Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS  (Read 76335 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS
« Reply #225 on: September 6, 2010, 12:29 AM »
I was watching ROTS on Spike last night, and it got me thinking that the head sculpt on Palpy is pretty necessary/accurate. I don't think there's a moment in the entire duel when Palps doesn't have that ridiculous grin on his face.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #226 on: September 6, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I found myself thinking the same thing.  The head sculpt has grown on me, as the figure has.  The soft goods aren't as bad as I thought, but I swapped out the hood with the one from the bust up, and I recommend everyone to do this if they have one around.  It makes a huge difference.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 6, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Saw this wave at Wal*Mart yesterday...and I have to admit, seeing the Sandtrooper on a Vintage Star Wars cardback was almost enough to make me buy it, just because that's something I dreamed about as a kid. Didn't get it, and now it occurs to me the picture on the card is actually a '97 special edition addition, so that wouldn't have been it back in the day, anyway.

But, man, that Vintage card stuff is really working for me, especially the straight up "Star Wars" look...can't wait to see more of those.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 7, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Saw this wave at Wal*Mart yesterday...and I have to admit, seeing the Sandtrooper on a Vintage Star Wars cardback was almost enough to make me buy it, just because that's something I dreamed about as a kid. Didn't get it, and now it occurs to me the picture on the card is actually a '97 special edition addition, so that wouldn't have been it back in the day, anyway.

But, man, that Vintage card stuff is really working for me, especially the straight up "Star Wars" look...can't wait to see more of those.

That's something I really like about this Vintage Collection line as well, seeing some of those OT characters on the vinty cardbacks - particularly ones we could have/should have seen back in the original line.  I actually sort of hope that at some point we see repacks like Stormtrooper Han, Slave Leia, etc. on the new cards as well.  That would be kind of nifty if we have to see repacks anyways.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #229 on: September 8, 2010, 12:40 AM »
Saw most of this wave today.  I picked up the Vader (along witha Saga Legends Bossk).  Cool looking figure....I think the sculpted hair makes it stand out.  Too bad the Evolutions ROTS Anakin didn't have ball and socket elbows as well.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #230 on: September 8, 2010, 02:17 AM »
Does the Evo figure's head fit the new figure's body, or was this answered already and I'm not seeing it?  I'd like to headswap I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #231 on: September 8, 2010, 08:36 PM »
The Evolution ROTS Anakin Head is a little too small.  Shame.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #232 on: September 8, 2010, 10:27 PM »
The socket on it's a little small?  That's ok then.  It can be hollowed out a little.  I'd like to transfer one head to the new better articulated body and have a nice plain Ani.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 9, 2010, 09:16 AM »
It's funny to read so many people finding so much of this wave, yet here in LA, I found exactly one case so far.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 9, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Zilch here in NW Indiana.  But I am not too worried, I am thinking I am only going to get Sidious and a Magna Guard or two.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 10, 2010, 06:50 AM »
Saw the wave at Wally last night.
Got the Sandtrooper and Clone on non foil cards.
Wanted Anakin and Ben , but had to pass for now.
There were foils of Magna guard and Cody.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Of course as soon as I open my mouth they turn up.  Last night at WM I grabbed Sidious, Magna x2, Grievous, and Anakin.

I was on the fence about the last two but I ended up getting them anyway.  Grevious is pretty flimsy but I like what they did with the lightsabers/hilts - they seem a bit thicker to me.  I also like his cape.

My main gripe about Anakin was that his arms looked really long in the photos I saw online - while that still may be true he looked good swinging on the peg and the arm issue doesn't looks so bad with the robes on, plus I think the head sculpt turned out alright - so I grabbed him too.

Now, where are my wave 3 case assortment breakdowns???

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2010, 02:16 AM »
I picked up most of Wave 2 tonight that I hadn't gotten yet, which was most of the wave...  I'm still missing the Magna Guard however, which sucks since he's who I wanted the most, but such is life.

Anyway, some thoughts overall on this wave...

-Palpatine...  An outstanding figure all around.  It's some of the cooler softgoods Hasbro's ever done because they make the complexity of the outfit, while still giving the figure a wide range of articulation without much of a compromise at all.  The outfit though, I really thought was going to impede this figure's potential coolness.  I thought for certain Hasbro would cut something down because I just couldn't see them going softgoods and pulling it off.  They did though.

I really would've liked a non-cackling headsculpt though.  It's really about the only gripe I could find besides him having a saber hilt as an extra accessory.  He's going to look great next to Mas Ameda though, and a couple Royal Guards (which I just happened to pick 2 up cheap at the Toy Show last month, so cool beans there).

This was my favorite figure of this wave, thus far.

-Clone Trooper...  Surprisingly a delight.  It's a nice, generic, uber articulated Clone...  I'm a bit of a sucker for the improved articulation I guess, and I'd probably re-buy some army builders of different colors with this sculpt.  At least the movie Clones anyway, like 212th, and 501st Troopers.

The only disappointments to me were that his eyes are again staring upward...  Will Hasbro ever fix Clone eyes?  And the helmet lacks a LOT of paint details, as do the treads of his shoes.  It's actually noticeable, and kinda lame that they're omitting details like that IMO.

-Sandtrooper...  A great army builder Stormtrooper, and I love getting more of the rifle he comes with.  I'd love to pick this figure up with a worn deco and maybe a unique pauldron. 

-Anakin "Darth Vader" Skywalker...  Badassery.  The articulation is fantastic and a HUGE improvement (I'm even suprirsed how much it helps him), and the likeness is spot-on.  I love the change in the hair sculpt.  I'm going to still get a 2nd of this figure to put a non-Sithy headsculpt onto though.  A very good figure, and a Jedi with a hilt for his belt?  I love it, and I wish ALL Jedi had the hilt accessory to clip to their belts. 

-Cmdr. Cody...  Mine has fairly loose hip joints, which is a bit disappointing, as I really was on the fence on buying Cody again anyway since I don't feel the fixed belt is a huge deal.  The paint details seemed slightly better though, and the antenna was silver, so I caved.  I sorta regret the purchase now though because the hips are quite loose on mine.

-General Grievous...  An insanely pleasant surprise.  He isn't super sturdy, but mine stands just fine, and I've had him in some pretty cool positions.  I like putting his hands behind his back like he's pacing the bridge of his ship or something. 

The cape though, takes the cake...  I had gotten Palpatine ahead of the rest of this wave, and then tonight I got Grievous, and his cape is maybe my favorite softgoods accessory of any figure, ever.  The pockets are nicely sewn, and each side holds 4 sabers.  The design is on the back of the cape, which I wasn't sure we'd get, so I was really glad to see it there...  The weight makes the cape hang nicely, and it's of course got the red lining...  It's really one of the finer pieces a figure has ever come with, hands down. 

Grievous only comes with 2 sabers and 2 saber hilts, so I guess we're to fill the other pockets with other sabers.  I'm thinking of adding a Nahdar Vebb hilt or something.  I'd rather they included more sabers rather than his blaster pistol, but that's ok I guess.

His articulation upgrades are nice.  The arms lock better, but still not great, and I think my figure needs his arms run under some hot water so they form to one another better.  The package warped them slightly.  Still though, the wrist articulation is a help, and the pins/holes seem deeper too, so I like that they were really trying to improve the 2008 figure.  Also, his color seems better.  Grievous is easily my 2nd favorite figure of the wave, behind Palpatine right now.  I'd say the Magna Guard will trump them both, but I don't have it yet to be sure.

I got a number of the figures tonight as the Foil Carded versions, as that was all there was.  I was thinking there would be foil and non-foil in the same case, but maybe I'm wrong.  I can't see someone passing on the foil ones, but whatever.  I opened them as the foil stuff doesn't matter.  I'd like to salvage the cards, but I kinda dislike the foil enough that I doubt I try salvaging these.

Anyway, good wave...  Anxious for about 6 or 8 Magna Guards, and hopefully an easy blue repaint of the same figure.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2010, 08:41 AM »
This wave is already falling off the pegs at my Walmart and I've spotted it at both TRU and Target once each.

I think my Walmart must have put out like 12 cases or something this week.  I was equally excited to see the Skrull Soldiers in the Marvel Universe waves on the pegs right next to it though.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2010, 09:26 AM »
I hadn't even heard of this wave hitting Target yet. Seems lke Target is going to be my only hope to get it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."