Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC  (Read 103829 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 4 - AotC
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Some of you guys are braver than me. $7.99 is my limit. I'll probably break and pick up Zam if I see her in stores for $9 but nothing else.

Such a shame these prices have most of us reconsidering the hobby, as TVC has been some of Hasbro's best work, IMO.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2011, 09:29 PM »
If MSRP goes up, expect WM to raise their prices.

I was hoping $8.99 was a short-term thing here, just a post holiday cash grab on the line.  I'm not so sure any longer on that.

It's disappointing because I love the line but I'm tired of price hikes.  I don't care what Hasbro's problems are.  I have my own bills too, and toys aren't going to factor into them any longer.  The line isn't THAT good.  It's neat, it's good, but it's not that good.  Two figures for $9 + tax and we'll talk more then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2011, 03:42 AM »
According to a front-page report on Scum, there's a running card change to the Senate Guard. It's pretty early into this wave's release, too.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2011, 10:34 AM »
I kind of like the change - it seems a little more Kenneresque.  I'm glad I found the first one now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2011, 08:55 PM »
So I found MOST of Wave 4 the other day at a local K-Mart...  I'm really happy about that since, like I've mentioned before, I used their Rewards Perks card to get them cheaper.  For the curious you simply sign up for the card and have it scanned on all purchases.  You accumulate points which translates into money off future purchases.  I had about $6 racked up, so when I found most of Wave 4, I got $6 off the total purchase...  That's nice right?

The cool thing is you can accumulate it a long time.  They hold for a full year I believe, so that's a long time to rack up stuff.  You could walk out with free figures depending on how much you shop there.  The only problem is K-Mart isn't as common (or even exists) in some areas, and some people have stigmas about shopping at K-Mart.  In the N.East they're pretty common yet and sort of a shopping necessity, so I tend to rack up a bit there...  not a lot, but I get little $5 to $6 discounts fairly frequently.  Like I said in another thread, I'm doing my gf's oil change on her Jeep and so right after I'd used my rewards I will have more coming because I bought 5 quarts of Synthetic oil on sale and a filter.

Anyway, long story short and because I have a KM conveniently located to my house, and because KM generally gets each wave in at least once, I'm happy about that.  Unfortunately KM may jack prices up higher now that everyone else has hit $8.99...  For now they haven't.  We'll see how long that lasts.   :-\

So some early thoughts on the figures, which I got to open only late last night...

-Padme...  She's probably my biggest disappointment, especially at what figures are (Even $7.99).  She's a salt-shaker, typical of Padme figures, with some nice (but ultimately pointless) softgoods.  Her sculpt is decent, there's details that are really nice in her dress, and she comes with the two hats...  I think the two hats are cool and slightly tempting to get a 2nd but I'm not willing to commit on extras of things I'm not overly thrilled with.

Suffice it to say, Padme fills a role, but I would've liked to have seen Hasbro try something different with her, and do more softgoods.  It would've been tricky with the detail in the dress though so I'm not sure it's a realistic request.  She's alirght for what she is but probably my least interesting of the wave, short of the SBD who I will not buy.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi...  OK, I'm never one to profess I'm an expert on costume details.  I really just like it if it's generally correct.  So if Obi's inner-shirt isn't the right shade of tan or something, eh whatever...  That said, I did notice Obi's "skirt" not matching his tunic in color with his Legacy figure, so I was hoping for an improvement there.  And I got it.  This figure's pretty great besides no saber hilt.  He's pretty perfect actually aside from that, as he has all the things a Jedi should, and all the articulation a hero Jedi certainly should.

I like the likeness on him, the hair...  The deco on mine is great, and there's some extra color there as the Robes are a variety of tans/white.  In general I like him, and he's among my favorite Jedi figures because he even has the communicator on the belt, and sure he's mostly repacked (is anything different but the deco really?) but he just feels improved and better looking overall.  I'll move my Legacy into his Jedi Fighter now.

-Mace Windu...  Next in order of preference is Mace...  I love this guy.  This isn't a massive update, but it's enough that it makes a huge different compared to his previous incarnation.  This is the Mace you want on your ROTS shelves, your AOTC Shelves, your TPM shelves...  This is your ultimate Mace.

Hasbro didn't improve articulation, but they did a bangup Sam Jackson likeness like never before.  Probably the biggest gripe of most Mace figures has been that face and it's much, much better.  I like the scowl too.  Like Obi-Wan, the headsculpt looks neutral but "serious".  Together they look like they're about to make Geonosis eat its vegetables.

The next cool feature?  They finally gave mace a Saber hilt he can clip on his belt!  That only took what?  12 years?  Better late than never, right?  Unfortunately they forgot it on Obi!  WTF!?  Anyway though Windu's rocking the apprporiate gear, and a nicely distinctly colored softgoods robe.

Also Hasbro was sure to adjust his "skirt" now so that Mace's nice leg articulation can function.  His 2007 figure was cool, an improvement for sure by leaps and bounds, but his movement was hindered by that solid plastic skirt.  Now?  Softgoods with a mix of plastic bits too, and he's really poseable as he should be. 

The robe colors are great too.  There's layers of creams, and tans.  Like Obi-Wan the deco was nicer than has been in the past I thought.

-Senate Guard...  I really like him but have one major gripe.  Non-removable helmet.  In this day and age, and when a figure's helmet is already a separate sculpted piece, and when figures cost this much, it's sort of a punch in the gut to have a helmet glued to a figure's head.  Sadly that's the case here though, and they could've done better.

That said, The softgoods are a vast improvement, and a cool feel for sure.  he also sports 3 accessories which are neat.  i like seeing the pike/staff, the rifle's ok, and the pistol's nice that they kept it and the old sculpt of the legs/armor underneath so it has a holster and all. 

I liked that there wasn't much adapting the ROTS sculpt too, like I said.  The armor's neat, so I'm glad they kept it, and I don't feel ankle joints are a necessity by any stretch if they are sculpted neutrally as this figure's are.  I like that they did update the arm articulation too, it helps with posing, however I wouldn't have whined if they weren't updated actually.  To me, they allowed good poses with the ROTS Angle-Cut joints.  This is obviously better though so thanks!

The helmet thing is my gripe really...  And it lends itself to customizing without an excessive ammount of work, so I'm not even that upset by it.  It's just annoying.  It feels like POTJ Fleet Trooper.  If the helmet and head are separate sculpts, just make them removable from one another and give the guy a full generic headsculpt.  *shrugs*

-Zam Wessel...  For me I kinda thought this would be my favorite of the wave, and she sure didn't let me down.  Zam's a really impressive resculpt of two previous figures that flat out sucked.  What's funny is her 2002 figure had such impressive articulation but it was almost entirely rendered useless by the awkward posing of the individual parts.  Her preview figure was somehow more stable and useful despite itself being pre-posed and lacking anything but a basic 6 points.

Today, Zam has been given her due... mostly.  She's rocking a lot of separate pieces/parts, she's got a working holster for her sidearm, she's got her sniper rifle, 2 veils (covering and not covering her face), a removable helmet, moving binoculars ON her removable helmet, and two heads (clawdite and human)...  Wow.  I mean, just wow.  It's all small stuff, but it's neat little small stuff that is appropriate to Zam.

The veils work, but they're a little tricky to get them snapped to the helmet and really working well.  I like them though, but part of me would have dug a softgoods one if it could've been done.  Regardless though, what they did was neat and with work they both fit well enough.

I love the binocs...  They move, they're cool, they pop off easily...  They make me wish Mandalorians still had movable range-finders on their helmets that much more, haha.

Zam's sporting one of the best decoes in a while too, on any Vintage figure...  Lots of silver, lots of washes, very fine face details, costume details, and even accessory paint aps...  one gripe, her hair seems off.  She seemed more blonde in AOTC than brunette, but I'm ok with it...  Her hair seemed kind of slicked or gelled back anyway, what you could see of it.

Also if I had one major gripe, it'd be her "skirt" thing.  It's plastic, which is ok as it doesn't inhibit her articulation.  However it does inhibit her ability to sit...  Since some people are still hoping she'llf it in her 2002 Speeder, it'll be tough with this skirt bit hanging down.  I think she still could as it's flexible at least, but it might be a little snug, and cloth would've worked a lot better.  Plus the texture of it would've been really cool to see what they could've come up with.

In another detail though, her likeness is REALLY impressively accurate.  Whoever sculpted her got the chubbier cheeks of the acrtress' face really well.  I was really impressed with it.  She's such a secondary human character I was surprised it was this well done.  It's a shame there aren't at least some blonde highlights in the hair or something.

Either way, she's my favorite...

Ironically...

I couldn't find Jango, SBD, or Anakin.  Anakin I understand, Jango too somewhat, but the SBD?  Weird.  I am going to pass on Jango, he's worse than Padme and almost as bad as the SBD to me (forgot him earlier).  Anakin I was hoping to get though, so hopefully I'll see him here eventually.  I've wanted that resculpt as much as Zam from AOTC now for a while.  They were my top 2, easily, from this film.  And he looks really fantastic.

Good wave though.  I wish I could've found them a month ago.  :-\  Unfortunately Pittsburgh's overloaded with Clones/Stormtroopers, or Wave 1 remnants (Dengar, CC Pilot, 4-LOM).  Not much else to be found here at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2011, 01:11 AM »
-Zam Wessel...  For me I kinda thought this would be my favorite of the wave, and she sure didn't let me down. 

I've said it billions of times, I love the Zam figure, I'll gladly put down the $11 for this figure. And it's also worth it, this is probably one of the few TVC figures with tons of accessories!

Hasbro should have given Mace ball-jointed hips, I'd rather Kit Fisto got the swivel hip joints, mostly since Mace is a primary character. But this figure really is great though.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2011, 02:26 AM »
I can't say I'd plunk $11 down for Zam, but she is definitely liked a lot.  A very well made figure for sure.  I don't even know how I'm going to display her.  I wanted like 3 of her at one point, now I'm thinking one and done.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2011, 08:59 AM »
It's funny, I have seen lots of online praise for the likeness of Zam, but my recollection from the film was that it was an Asian actress and that figure doesn't even look remotely Asian to me.

Good likeness of the Clawdite mug though.  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Zam was played by Leeanna Walsman...she is not Asian

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Zam was played by Leeanna Walsman...she is not Asian

Thanks, I was too lazy to Google her, so I made sure to note this was just my recollection. I haven't watched those movies since the DVD's first came out, and if I have no interest in watching them again really.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2011, 09:42 AM »
It's funny, I have seen lots of online praise for the likeness of Zam, but my recollection from the film was that it was an Asian actress and that figure doesn't even look remotely Asian to me.

Good likeness of the Clawdite mug though.  ;D

I actually think the new Clawdite head sucks compared to the Saga version in terms of likeness.  The eyes and mouth are all wrong.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:42 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I really can't agree on that Jayson.  I just was holding the head up to that photo, and it looks really spot-on to me...  The eyes are the only thing off, and to me it's the paint and not the sculpt.  If they were a glossy blue-ish color I think they'd be better, but I'm not bothered by the paint not being totally accurate.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2011, 01:22 AM »
Still nothing of this wave.  I did see all of wave 5 yesterday though.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2011, 07:34 AM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2011, 03:53 PM »
I think if you blue the eyes up, maybe gloss them, and dial the pupil down, that's pretty spot-on for tye eyes.  I see the mouth gripe...  It's a little wider than it should be I guess, but that's so minor to me I'm ok with it, as it's the only sculpt thing that seems off.

The rest is just color/deco.  It looks too green and the eyes could've been better painted.  I'm amazed this figure had the deco it did though.  Hasbro's basically screwed figures on paint aps for some time now.  Since 2008 anyway.