Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106918 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB
« Reply #360 on: August 4, 2010, 09:47 PM »
Nabbed another Dak tonight...

I passed on 3PO.   :-\

I don't think it looks bad, but it's way diminutive compared to others, and that bugs me, plus I don't like the coloring...  It's almost another droid to me, if it weren't for the silver shin.  Not a fig I care for.  Plus 3PO is electro-plated...  I really think the Endor C-3PO is the pinnacle of C-3PO.  I know the BAD figure's a nice sculpt, and I'd take it painted up like 3PO at some point too, but Endor throne 3PO will always have a place on my shelf as the tops.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 4, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Yeah, I am not buying that hunk of crap 3PO either.  I was at Target today and saw the Legends/Endor 3 PO right next to the Vintage one and the Endor one blows it away.  I can appreciate that they tried something different, but it is ugly.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 5, 2010, 12:10 AM »
I really think the Endor C-3PO is the pinnacle of C-3PO. 

Endor Throne 3PO is the definite 3PO of my collection. Let's face it, a vac-metalized 3PO stands out way more than a hunk of gold plastic. And I really don't care much for articulated arms on him, his arms are always at an angle in the films.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #363 on: August 5, 2010, 12:13 AM »
I opened C-3PO tonight and I like him a lot more than I thought I would.

Ditto.  He's really grown on me now that I have him open and have had a chance to mess with him a bit...

I passed on 3PO.   :-\

I don't think it looks bad, but it's way diminutive compared to others, and that bugs me, plus I don't like the coloring... 

I decided the best place for the new 3PO is in my Medcal Frigate display.  Paired up with Medical Luke and Leia, his smaller stature isn't quite as noticable with them.  I think I'll stick the "smaller" R2 that's coming in that scene too...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #364 on: August 5, 2010, 12:42 AM »
Whoever did the Han Echo Base head must be the same person who was doing Luke for the last 5 years up until the Resurgance BP...it is a terrible likeness of Ford and a total regression of where they had the face sculpt.  The sucky thing is with the non standardization on the neck post, swapping for one of the VOTC figures is impossible ::)  The Carbonite Saga2 head looks OK on there and might be where I go with it...not with what they went with

And it again begs my question.  If tooling dollars are that tight...why the hell are you recreating the wheel over and over and over again on head sculpts?    eg Resurgance Luke should be your ANH head for every Luke figure until the end of time...it is maddening

Outside of the Likeness, it is a great figure

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 5, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Finally popped all these guys opened, great bunch of figures. The feature that I like about the 3PO, that no one seems to be mentioning, is the fact his right leg comes out to mimic his final scene on the Falcon just before jumping to hyperspace.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 5, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Although Threepio is a bit too short and the finish is off, it''s kind of interesting to me. I like the removable panels, particularly the one on his back that Chewie works on in the cell.

I like the ewok throne version, but the lack of detail on the hands has always bugged me.

I guess the bottom line is I still don't have my ultimate version of this character.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 6, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Whoever did the Han Echo Base head must be the same person who was doing Luke for the last 5 years up until the Resurgance BP...it is a terrible likeness of Ford and a total regression of where they had the face sculpt.  The sucky thing is with the non standardization on the neck post, swapping for one of the VOTC figures is impossible ::)  The Carbonite Saga2 head looks OK on there and might be where I go with it...not with what they went with

And it again begs my question.  If tooling dollars are that tight...why the hell are you recreating the wheel over and over and over again on head sculpts?    eg Resurgance Luke should be your ANH head for every Luke figure until the end of time...it is maddening

Outside of the Likeness, it is a great figure

I got a chance to open these up last night, and I'd have to agree.  I think I like the POTJ "Bespin Capture" Han Solo head better than the new one they tried here.  Otherwise, it is a nice effort on a "different" take for a main character like Han - and although I'd have preferred a new Bespin one - I like it for what it is.  I really hope they don't re-use this head on that figure though now.  I agree with Scott about the tooling dollars issue.  There are a lot of nice head sculpts (or for that matter other parts of the figure) that are already perfect as is, and don't need to be redone.  The Resurgence Luke figure is an excellent example of that.

Back to this wave, really nice figures overall I think.  I know many aren't too happy with the lack of "all new" figures, but I think the resculpts (and even repacks) are really nice figures.  I especially like the improvement on Bespin Luke.  I wasn't overly unhappy with the last version (aside from the head), but I think this one blows it away.  Leia and Dengar are very well done as well, and I'm happy to have both of them.  Really, I can't say there is a figure in the wave that I am disappointed in, and I'm really digging the cardbacks.  I think I'm going to try to avoid picking up a carded set of prequel figures, but I might go ahead and try to continue with the OT ones to go along with the previous VOTC/VTSC offerings.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 6, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Scored Luke, Dengar and Fett earlier. I should be done buying Bounty Hunters for a long, long time. Luke is a great figure too. LOVE the blaster and improved holster. I'll pick up the rest at some point in the future, I'm trying to spread out my purchases.

I decided I'm passing on both Han and Threepio. I think enough has been said about them but I'm honestly sick of the Han figures with beefed up torsos/arms and the skinny legs. Those legs work with the VOTC Han but I'm not a fan of them showing up anywhere else. I figure by me boycotting that fig, we're that much closer to getting a brand new Han, with an updated holster too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 6, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Found this entire wave of figures minus Boba, Vader, and Luke at a Just For Fun store for $15 each. Uhm, so how much were they again back in the ORIGINAL Vintage days? $1.99? Yeah, $15 doesn't make much sense to me.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 6, 2010, 09:07 PM »
The reason the new 3PO is kind of appealing to me is because I don't really care much for the vac metal look. I find a lot of the little details get lost in the shiny.

As for Han, still haven't picked him up, but I'm thinking when I do I'm gonna display him with the welding mask on and just look at him as a Hoth technician or something generic like that. I was ho-hum on this figure before I realized he came with the mask, but I love that they included it. Makes him much more unique than, Hoth Han with open coat.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 6, 2010, 10:07 PM »
I think that for the most part that new Threepio is great... but I do think he's too small.  Which is a shame. 

Offline dta151

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 7, 2010, 02:38 AM »
I think the Pre-Trilogy figures will be mostly what I get,just because they have never been in this packaging before,just wish they would have done more characters for ROTS and hopefully a Darth Maul for TPM.The ROTJ wave looks the best so far from the lineup to me though

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 8, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Took my son to target to use his gift cards from his Bday and he ended up getting IG-88; yeah we had the pervious one but he is in various stages of 'battle damage' LOL.
This one looks pretty much the same except a slightly diff paint wash, compared to the other one, this has a more brown-ish color. The only other diff I noticed is his right leg, the cable running down it on the original went across his leg to the connecter on the outside, this one (or at least mine) the cable and connector are on the inside. May try and turn the lower leg around so the connector is on the outside. The figure stand is nice, has two pegs on it and the game card slides into it on the back. It doesn't stand up but lays flat. THe die is kinda cool but we're calling it a bounty hunter holocron since I doubt we'll play the game as it is. His bag of secret weapons has a battledroid blaster, clone blaster and rifle, small pistol and a concussion launcher and I'm guessing a rebel rifle with a strap.
So one new figure down and a limited list to go. We both agree the 3P0 is just not hitting it, But he def wants Bespin Luke and would have gotten him if he was there. Possibly the at-at driver, dak for our snow speeder. We're waiting for the RotS vintage figs to hit as we both want the Anakin Vader figure, he looks really good and possible the Grevious with cloth cape and lightsaber hilts to go in the pouches.
Oh well, long live Star Wars toys and collecting!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #374 on: August 9, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Saw this on RS - a neat little easter egg.  :)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird