Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 107490 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I am extremely impressed w/ the sculpts... they are very clean and defined, and the sculpting/quality of action figures these days is very impressive.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I'd agree...

This is something I'm noticing more and more, but sculpting sharpness and detail is improving, and it was something I wasn't sure could go a step further.  My immediate impression is comparing it with Snowspeeder Luke.  His likeness, the outfit, and almost every detail is a little crisper than other figures.  Compared to SS Luke, the Dak figure's body isn't quite as sharp.  It's small in difference, but it's there.

The headsculpts though, they're very crisp and similar.  The AT-AT Commander's Jagdpur pants from Tank are really a good example of that sharper sculpting though.  Very crisp, lots of detail and folding.  Far superior to most any other Imperial figure's pants...  it's not the newest sculpt either, but it's that trend towards a more crisp realistic look I think.

Sculpting's such a fine art I've always given leeway to Hasbro on that, especially on anything mass produced.  Human likenesses especially.  I'm impressed that it seems some figures are going a step further though, in terms of detailing. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2010, 03:42 PM »
These both look great. The At-At commander is really growing on me. I'll pick up a few for sure, but I'd pick up more if the belt was removable.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2010, 01:15 AM »
Yeah the belt bugs me.  I figure this is what officers would wear in a typical combat situation though (and "Army Regulars" would sport the helmet/armor as well), so from that perspective they're pretty cool.  A great army builder outside the AT-AT I figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Great pics... Dack reuses the Evolutions Snowspeeder Pilot body it looks like. AT-AT Commander came out much better than I thought it would. I might get a few of them, and one to perform a headswap with the Veers from a few years back.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Yup, which I'm glad they went with the Evo sculpt since it's a normal height and Luke is not...  Dak, I've always assumed, was just the average joe rebel pilot, so I like that he got an average joe height figure as his base.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2010, 05:17 AM »
I have to admit, based on what we saw at Toy Fair, I wasn't planning on picking up the AT-AT Commander, but the change in legs has made a big difference to the figure. I'm going to have to get one.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #157 on: May 1, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Stuff went up for preorder last night at midnight...got a case on Preorder at BBTS but there are a few singles that are already sold out.  Not sure if production is going to be limited or the e-tailers are being cautious with these...same goes for all of the new Clone Wars figs (Pre, Mando etc)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #158 on: May 1, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Curiously, Dak doesn't seem to be in the cases listed at EE or BBTS.  I assume he's coming in a later revision.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 1, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I preorder a case with Dak in it, he just not pictured. it is the one with just 1x Boba Fett

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 1, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Curiously, Dak doesn't seem to be in the cases listed at EE or BBTS.  I assume he's coming in a later revision.

yeah what Matt above me said - BBTS says that Dak is not shown in a picture - but he is in the case.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 1, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I think that ordering cases online with the TVC would be much simpler than it was when ordering LC cases - people can now order the figures they want without having to get a particular case with 3+ figures they already have just to complete a droid figure. It makes things easier, and saves lots of money.

And I didn't know where to put this... so I'll put it here. What is this doing at Toys R Us?
« Last Edit: May 1, 2010, 01:15 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #162 on: May 5, 2010, 07:41 PM »
New pics of 4-LOM and Dengar on the front page...

Clicky!

I don't know if 4-LOM looks THAT different to me than the 30AC figure, but Dengar's a great improvement over the previous figure.  Loads of articulation, equal or better in detail to the previous figure (including Dengar's sidearm holster).  The MG he sports looks improved/detailed as well.

Can't wait to pick him up, and if 4-LOM's paintjob is significantly better, I'll nab him as well, otherwise I'll easily pass.

The other thing that could get me to nab 4-LOM is most of my 30AC ones I got have lopsided legs.  One shorter than the other, so if this fixes that, I would gladly re-buy it.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #163 on: May 5, 2010, 08:46 PM »
Dengar looks sweet. I didn't ever realize the he was equipped with a holster in ESB so that is another cool detail to have. 4-LOM does look to be a straight TAC repack - I'm far more interested in the exclusive version.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2010, 11:06 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: May 5, 2010, 10:44 PM »
Yeah I'm not even 100% sure he has it in ESB, but his right hip's hard to see.  I think I've noticed it more in his ROTJ stills though, and actually his old miniature from West End Games picked up on it even, so that tiny and pretty vintage figure at this point actually had that little detail.  Really those minis caught some of the finest details on costumes and things, that really a lot of people never seemed to notice.  No clue why that is though.

WEG seemed to really have all-access to any/all imagery in the LFL vaults though.  It's still home to some obscure stuff.