Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC  (Read 103818 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19 PM »
when I first saw this wave I thought to myself, "there is no way I am getting ANOTHER Mace or Kit Fisto".  Well, when I find this wave, I will be getting ANOTHER Mace and Kit Fisto.  They look great

thanks for all the pics.

Offline Jibba

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I posted these a week or so ago over at Rebelscum... sorry about a few of the photos which didn’t turn out all that great as well as the dusty table (it has basically been sitting in the corner of my room for a while with figures on it while a reorganize the display).

Jango Fett – VC34

To be honest I only bought this figure because I don’t have another SA Jango and because it seems Hasbro isn’t inclined to give us an updated figure. The housekeeping first though before I analyse the figure; essentially, as far as I can tell, it is the same Evolutions sculpt with new arms from the mid-bicep down. As such he has the same basic 14 POA. The headsculpt and helmet sculpt are the same... the accessories are all repacks with the exception of – as far as I’m aware – the jetpack and missile. So that means the headset, poncho and blasters are all as we have seen before. The paint application seems well applied and for the most part seems screen accurate.

Now for the figure itself... as soon as you unpackage the figure and attempt to remove the poncho you are unfortunately met with a flaw; the poncho is incredibly difficult to remove due to the arm blades. Anyone who bought the TAC Apartment Jango with Poncho will remember that it was difficult to remove even with that figure... this figure seems to only worsen that situation. The blades themselves are, unfortunately, unremovable which scene specifies this figure. I personally think they aren’t noticeable and don’t detract from this figure being a standard Jango; it’s still a flaw however. The poncho itself is made from a different material than the TAC figure. It’s more of a ‘fabric’ than‘nylon’ and as such seems to pick up every single piece of fluff or dust.

The helmet is terrible and inaccurate as usual – absolutely no improvement as far as I can tell. I simply swapped it out with my, albeit damaged, TAC Poncho Jango helmet sculpt so I’m not entirely disappointed by this. Another frustration however is that the TAC Poncho Jango jetpack doesn’t fit the peghole of this figure which is unfortunate because the jetpack isn’t all that great. The jetpack, while it is cool it has a non-firing rocket with exhaust ‘jet’ just isn’t as accurate as I would have liked. For the money they spent on the sculpt (assuming it is new; I’m unsure) they could have simply made it an accurate jetpack with no gimmick. Stupid feature in my opinion. And the final flaw in my opinion is the fact the sculpted ‘ball-hinge’ for the shoulders is sculpted in purple rather than silver.

Overall this figure, while it still has the inherited flaws of the Evolutions sculpt, may still be the most accurate version yet. Flaws aside this is a good figure and was about what I was expecting from it. It looks cool in the display and that is all it need do for me. 6/10

With the TAC Poncho Jango Helmet

In my display behind the Separatist leadership:

Zam Wesell – VC30

I have never actually liked the character of Zam and I only really bought this figure because she is both essential (given she plays a significant role is setting off the Clone Wars) and the fact she would look rather cool in my Underworld display. So, like Jango, she was bought more out of necessity rather than me actually liking the design or character. However once you have this figure in hand I must say I actually want to learn more about the character.

Housekeeping, as always, must be set to first. She has the standard 14 POA which are all exercuted really well... none of those terrible joints that don’t work properly, these are an example of articulation being executed to its finniest. She is packed with a really great amount of accessories which, although essential for the character, are surprising given the amount of accessories Hasbro is normally able to include. These accessories include in-use face cloth (for lack of a better word), draped face cloth, helmet, blaster, rifle and alternate Clawdite headsculpt. All of this is packed nicely and painted to the standards already set by this line.

The first thing you notice when you remove the figure from the packaging is that there are no securing rubber bands... so it just lifts right out. Initally it seems she is really difficult to stand (don’t know if this was just mine) however once you move her around a bit it is apparent this isn’t an issue. The alternate headsculpt, while it looks weird given the ‘human’ neck ‘post’, is really well detailed and painted. The human headsculpt, to be honest, isn’t a good likeness in my opinion (especially with Kit and Mace in this wave) however its only slightly off... just use her disguise cloth.

The ‘cloth pieces’ are sometimes easy to put in an sometimes not. By that I mean sometimes when you are putting the pegholes in it is really fiddly, however other times it literally just pops into place immediately. It is important to note that here ‘rangefinder’ can’t be lowered with the face cloths in place (both of them). The helmet is also removable... however her hair underneath is naturally simplistic. Her overall sculpting is really well done and seeming has all the details necessary... all of which is emphasized by great paint application. Her kama is also soft plastic (much like the ones used for Rex and the other commanders in TCW line) and as such doesn’t impede many poses. The paint application itself has a slight wash to it and seems accurate to the film.

Overall this figure makes me appreciate the character of Zam much more then I have previously. It’s something which, while I though it merely necessary, has actually surprised me and has turned out to be a great figure. Great figure which makes one less character needed to be made. I am unsure how exactly others are going to display this figure... the Clone Wars tells us that for the most part these type of Bounty Hunters are in their natural state form most of the time. What do you guys think? 9/10

How I have mine posed

The Episode 2 Bounty Hunters (note that Jango has the TAC poncho helmet and not the one included with this figure):

__________________________________________________________________________________

Mace Windu – VC35

If Sam Jackson had seen the previous incarnations of Mace Windu in action figure form he would not have been happy... in a way only Sam Jackson can. However this latest figure is without a doubt truly worthy of being a figure of Jackson. In fact in typical SLJ style he probably arguably now has the greatest Jedi figure of the entire line. However before I review the figure there are some housekeeping details. The figure essentially consists of the 2007 TAC Legs (may be different sculpt; unsure), Torso and Arms paired with an all new Headsculpt and Belt/Skirt piece; a kitbash at its finest. Hasbro has taken the great pieces from the TAC figure and fixed the problems which that one had. He is also packed with an unlit lightsaber hilt, a lightsaber (undetectable from hilt) and a cloak. The articulation is standard 14 POA with no ball-jointed hips. Pretty standard Jedi figure.

The true standout part of this figure however is of course the headsculpt (which is more than likely the one originally intended for the TAC figure as seen in its press photo). However whether sculpted back in 2006 or not this likeness is, in my opinion, the most accurate seen on any 3 ¾ scale figure in any line. The details are simply astonishing; so much so that if placed in a good display with good lighting it essentially looks like Sam Jackson has been scaled down. The lightsaber, as far as I can tell, are accurate to the one used on screen. The paint apps, as has been the trend for this line, are really great... this figure is a noticeably different colour from the TAC Windu (for those wondering).

One thing however might cause a ‘discussion’ on the boards is the cloak. Essentially, the sleaves are disproportionate to the rest of the cloak (to long) and as such are folded in the packaging. However there may be reasoning for this. When you fold them down they are essentially just standard sleaves which are too long and as such seem as an error. However when they are folded up they appear to ‘drape’ more at the cuffs (like Palpatine’s cloak)... which is of course how Windu’s cloak is in the films. So with that said it seems to me that they are intended to be folded up and that this was a way for Hasbro to design a new cloak for Windu. While they aren’t accurate they are certainly noticeably different then the other Jedi cloaks. I’m personally fine with this.

Overall this figure is the definitive Mace Windu figure which fixes the flaws of the TAC figure which just fell before the finish line. Aside from ball-jointed hips (which I don’t think it really needs) there is not much else which can be done for the character. Exceptional figure which will go done as one of the greats of this line. 10/10

Next to the TAC figure:

The next few photos are not how the cloak naturally sits. Takes a good amount of time to get it like this.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Senate Guard – VC36

Of the figures I bought today the Senate Guard was the one I was most interested in... simply because of his ‘Roman’ design and the enigma of what body they used. Some housekeeping first however; basically this is an all new sculpt, with two layers of soft goods. He is packed with a rifle and an electro staff. Articulation is basic only without ankles... and the ball-jointed head is essentially redundant due to the helmet design.

The body sculpt itself is interesting. It is the same design as the ROTS figure only with ball-jointed arms instead of swivel. Interestingly however they have incorporated the ‘clam’ shoulder armor as used by Senate Commandos in The Clone Wars. It’s a really great unexpected detail on the part of Hasbro and really shows that they want to include aesthetics for the fans. It is also notable that the paint is, obviously, far superior and detailed than the ROTS figure. The body sculpt also includes a holster for his ‘Biker Scout’ pistol. The cape itself is a little too long and it does ‘crinkle’ like the Magnaguards cape. The helmet is also interestingly done... basically the reason it looks removable is because there is a ‘sculpt’ within a helmet. The sculpt can’t be removed and it isn’t a head however it is a separate sculpt...

Overall this is a really great figure. 9/10

Alright, for this photo it should be noted the one on the left has been ‘customized’ slightly by me to make his cloak sit better. Essentially I take at least 20 minutes setting up each figure as I would any Sideshow figure... The one on the left is without alteration and you can see the difference in the cloak.

Here they are, both ‘customized’, in my ‘work in progress’ Galactic Republic display in my new display unit.

Kit Fisto – VC29

I have always liked the Kit Fisto character. Even as a kid he was that one obscure character I really liked. Having bought and played with the figure on the back of the card as a kid this was a definite buy on many levels. Some housekeeping first; Kit is an all new sculpt with a soft goods ‘skirt’ and cloak. The articulation is basic 14 POA which included ball-jointed hips. Accessories are basic; unlit and lit lightsabers and a cloak.

The figure itself is extremely detailed and has great paint application. The details are really well executed and the likeness, although based off ROTS and not AOTC,  is almost as great of Mace Windu’s. Joints all work great as well.

Not much else to say about this figure other then its great. Definitely essentially for any Jedi Order/Republic display/ 10/10

Another thing I would like to mention is that it is perhaps advisable to iron the Senate Guards robe. Although I still have utilized some blu-tac it does sit better in my opinion:

One on the right is ironed (although it doesn’t make much difference in these shots it requires less effort for them to sit correctly on the figure. I took much more time getting the one on the left right then I did with the one on the right):

Hope you guys enjoyed the photos. If you like these reviews and photos enough let me know and I’ll do them for each figure released. I do have one request however: would it be possible to get you guys/gals opinions on the following:

a)   My display system; do you like the set-up and layout?
b)   Do you think my Mace and Senate Guards look better or worse with my 'improvements' than they would without them.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Nice pics, photos caught the details
Jango gauntlets got the diferents with their claws, tools
Zam accesories and weapons are colorful, also the helmet with binoculars is a n effort in depicting detail; perhaps in the future they will paint in other color the glasses.
The different between tac and tvc windu is the scale and head sculpt; tvc is shorter, but his head sculpt nails the traits of Jackson better.

But in this way to evolve characters, what would be the difference between the tvc aotc Mace and a tvc rots Mace?

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2011, 09:34 PM »
The Mace and Zam are the ones I'm most interested in and your review and pics has sold me on them. I appreciate the details on those figs. They are all really great figs.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Thanks for the images Jibba, they're cool.

I'd say the display system you're using looks fine to me, but I'm always changing my own display methods.  I'm kind of to the point now where I'm likely going to invest in the Marauder Inc. interlocking stands for most of my collection though, and definitely once I start putting my army builders out in some bulk.

ON the cloaks, I think anything you can do to display them more natural looking is great...

Some people soak them in water and let the weight of them on the character dry, for a more natural hang.  I'd be hesitant to use blue-tack as it will stain things (trust me on that, haha), but if you're ok with it if it's hidden, I'd say you're doing whatever makes you happiest.  For me, I just try to fold the fabric as best I can.  Ironing is a good idea too that I've done as well.

I'm a big fan of softgoods, and to me they add to the toy overall, so I love having them.  Making them look just right can be tricky, but I'd never trade it, honestly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2011, 02:45 AM »
I'm really sold on the Zam Wesell figure. Hands down, best TVC figure (to me, at least). Amazing sculpt and detail - look at how awesome the paint apps are! There are dark washes in the creases of the "cloth" bits... I'm just so impressed that I'm at a loss of words... :o

I'm really liking Ki Fisto, too! I thought it was redundant to include him in this wave so soon after the Geonosis sets, but this time, Hasbro just nailed it. The facial sculpt looks more ROTS-style than AOTC-styled, but I'm fine with that.

"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jibba

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Glad you guys liked the pictures.

Some people soak them in water and let the weight of them on the character dry, for a more natural hang.  I'd be hesitant to use blue-tack as it will stain things (trust me on that, haha), but if you're ok with it if it's hidden, I'd say you're doing whatever makes you happiest.  For me, I just try to fold the fabric as best I can.  Ironing is a good idea too that I've done as well.

I wasn’t aware blu-tac stained things... anymore information regarding the wetting of the soft goods, because I would be interested in trying it. Is there a specific method of executing it?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2011, 03:25 PM »
I like all except the Battledroid...the pistol is just dumb.

I'll most likely pick up:
-Kit Fisto
-Jango Fett (two of them)
-Mace Windu
-Zam Wessel

Possibly a couple of Senate guards to replace the POTJ ones I have.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2011, 03:47 PM »
No real trick to the wetting of the softgoods, you just get them soaked, put them on the figure, and arrange them as you wish.  Let them dry then, and they take the shape you let them hang in fairly well.  The weight of the wet cloth then sort of hangs it on the figure in a more natural way.  I've seen it done on a lot of figures and it looks nice. 

Of course, you can't move the figure then though.  ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I cracked this wave open last night, it's right up there with the ROTJ wave. Here is my opinion breakdown:

- Kit Fisto is really amazing. They finally nailed him and the sculpts all around is an A+
- Mace Windu's upgrade really brings him up to par with other Jedi.
- Zam is just awesome! Lot's of ways tocreat all of her looks.
- Anakin is pretty cool for a lame outfit. The soft goods turned out great!
- Jango is a plus up. they gave him a lot of new details and a better paint job with some new gear.
- Obi even got some new paint details! More accurate in robe colors and they paint his saber too!
- Senate Guard is really killer! Best of all, the ROTS Guard head fits perfectly so you can even upgrade them as well.
- Padme is the dog of the bunch. Like the majority of Padmes she is a pepper shaker in a dumb outfit.
- SBD has an improved paint job. I am surprised that the SBD did not have the articulated ankles like the Geo one. The blaster really puzzled me. He is an easy pass but is also a solid figure.

This wave will be popular. I want 9 more Senate Guards and some other extras, you guys will love them! (BTW - Wave 5 really blows and truly is a let down.)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2011, 06:42 PM »
While the pepper shaker aspect of the figure is there, the likeness to Natalie Portman is one of the best ever...not too mention the detail on the dress and swappable head gear.  I bought two for the two scenes along with two Anakins for similar reasons.

I think I will pick up 2 more Mace Windus as well to thin out some of the crap ones in my display as this should be the last one I ever need to buy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2011, 09:16 AM »
I found what appeared to be most of this Wave last night at Walmart, so it has officially hit here on the East Coast now. It doesn't seem like there is much activity in the Store Reports section lately, so hopefully people start getting out there again and looking for this stuff. Zam looked pretty sweet, the winner of the lot IMO.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2011, 11:38 AM »
So far I've seen Anakin and Jango from this wave, at Wal-Mart.  Bought the Anakin, love this figure.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I am still not feeling this Padme. Her skin is melting into the hood. I wish they made the head like the Senate Guard head in two parts. I am now on the hunt for guards and another Jango. i have extras of Mace and Kit so I am going to test them in their pimped out star fighters. Like the previous ones I do not think Kit is going to fit in it.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Hit Target today desperately hoping that I would at least find leftovers of this wave...

And there were only scatters of Dengar, 4-LOM, Bespin Pilot, and Anakin. :'(

NO... ZAM... WESELL!! :-[

Zam Wesell has got to be my most-anticipated, she's such a cool character, and I've wanted an update for such a long time - plus, there's so much effort on the figure!

I'm really hoping these hit my area soon, the pegs were pretty much empty, there must have been only 2-3 figures on each of the pegs dedicated to TVC.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"