Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106884 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2010, 11:00 AM »
With a better Bespin Luke coming up, when will we see a better version of Bespin Duel Luke? That will be on its way some day.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2010, 12:03 PM »
I'm with Jesse in that I'm pretty excited that we're getting a new Dengar as well.  The last one was pretty well done sculpt-wise, but I'm happy to get the articulation upgrade to go with the rest of the fantastic bounty hunters we've gotten so far.  I'm also pretty happy we're getting a new Bespin Luke.  I never would have thought that would happen, since we recently got that VTSC version, but I wasn't ever really happy with the headsculpt on that one either.  The rest of the figure was pretty great though, overall.

Jesse brings up an interesting point about "upgrades".  I think we obviously expected to see a number of POTF2 (or even POTJ) figures get that treatment over the next few years, but now it seems that more recent (and thought to be closer to perfect) offerings are up for grabs as well.  I'm wondering who else we might see get new figures, where the previous ones just had a quirk or two wrong with them.  I seem to remember Hasbro specifically mentioning the Evolutions ROTS Anakin needing an "upgrade" (primarily ball elbows), so part of me expects that sooner than later.  I for one enjoy the resculpts for the most part (a lot of my most wanted are POTF2 redos), and don't mind ones like Bespin Luke until they really get into re-doing things that are pretty much perfect already (the aforementioned VOTC Chewie being a good example of that).  Those types of figures could just be repacked to finish out cases (or in Saga Legends), while leaving other slots for new figures or more needed upgrades.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2010, 02:40 PM »
I love the art Hasbro makes of these things, but I think at some point they stop being toys.  An abundunce of articulation even starts to affect the aesthetic in some cases (the ridiculous torso joint on the Endor Han body for example) and I think I prefer appearance over ability.

So you prefer "art" over "toys" then?  Or am I reading that wrong?

Articulation is part of what makes an action figure an action figure...  and a toy.  Articulation helps figures fit in vehicles with tighter compartments, it helps posing from action scenes to just standing on a shelf.  So wihle I don't feel every figure needs SUPER articulation, I do think a good example of the "minimums" from my point of view is the Death Star Trooper.

-shoulder joints (regular or ball-jointed)
-angle-cut (at least) elbows
-cut wrists
-regular hips
-ball-jointed knees
-a waist joint (And I agree, I think ball-jointed torsoes generally work on armored figures better than a torso with a shirt, though I think Jedi pull it off due to the layered look of their robes)
-a neck joint (the new ball-jointed necks are actually less money than the old style neck joints, go figure)

I don't always need ankles so long as the figure's ankles aren't sculpted in a "walking" pose like the Training Fatigues Clone.

However I do think the more rooted in action the figure is, the more likely articulation should be, and of course characters like gowned Padme's and Senators in big-assed robes aren't really subject to that minimum...  But Dengar does need the articulation since it's about the only thing able to make that character, who should be "action-oriented" since he's a bounty hunter, interesting.  Did Zuckuss need SA?  No, but it makes him more interesting as a bounty hunter I figure.  Same with 4-LOM, etc.

The CC Pilot I do view as an army builder...  I was ok with the OTC one too for the most part but I appreciate the upgrade for what he is, and he's gone from ok to great, plus we get the mini-stached version which is nice since the main prop had both head variants riding around in it.

Dengar though, he was really quite unposeable and both mine fall forward because they're sculpted in a sort of front-heavy fashion, and without any articulation he's difficult to correct that.  So I appreciate him as much as Luke...  He's bulky, ready for action (if you want him to hunt someone down, he can now! :) ), and so I'm pretty excited to actually buy him for once.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2010, 03:13 PM »
It's funny, but even the young kids (5-7 years) prefer the articulated figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2010, 08:13 PM »
I know that was the case with mine till they moved into the realm of electronics over toys...  ROTS Obi's first figure got chucked aside and destroyed through melting/sawing him apart in favor of Pilot Obi-Wan.  And Anakin never won a battle after that either.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I actually prefer the toy over the art aspect (what I meant some of these things are works of art).

I'm glad people are getting their Dengar!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Ah ok, I wasn't sure what you meant there.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2010, 02:23 AM »
Jedi Insider has some nifty pics of the 3-piece helmet Vader... 

I think it looks pretty good - kind of neat to finally get that 3-piece helmet. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2010, 02:34 AM »
That is indeed quite cool.  I don't mind having the 2-piece helmet, I think I may display it without the helmet on in an extra Luke's arms or something, but I like this for an "ultimate" Vader.

And boy am I glad I never bought a 2nd of the 2-piece Vader when that was out.  I almost did, for customizing, but that's gladly been avoided.  :-X

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2010, 05:25 PM »
When he has his helmet on, it looks a little strange.  Either his head is too small or his hands are too big?  I dunno.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2010, 02:08 AM »
I would have liked to see a battle damaged look. A similar hand like the TAC tatto Anakin and some burn marks from Palps would have been cool. While a three piece helmet is interesting this Vader looks too much like Uncle Fester.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:46 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2010, 05:17 AM »
Although it was all very fine and dandy for Hasbro to go outta their way to make the 3-piece helmet, it's indeed very strange looking. The 2-piece helmet was already nice enough.
First, we've NEVER seen Vader's entire uncovered face. So it's strange.
Second, although somewhat funny, can you imagine all those five-six year old kids who pop off the helmet pieces and say, "Golly Dad, is this Darth Vader?!"
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2010, 03:06 AM »
A couple figures from Wave 1 have already surfaced...

Check out Da(c)k Ralter and AT-AT Commander!

Clicky to check it out!

Something interesting...  The AT-AT Commander appers to have webbing inside his brain bucket there.  That's kind of neat. :)  I really like that figure a lot and hope to army build him a bit once he's out.  Same with Dack, who makes a great generic Snowspeeder pilot I'm hoping to stock up on.

And I reiterate that I really REALLY like that Dak sports the Rebel rifle as a pack-in.  Since I hope to nab a number of him, it'll be nice having extras of that weapon since I really dont' have many.  I just hope it's sturdy, as that one was hit and miss whether it was made with quality plastic or not.  Ironically the Saga Hoth Rebel's rifle is usually the only one that's made of stiffer plastic.  Who wants to buy that thing for just the weapon though, ya know?

It's neat seeing both without their helmets on too, I dig that.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2010, 11:51 AM »
They both look very good! I'll definitely be picking up a few of the AT-AT Commanders.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Yeah I liked the AT-AT Commander's use of parts a lot.  Very good looking with what I assume are the Sunber legs there.  I wish he had a more generic belt and a hat, because that would be one great generic Imp Officer at that point.