Author Topic: Good Story on CNN About Star Wars Fans  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Good Story on CNN About Star Wars Fans
« on: December 9, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Star Wars Only for Boys?

Just saw this story while on CNN.  Glad that many people have actually sent her encouragement and that alot of the voice actors have sent her stuff as will.  Hopefully the kids that caused her to not want to bring her Star Wars item to school will be nicer to her.   

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Good Story on CNN About Star Wars Fans
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Thats a great story. I want to send her something.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Good Story on CNN About Star Wars Fans
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Her mom handled it right by listening to her, talking with her and encouraging her to do what she wants, no matter what others say.

However, I can't help feeling a little less sympathetic toward the mom because she blogged about her child's extremely common problem at school and seemingly made it much more than it was. The type of pressure to fit in that Katie felt is something that almost every second-grader goes through. Applying the "bullying" label to it is making it out to be much more than it is. All kids want to fit in. All kids notice differences in people and other kids. Pretty much all kids don't have the ability to articulate these feelings. This is what happened.

Like I said, the mom handled it right by listening to her daughter and encouraging her. That's all that needed to be done. Bleating online that her child was possibly "bullied" is just sensationalizing it.