Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106883 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Isn't the one on display and on the card just a repack of TLC Vader (BD08) with 2 piece helmet

Nope.  The loose was wrong (just like Fett and the CC Pilot).  He will be the 3-piece helmet one they intended last time (2008).

Last time, the manufacturer "helped" Hasbro save money by incorrectly molding 2 of the 3 pieces together.  They wanted a running change, but it never happened. 

This time, they said they were VERY specific during the manufacturing run, so they should definitely (barring another complete manufactuing CF) be the 3-piece helmet.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16 PM »
On Han's coat, it seemed longer, to me anyway, when it was open.  I'm not so sure on the headsculpt either, but I liked the sort of tussled hair from the welding stuff and his hood I'm assuming.

I totally forgot on the Officer's goggles too.  He gets cooler and cooler.  I really hope that helmet/goggle set makes its way to a future AT-ST driver as well.  That'll be quite sweet.  A nice generic Imperial "Army Trooper". 

The LUke really grew on me...  Ankles were a nice surprise, and the ball-jointed hips are going to do well on that figure. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25 AM »

The LUke really grew on me...  Ankles were a nice surprise, and the ball-jointed hips are going to do well on that figure. 

awesome!  I didn't even realize until I read this post that he does indeed have ankles now - I went back and looked.  Aesome - he went from a "probably not" to a "definitely" right there!

On a different note - I have read both here and on other sites that people are interested in army building Dacks, I think I am missing the intent here.  is he that generic looking that he passes as  a non-specific pilot?  I guess it is just hard for me to take a figure with a somewhat significant name and roll and turn him into an army builder (plus I don't really army build).

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39 AM »
On a different note - I have read both here and on other sites that people are interested in army building Dacks, I think I am missing the intent here.  is he that generic looking that he passes as  a non-specific pilot?  I guess it is just hard for me to take a figure with a somewhat significant name and roll and turn him into an army builder (plus I don't really army build).

I think its because the figure has what looks to be a non-customized paint job on his helmet.  IIRC isn't that same white paint job with blue rebel symbols seen on a number of unnamed rebel pilots?  Basically with his helmet on he looks generic enough to be an army builder, even if we all know better. ;)
I am not the Stig

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2010, 02:23 PM »

I think its because the figure has what looks to be a non-customized paint job on his helmet.  IIRC isn't that same white paint job with blue rebel symbols seen on a number of unnamed rebel pilots?  Basically with his helmet on he looks generic enough to be an army builder, even if we all know better. ;)

Exactly. In all the shots of generic pilots in ANH (the prep and taking off sequence,) Dak's helmet was used.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:28 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2010, 02:53 PM »
There's also a large number of pilots on Hoth with the blue-emblem "clean" helmet as well.  Dak is, essentially, the generic Rebel  Pilot for Hoth...  Now we just need the ANH versions without the bulkier flight suit and I'm down for 20 or so of those.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I'll just do one extra for one x-wing version. I've already got a nice number of unique pilots.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I'll be in on parts of this wave...Dack for sure, my Hoth Rogue Squadron is getting nice and dense with a couple different sculpts which all ought to compliment each other very well.

Hoth Leia is very likely. Bespin Luke I will have to see in person to decide.

ATAT Commander will help me solve the dilemma of where to display Veers...he's on Hoth now but buying this new one would free him up for the Star Destroyer Bridge.

Cloud Car Pilot I am leaving entirely to fate. He is one of my absolute favorite Vintage figures, such an oddball, but I have a handful of the OTC version. Still, this is a different guy with a very 80s 'stache, so maybe...

Dengar, 4-LOM, Han, Vader, Boba, and (especially) 3P0 are all definite passes though. Nice to see a new ESB Han, though.

So a possible 5 figures out of 11...not bad. Looking forward to it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50 PM »
I love Dengar and I'm surprised so many don't...  He's super articulated, has a nice crisp sculpt...  Bounty Hunters you'd think everyone would want the "perfect" version of them.  They're not Senators afterall, but I guess if the last one's satisfactory more power to them then.  I'm happy I'll have one that doesn't have a tendancy to lean forward though, or at least I can pose him so it fixes the problem anyway.

I thought Hasbro's answer about Bespin Luke to us in our Q&A was interesting...  It makes me wonder how many more figures they have (besides the obvious) that they've done fairly recently but weren't quite pleased with.

THey don't often open up about "This could be better..." in their discussions.  Usually it's either bluffed that it's good already, or that they're content or whatnot.  I thought that Bespin Luke, aside from the likeness, was outstanding.  I was shocked we got another so soon...  It's great, and it's a major update with the hips and better likeness, but at the same time that last one really wasn't that bad.  I do tend to be a little forgiving on likenesses though too.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2010, 10:23 PM »
I loved their QA answer - I always felt the same way about that Luke.  It was a miss.  I think it's great for them to take another crack at a figure that doesn't completely work - Luke - but then I also think they need to leave well enough alone in some cases (CC Pilot, Dengar).  Both are good figures as they are now, and didn't need upgrades.  The upgrades are fantastic, but unnecessary.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56 PM »
Really?

Luke was a miss but Dengar and the CC Pilots are hits?

The CC Pilot lacks pretty much any arm articulation but the shoulder, Dengar lacked any leg articulation but the hips (and I know my Dengar is a little unsteady and wants to fall forward).  

Luke was off on the headsculpt, but the rest of the figure was a "miss" too, requiring a resculpt?

I like the updated Luke, don't get me wrong.  I'm really excited for the updated likeness but also the ball-jointed hips.  I just don't put him above Dengar or the CC Pilot either.  I can't say any of the 3 were high on my resculpt list either except maybe Dengar...  Again, a "bounty hunter", sort of action-oriented (though not on-screen obviously, but still it's a toy so the articulation is a help I think)...  

I kind of rate all 3 figures the same, and for Luke I'd have been totally happy had they just updated the headsculpt...  I'm ecstatic that they're going an extra step with the hips though.  It's definitely more about the odd character choices to me though, than anything.  Hasbro's going to these because they feel they're the most eye-catching way to give a wide/interesting collection of stuff for the core collector (myself included) I guess.

I love all 3 then ultimately, but I can't see how one can say, "That was good enough" on a figure that lacked much of any useful articulation for posing or simply standing properly (Dengar) when at the same time saying it's a great update to Bespin Luke who was super articulated already, and really just needed a likeness tweak and maybe a deco change to go up in just about everyone's books. :)  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  But don't get me wrong, I'm right with you on Luke too, I just guess I like Dengar and Cloud Car Pilot just as much even though they're secondary characters.

I'm more curious now to see if the resculpting trend stays true for a lot of the vintage line...  I'm betting it will a bit.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:56 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13 AM »
I am one of those that likes as much articulation as possible.  Especially nowadays where we have to pay $8 a figure.  The Clone Wars figs were bugging me because they had limited articulation.  They are finally redoing some of those now.  Anyway, I am all for Dengar getting a redo.  I will admit that I was not clamoring for a new Luke Bespin or Cloud Car Pilot or even Dengar.  I was not surprised that Dengar was coming since they updated all the bounty hunters recently.  I think it was a good move.  Most people seem to collect the same 6 bounty hunters over and over again.  I thought maybe they would just release each one again this year.  I mean they already have Fett, Zuckuss, Dengar and 4LOM coming this year.  They might as well add Bossk and IG-88.  Well I guess Bossk is coming as a Legends figure?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2010, 09:32 AM »
To me, the CC Pilot or Dengar didn't need to do anything but stand there; the sculpts were good enough for me (take the POTJ Tessek for example - they don't need to do another one as far as I'm concerned).  But Luke, while all around miles better than the previous versions, had a terrible likeness - which really was my main issue.  Bespin Luke isn't going to just stand there, so I love the added articulation and of course, the much improved head sculpt.  That's my funky point of view on it.   :)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11 AM »
meh - I can't compare Tessek, a character that was serving as the Hutt's accountant, to a Bounty Hunter or any generic trooper/army builder type figure.  What more could anyone want of a figure like Tessek?  To sit down at a desk so he could get some work done for the big slug all the while plotting his demise?

I realize that he was just an example but to me any bounty hunter type figure should have the same articulation of Fett/Clone Troopers - it is just natural to bring Dengar up to par with the rest of his BH buddies.

like Jesse said though, to each his own.  The one thing I will say about the Dengar figure that I am not liking so much from what I have seen so far is the head sculpt.  I like the scowl/facial scar/sorisis look n the Saga figure.  I don't hate it - I just kinda like the other better.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I'm fine with upgrading Dengar, but perfection is not something I look for in my action figures (he says as he complains about Luke's headsculpt).  One thing I've been thinking about lately, with all the discussion of nostalgia recently, is that I'm just that.  Nostalgic.  I love the art Hasbro makes of these things, but I think at some point they stop being toys.  An abundunce of articulation even starts to affect the aesthetic in some cases (the ridiculous torso joint on the Endor Han body for example) and I think I prefer appearance over ability.  I'm not posing the hell out of these things, so Dengar as he is today works for me, even if he can be so much better.  Oh, well.  Definitely to each his own.  I could care less if the AT AT is to scale - it's a toy.  I loved my toys as a kid.  I'm a man now, and they have to do even less for me.

That said, I would never give up my VOTC Chewbacca.   :)