Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC  (Read 104327 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Luminara probably does stand out as one of the really few but very cool ultra-posed figures from that era.  And for the purposes of the arena battle she really works.  Thankfully the ROTS figure makes up for the sins of 2002 with tons of articulation.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2010, 11:53 PM »

Some folks used that absurd headsculpt to make pretty funny customs of people dying and stuff.  Kind of funny that something good came of such an utterly attrocious action figure.  I mean, what kid or adult would look at that and think "Wow, that's cool!"?

The other kick in the nuts is that, not only did Hasbro choose to screw the pooch with the poses and all the action features, but 99% of the action figures didn't even work well.  I can only think of one action-feature-laden figure of that era, the SBD, which I didn't mind.  I liked the battle damage, the parts and things.  I think it's cool that his cannon arm even returned to the CW3D line.

I kept my SBD parts for battlefield rubble.  You could plug in that blast effect too, kind of neat.  Too bad their paintjobs blow.

I would put Arena Padme and Senator Jar Jar right up there with the POS Mace though.  Those were pretty bad figures.  Then you had all the geonosisians made of rubber that are (once again, for me anyway), just battlefield rubble.  Oh and of course the regular battledroids to join them.  :)

Pilot Padme had a feature and I still think she's decent...  Typho was a decent figure for his time I guess.  That line was in its latter stages though before it put out much that was really worth hanging onto.  Antilles, Dodonna, Imp Officer head variants and stuff.

And that's exactly my thought too Darby, that if it isn't for the ROTS incarnation, then the figure is really going down the tubes.  Case-in-point, Barriss Offee, who's not been updated, but who desperately needs it.  Between her gaping maw of a mouth, and the absurd pose that is useless without the stand they included (and even then, mine's prone to tipping if not balanced just right on the stand), she really just bites the big one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35 AM »
Thank Todd McFarlane's influence for the 2002 SW debacle. Ephont Mon was the best figure to come out of that era. The post 2003 CW stuff was much better as it returned to normal and brought us into the SA age.

JJ speaking of bad heads used for dying figures here is some custom severed heads I made, one is the Deluxe Slashing Anakin head that was even worse than the Mace Windu above:

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2010, 01:43 PM »
On the "Figure Release List" Mace is listed as "Repack".  Is this true?  He looks pretty darn new to me.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2010, 02:04 PM »

I'm embaressed to say I bought this figure when AotC figs came out because the regular Mace wasn't out at the time.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2010, 10:21 PM »
On the "Figure Release List" Mace is listed as "Repack".  Is this true?  He looks pretty darn new to me.

The "repack" listing for Mace on that list was based on a Q&A answer given to RS before SDCC where Hasbro said he'd be a repack...  

Based on the figure shown at SDCC though he does appear to be some degree of new/kitbashed, so the list probably needs to be updated...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:21 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I hope they also make a new Barriss Offee figure in this wave.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51 AM »
A few carded and loose images have turned up at Sandtroopers for this wave.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2010, 12:58 PM »
The Title in the star wars holding shape is ...awfull?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Even though it's still wrong to have prequels on these cards - doesn't look too bad.  AOTC lettering looks 70ish to me at least...for some reason.  When are they supposed to drop the Boba sticker??
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2010, 01:43 PM »
The Title in the star wars holding shape is ...awfull?

I like seeing prequel figs on vintage cards but I agree with you. I am not crazy about the AOTC logo they went with.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45 PM »
I dodn't mind it. It's kind of vintage-y  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Awesome  :D.   My favorite card is Obi-Wan and Kit Fisto.  Disappointed in Jangos card.  No SBD, Mace, or Senate Guard  ??? .  I am guess there cards - Maces (blocking Jangos blasts), SBD (scene when it hits the BD), SG (press still).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Since I'm not interested in the packaging that much, they're cool enough for me...  They become garbage generally.  Unless of course I can figure a way out to remove the bubbles without damage.  Otherwise, eh.  As long as the figures are cool, I'm happy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20 PM »
The logo is a little disappointing - there is a OT esque logo for AOTC I thought they'd use which is better - but I like the photos they chose, generally.  The photoshop backgrounds blow, but the neon-ish Zam pic is very 70's.