Author Topic: The Apple iPad Thread  (Read 20475 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Apple iPad Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 6, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I am typing this on an an iPad I hope it comes out ok, there are fingerprints all over the screen.

It is pretty neat but I like my net book better. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 7, 2010, 01:37 PM »
It looks ok except for all the fingerprints your leaving all over the forums. Where is the Windex?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 2, 2011, 05:07 PM »

Apple has just made its second-generation iPad official! It features a 1GHz dual-core A5 chip and, finally, cameras, both on the front and rear. The new CPU is said to be up to twice as fast, with graphics performance up to nine times better than on the original iPad, while power requirements have been kept the same. Battery life is, consequently, unaltered, with Apple promising 10 hours. Pricing, too, has been left unchanged, starting at $499 for a 16GB WiFi-only iPad 2 and stretching up to $829 for a WiFi + 3G SKU with 64GB of storage. The new tablet will come with an HDMI output capable of 1080p -- which will set you back $39 for the requisite dongle, called an Apple Digital AV Adapter -- but there will sadly be no rumblings of Thunderbolt connectivity here. What you will get is an enlarged speaker grille on the back, as expected, and the same 1024 x 768 resolution and IPS LCD screen technology as on the original iPad.

Release date is March 11th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/the-ipad-2/
« Last Edit: March 2, 2011, 05:07 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 2, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Love my iPad... very tempted to upgrade.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 2, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Steve Jobs posed for quite possibly the most ironic photo of the day:

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 3, 2011, 03:20 AM »
Apple worship is for the feeble minded.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Hey.  I'm thinking of buying an Ipad mainly for use as a multi-media sketchbook.  I can use some apps for drawing and some for writing and have it all in one place.  I'd also like it for the e-reader stuff, and will hopefully see my children's books on it soon.

Anyone have one?   Thoughts?   Warnings?  Rants?  Let me know.---Mike
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I have one and I haven't put it down - it's very cool and if you're looking to write/draw/read in it, it's perfect.  I have written a few short stories on it and some of a novel on it now.  Extremely useful.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 08:56 PM »
I have two. The original and I just upgraded to the iPad 2. I use mine everyday. In fact I'm writing this post on it right now.

I use mine for Internet, games, and movies mostly. I have a couple of the free drawing apps though I haven't invested any serious time using them. I wonder if they'd be sensitive enough for a serious artist like yourself.

If I was going to do any serious typing using it, I would invest in the keyboard as well.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 10:54 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I won't be able to use it for actual artwork as the dpi within the illsutartion programs is very low.  I think many are 72dpi and just meant for the web.  But I really want to use it for sketching and working out ideas.

I'm also hot on the idea of having a notebook/sketchbook that is non linear.  I have a few sketchbooks going at all times.  But one night I might work on some fun drawings, then some notes for a story, them some life drawing.  A few nights later, if I want to make story notes once again, I've got pages of sketches in between, and sometimes feel like I overlook ideas because they are all spread out.  (Does that make sense?  I know I'm a writer and all, but man, it's late.)
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #25 on: July 2, 2011, 08:08 PM »
I received a 14 Gig WiFi only iPad 2 as a gift recently. It will definitely come in handy during my upcoming deployment with Facetime and Skype.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33 PM »
I just found out that I'm going to be getting a free iPad 2 for a class this semester. I have to give it back to the school in December but it the mean time I get to keep it as if it were mine until then. It should be very interesting to see if it lives up the hype. I am by no means a Mac geek and have been PC user nearly forever, so we'll see if this changes my mind at all.

I am not looking forward to iTunes, that's for sure.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 11:27 PM »
I'm totally on board with the idea of getting one at some point.  I'm going to hold out until 2012 for the 2048x1536 screen on the iPad 3 though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 12:16 AM »
I just found out that I'm going to be getting a free iPad 2 for a class this semester. I have to give it back to the school in December but it the mean time I get to keep it as if it were mine until then. It should be very interesting to see if it lives up the hype. I am by no means a Mac geek and have been PC user nearly forever, so we'll see if this changes my mind at all.

I am not looking forward to iTunes, that's for sure.

iTunes is alright....been using it for a few years with my iPod...and it synchs the iPad just as easily.  In fact, I can synch the iPad wirelessly if I choose to.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Too bad you are stuck with Apple to buy everything though. That is the iPads advantage and disadvantage over the competition.