Author Topic: The Apple iPad Thread  (Read 20483 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Apple iPad Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 04:20 PM »
The new new new iPad has been anounced along with the iPad mini.

The new new new iPad has a faster cpu, a new 720p facetime camera on the front and lightning connector like the iphone 5 does.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/apple-4th%20generation-ipad/#continued

The iPad mini is 7.9" 16gb for $329.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/apple-ipad-mini/#continued
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2012, 04:30 PM »
And, so now, everyone runs to dump their year old iPads that they upgraded to in order to get this new one, right?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2012, 04:50 PM »
And, so now, everyone runs to dump their year old iPads that they upgraded to in order to get this new one, right?

E...

Regarding the Mini... of course not, but people who didn't want to spend $600 or $700 on one for whatever reason have something to think about.  Kid wants an iPad?  Maybe it's more doable now. 

Regarding the full-sized one... maybe.  If the last generation holds it's value well, you can generally sell them and then buy the new one at a small out of pocket cost.  I've been doing that with my phone since the 3G (sometimes with no out of pocket cost).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:51 PM by Rob »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Nice thing is the lightning connector is now standard across all new Apple products.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Here is a spec comparsion between the Mini and the Nexus 7/Kindle HD/Nook.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/the-ipad-mini-vs-the-competition-specs/#continued

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: August 5, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Long story short:  while camping, my 1.5 yr old daughter grabbed my 3rd-gen iPad. Dropped it square onto a rock. Dented the case. Shattered the glass.  No worries, I have the protection plan (duh, 4 kids).  Rather than try to repair all the damage, Best Buy opted to replace it with a brand new 4th-gen iPad.

Great, right?  Well, mostly great, but not all great.  All of my accessories (car charger, sd card reader, usb reader, VGA adapter, etc) have the old connector, while my new 4th-gen iPad uses the new lightning connector.

So, my question is - anyone have experience with 30-pin to lightning adapters?  I see all sorts of conflicting reviews online, just wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience? 

Doesn't sound like the Apple adapter supports video, so my VGA adapter is probably screwed (though I can still use that with our 1st-gen iPad).  Mainly I'm hoping that the 30pin adapter will allow me to continue to use my SD reader to download pics off my SLR camera for iPad FTP photo uploads while on the road (like, say at New York Toy Fair next February :P).
« Last Edit: August 5, 2013, 04:52 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 6, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Ugh.  Can you get Best Buy to just give you a refurbished model that matches your old one?  Seems like they should have to replace with the same item or provide you with updated accessories if you bought them all at Best Buy.  I did not go with the protection plan for ours.  Hoping I don't regret it, but I've never had good luck with warranty plans because of crap like this.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 7, 2013, 12:07 AM »
You might be able to sell the 4th gen and buy a new 3rd gen with the proceeds.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00 AM »
I bought a new car about 2 weeks after I got an iPhone5.  The dealer exitedly handed me this box that hjad a cord that was made to fit the USB and minijack connectors in the console.  The other end of the cord had a 30-pin adapter.  :(

I use this cord with a Lightning to 30-Pin adapter and it seems to work OK.