PM »
Excellant idea! ;D It'll give me a place to talk about the new "Hellraiser" figures and other obscure lines.