Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC  (Read 103841 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC
« Reply #60 on: June 1, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I'm wondering how many of that wave will be upgraded and simply repacked... 

At one point in the Q&A, Hasbro said the "greatest hits" repacks for this wave would be -
- EpII Obi-Wan (EpII wave)
- Mace Windu (EpII wave)
- Super Battle Droid (EpII wave)

The rest should have some degree of "newness" about them (though of course, it remains to be seen if they will be "brand new" new or just "improvements" new).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 1, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Sweet wave.  Zam is much needed.  I was hoping for a new pilot Padme, but the peasant one isn't bad, either. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 1, 2010, 11:42 AM »
I would expect that the Jango Fett in this wave is going to be a better painted version of the Evolutions release.  I'm also hoping that this version will also feature the rocket pack that's seen in the Kamino landing platform fight.  The one that was included in the Evolutions release was from the Geonosis Arena battle.

As for new characters in this wave?  I have to admit a bit of disappointment that there aren't any characters that have never been done before.  As for the rest?

The original peasant disguise Anakin was a pretty week figure, even in 2002.  This was definitely in need of an upgrade.  But will he come with Padme's luggage?

Padme is the only really new figure in the wave.  But which variation of this costume will Hasbro make?  Given the name, I'm thinking it will be the version seen on the freighter.

Zam Wessel is another figure that really needed to be upgraded.  She's involved in enough of the action that she should have gotten a pretty good figure.  It's remarkable that it's taken Hasbro 8 years to get around to it though.  And will they address the shapeshifting face?

The Senate Guard is actually something that I think needed to be upgraded.  A kitbash of the POTJ Senate Guard's head with the ROTS Senate Guard's body could work.  But still, the ROTS figure was limited by the angle cuts of the elbows.  And with this version I'm hopeful that they'll make this version with the force pike as seen when Yoda and Mace Windu are observing the Senate vote.

Kit Fisto is a bit of a head scratcher.  But the character's popularity has grown over time, especially with his appearances in the CLONE WARS series.  Still, I would have preferred a never before made Jedi from the arena battle before a new or kitbashed Kit Fisto.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 1, 2010, 12:34 PM »
So far all these Prequel waves are kind of a snooze fest to me. Zam sounds great, but the rest are pretty dull IMO. I dunno, it just sounds like it lacks pizazz, or anything even remotely new I guess. I don't mind resulpts at all, but at least 1 all new character wouldn't be bad I wouldn't think.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 1, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Zam Wessel is another figure that really needed to be upgraded.  She's involved in enough of the action that she should have gotten a pretty good figure.  It's remarkable that it's taken Hasbro 8 years to get around to it though.  And will they address the shapeshifting face?

Kit Fisto is a bit of a head scratcher.  But the character's popularity has grown over time, especially with his appearances in the CLONE WARS series.  Still, I would have preferred a never before made Jedi from the arena battle before a new or kitbashed Kit Fisto.

Hasbro has said that if they were to do another Zam Wesell, which they obviously are, they would give her an alternate shape-shifter head. But I wonder (and hope) if they'll also give her an alternate head with her scarf covering her face? That would be 3 unique head sculpts: human face, Clawdite face, and covered face.

I agree with you on Kit Fisto. The only change that I hope Hasbro does make is giving him a smile.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 1, 2010, 12:54 PM »
However, I will say that the worst acting I've seen in the entire saga is in ROTS, when Anakin plainly tells an unusually calm Windu that he's discovered Palpatine's a Sith Lord. The novelization does a better job of telling this scene, citing that Anakin's having a mental breakdown, plus that Windu begins to get all serious.

I agree that the novelizations go a LONG way at better explaining their emotions, thoughts, reactions etc in the movies vs what we actually 'see' on film.

Just remember, don't blame the actor(s.) That's the way he was directed.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010, 02:37 PM »
Based on the Hasbro panel, sounds like the Yak rumor nailed it -

2010 VCxx Zam Wesell - with TWO heads according to the panel!
  2010 VCxx Anakin Skywalker (Peasant Disguise) - with poncho
  2010 VCxx Padme Amidala (Peasant Disguise) - possible two headresses (1 concept, 1 movie)
  2010 VCxx Jango Fett
  2010 VCxx Kit Fisto
  2010 VCxx Senate Guard
  2010 VCxx Obi-Wan Kenobi
  2010 VCxx Mace Windu
  2010 VCxx Super Battle Droid

No links/pics to share yet, but they were shown in the panel and should be in the booth later today so pics will be plentiful by night I'd think.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:38 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Great figures...

Zam appears like she'll have goggles that can be positioned over her eyes (her attached binoculars), TWO full headsculpts, the veil she wears will be poseable over the face or hanging to the side, and articulation out the ying yang.  Everything a Zam should be.

I'm wondering if Jango's a straight repaint if altered at all? 

Mace appears to be upgraded to possibly more articulation and softgoods as well, from what I was told.

The Senate Guard sounded interesting, as I guess his forearms are sculpted to match The Clone Wars guards?  That's cool of Hasbro IMO.

The Anakin and Padme will both feature softgoods too, which may irk a lot of Padme fans.  I guess since she sits it makes sense, but I wonder how they'll look?  I'm stoked on the Ani, who can even hide a saber on his belt under the poncho.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2010, 04:23 PM »

Good looking wave, with Zam easily being the highlight. Peasant Anakin and Padme look great as well. The new Kit is a nice surprise. Senate Guard is alright. Mace looks like he has a better headsculpt and hopefully articulated legs. I'll be passing on the SBD and Obi-Wan.

EDIT: Just noticed Jango has the spikes from his Kamino fight with Obi-Wan. Way cool, and makes that an instant purchase if the figure is blue and not purple.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:25 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2010, 05:22 PM »
This wave is awesome, it's a shame Hasbro is so friggin behind on this line. February? Are you kidding me?

This new release date sucks Bantha Balls.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2010, 05:26 PM »
Yeah, although that is always "subject to change", I'm a little disappointed in the release dates as well.  I'm guessing we'll see the ROTJ wave before January, likely at the end of the year sometime, but even still....kind of a slow roll if the dates hold up.  Not that there isn't enough exclusive stuff to blow money on, but I was sort of planning/hoping for four waves this year.

That said, I'm pretty psyched for this wave as well.  I've wanted a Zam resculpt ever since the first one was released, and the Anakin/Padme are nice figures as well.  Like it was mentioned, it looks like both Mace and Kit are improved, which is a nice surprise.  You really can't top that Obi-Wan figure, as it was great already, and I can understand why they'd continue to put it out there.  If Jango is the correct colors, the little "spikes" are a nice update on that figure too.  Curious though, unless I'm missing something, but why does Hasbro refer to this as "Wave 5" in their slideshow?  Isn't the line breaking down like this?

Wave 1 - ESB
Wave 2 - ROTS
Wave 3 - ROTJ
Wave 4 - AOTC
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:48 PM by Brian »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Update, according to the cards of the AOTC wave in the display case it now shows this wave as 11/15/10

Geez Hasbro which is it?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:35 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2010, 07:30 PM »
why does Hasbro refer to this as "Wave 5" in their slideshow?  Isn't the line breaking down like this?

The same reason they referred to ROTJ Wave as Wave 5 (January 2011) at SDCC - it's an "oops". :P

They must have had some master internal slideshow they were pulling these from and were just negligent about the wave # and date.  It's not the first time that the slideshow date conflicted with the placard/booth dates.  RotJ Wave probably was January 2011 and AotC probably was February 2011, but once they postponed the ANH and TPM waves at some point in the year, the Jedi/Clones waves got moved up or whatever.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2010, 08:30 PM »
That Zam sculpt is absolutely beautiful - this can easily be my favorite action figure of all time! I don't care much for the removable helmet feature since we never see her without it (same TVC 3-piece helmet Vader shpeal), but this is just amazing! SA, removable helmet, interchangeable facial scarves, 2 head sculpts, blaster and rifle! Hasbro could have stopped with the blaster, but they went the extra mile with the rifle! Although I'm slightly bummed there's no assassin droid and/or kouhuns, I'm still very pleased.

I like how Kit Fisto's head sculpt appears to be a mix of the AOTC and ROTS models. I would have passed if it looked more AOTC-ish mainly because we just got a decent version in the Geonosis Arena line.

I'm so down for that Mace Windu - a huge improvement over the TAC sculpt that's been reused ever since.

And with this brand-new SA Anakin, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an upcoming SA standard Padawan outfitted Anakin, using the new SA legs on this new figure.

Padme is a genius mix of articulation, soft goods, and plastic. A very nice looking figure.

Jango is a worthwhile purchase because of the accurate coloring, upgrades, and even poncho, which makes it "2" figures - the TAC Jango w/ poncho (which was never seen in the movie), and a standard armored Jango.

What makes me so upset about the release date, though, is that it makes us wait longer for that awesome Zam!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2010, 11:20 PM »
I like Anakin and Padme. I'm sure I'll buy Zam. But I don't think I need another Obi-Wan, Kit, or Jango. But then, I haven't decided if I'm getting a carded set of Vintage yet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk