Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106970 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Quite a few of the sites got pics of cardbacks during Toy Fair - they are a lot like the vOTC/vTSC cards...

Did any of you guys ask why they didn't want to go down the vinty route for the cardbacks?  They did it for GI Joe did it and they looked fantabulous!   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2010, 01:39 PM »
So Vader and Hoth Leia have 'promo' bursts on their cards?

No, those are the original vintage cards.  The new Vintage Collection versions do not have those vintage Kenner starburst promos...  but they will have a removable starburst promo sticker for the mail-away Fett.

Did any of you guys ask why they didn't want to go down the vinty route for the cardbacks?

Basically, they couldn't decide the best way to do it.

Do they use the 12-back card to start and expand as they release more?  Or do they jump to right to ESB's cardback style since these are ESB cards?  If so, what do you use to represent ones they haven't done yet?  And what do you do with the RotS/AotC cardbacks since they don't have a vintage template.  And what happens when they start releasing stuff in mixed waves, would each figure have a differnt cardback in each wave... etc.

In the end, they decided to just avoid the headache and be consistent with the vOTC/vTSC stuff.  That way, everything can do the same style and the old vOTC/vTSC stuff mixes in nicely.  The new stuff is an homage and not a total re-do and maintains it's own ID.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:41 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Banthaskull.com has a really nice gallery of all of the Wave 1 figures. While I was initially planning to pick and choose figures from this series, I might have to buy the entire first wave. Dengar, Dak, and the AT-AT commander look like stellar figures, and I cannot wait to round out my ESB bounty hunters with the new Dengar. Even though I'm saving some money, I am really kicking myself for not ordering these figures from TRU.com over the weekend.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Experiences may vary:
Got what I wanted from this wave at TRU today, called them up with the item number and they said they had em. Drove down there and had them search the stock room for me only to come back 20 min. later empty handed. I told them about the packaging switch over and that there was a release date and one of them remembered seeing that and went back in and found them along with a Saga Legends case and CW reversion case. Got Dengar, AT-AT Commander, C-3PO, & Cloud Car Pilot. But heres the twist, they are priced at $9.99 but they Buy one Get one Half off sale took it back down to normal retail price for the four.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:47 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 30, 2010, 12:22 AM »
There's a report by Adam over at Galactichunter.com that they were found at Toys R Us for sale - looks like it depends on how lucky you are.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2010, 12:55 AM »
I just got shipment 1 from TRU.com shipped to my door super fast (and super free) today! WOW!!! If this is the level of the line they definitely raised the bar!

- Luke Bespin is really awesome! (Head fits perfectly on the Snowspeeder body! They even retooled his saber and hilt!)
- Leia is awesome!
- C-3PO is really awesome! (I liked him much more than I thought I would!)
- Dengar is awesome!
- Dak is awesome! He comes with two newly tooled weapons!
- AT-AT commander is great! (he loses points because his outfit s a light gray & does not match Needa)
- CC Pilot is great! (He has a Mustache.)
- Han is nice! (Hair is off but looks like Ford. His Coat is a really dark brown & does not match the previous Hoth versions. Still decent.)
Darth Vader is atrocious! He is a step down from the Legacy 2 part Helmet version. The only worthwhile upgrade is more paint detail on the face mask. Less gloss on him and slapped together. Both ones I received were manufactured poorly.

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2010, 01:39 AM »
@JACKOFTRADEZ: Do u think u can post pictures of Vader's head/helmet area, by any chance? I'm trying to get a good look at his Sebastian Shaw face. I personally don't think the pictures at Banthaskull.com do a very good job at showing it up-close.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Ugh...my TRU.com order should arrive today, but there was still some stuff I couldn't get that I will need to start hunting for. I guess I should have figured that enforcement of the street date would vary from store to store.

Could be a road trip weekend for me :)

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2010, 09:11 AM »
@JACKOFTRADEZ: Do u think u can post pictures of Vader's head/helmet area, by any chance? I'm trying to get a good look at his Sebastian Shaw face. I personally don't think the pictures at Banthaskull.com do a very good job at showing it up-close.

JACKOFTRADZE ;)
No problem. I will tak a shot when I get home tonight. I kept the more detailed helmet and swapped it with my Legacy Vader. The Vintage Vader head is way too gray with a double chin. He is really bad.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2010, 03:57 PM »

JACKOFTRADZE ;)
No problem. I will tak a shot when I get home tonight. I kept the more detailed helmet and swapped it with my Legacy Vader. The Vintage Vader head is way too gray with a double chin. He is really bad.

Oops!.... and thanks! I've been hearing some pretty mixed reviews on this figure.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I too have seen some horse**** paint apps on that Vader skin head. It looks like he's wearing a chinstrap.

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 30, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I too have seen some horse**** paint apps on that Vader skin head. It looks like he's wearing a chinstrap.

Dang... that is an ugly paint job! I *do* like, though, that his helmet is pretty glossy. I didn't think the TLC 2008 figure had a very shiny helmet. And what's the point of having this type of Vader figure in a TESB wave?! I would have prefered a Vader with a damaged shoulder plate from when Luke show's him who's boss... until Vader gets pissy and cuts off his hand. :( 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #252 on: June 30, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I think it's about the scene where he's in his meditation chamber...  Plus I guess the BAD figure was supposed to have a 3-piece-helmet, but that fell through.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 1, 2010, 04:30 AM »
I like the way the hands are sculpted on the Dengar figure, they make for really good poses holding the rifle. I'd be really pleased to see this feature on some rebel soldiers at some point.

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 1, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Picked up four of this wave -Luke, Dengar,Boba and Hoth Leia. They are all sublime-standouts are Dengar and Luke. Paint apps have had more cash than usual chucked at them, more of this please.

The cards are great and seeing them all stacked there was thrillingly sureal.

Big thumbs up.