Author Topic: 2010 DVD/BD Thread  (Read 24716 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 DVD/BD Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I know that many people aren't all that excited about the Blu Ray release of the LOTR trilogy, since it is only the theatrical versions, but I noticed that Amazon has a trailer up for the release (and some scenes) in their listing.  I will say though, just watching a "trailer" for LOTR makes me miss the times when these were coming out in theatres...good stuff.  Everyone here waiting for the inevitable "extended editions" release?

I'm excited and will be buying the set.  Then, when the extended editions come out, I'll get those as well.  Who knows when that will be (probably will coincide with the theatrical release of The Hobbit).  I need my LOTR HD fix sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:03 PM by Neal »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 10:31 PM »
I don't usually but DVDs, but I've been picking up some cheap ones lately.  Lynch's 1984 DUNE and Conan The Barbarian. Oddly, niether of them are great films, but I had to have them.  Nostalgia is a wierd thing...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 10:41 PM »
I don't usually but DVDs, but I've been picking up some cheap ones lately.  Lynch's 1984 DUNE and Conan The Barbarian. Oddly, niether of them are great films, but I had to have them.  Nostalgia is a wierd thing...

Dune's slated for a blu-ray release in April if you're the type (like I am) who'd rather wait for the HD version.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 1, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Picked up E.T. at Target for $7 on good old fashioned DVD tonight   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Anyone picking up Avatar tomorrow?  I'm caving on the BD version.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 10:20 PM »

I think I'm getting the Blu-ray.  I never did see it in the theatre and I know the effects will be lost a bit but I do want to see it.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 12:18 AM »

I'm heading to Wal Mart in a few minutes to pick it up. The DVD isn't for me, but rather it's a gag gift for a teacher who was thoroughly confused by the film. I'm tempted to pick up the BD down the road sometime when the price goes down. Knock the movie all you want, but I still enjoyed the visual effects.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Just skip it and see it in theaters later this summer when Cameron re-releases it.  Or buy the deluxe, super special, kitchen sink edition that's supposed to come out November-ish. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48 AM »
That is when the 3D version comes out.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 02:46 PM »
That is when the 3D version comes out.

Actually, Cameron recently said that's not the case.  There will be a deluxe edition released later this year, but it won't be the 3D version.

I picked up the BD this morning at Target.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 03:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read a report that we were going to end up with a triple dose of Avatar DVD/BD releases but I can't seem to remember where I read it.  But I was under the impression that the November release would not be the 3D BD release.

Anyway, unlike the LOTR releases where I happily paid for the theatrical release and then came back for the second Director's Cut boxed sets, I'm having a harder time volunteering to pony up the cash on Avatar.  I'd rather wait to spend that money till the film comes out in a deluxe set with the standard bonus features, cut scenes and commentary stuff.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09 AM »
I know that many people aren't all that excited about the Blu Ray release of the LOTR trilogy, since it is only the theatrical versions, but I noticed that Amazon has a trailer up for the release (and some scenes) in their listing.  I will say though, just watching a "trailer" for LOTR makes me miss the times when these were coming out in theatres...good stuff.  Everyone here waiting for the inevitable "extended editions" release?

I'm excited and will be buying the set.  Then, when the extended editions come out, I'll get those as well.  Who knows when that will be (probably will coincide with the theatrical release of The Hobbit).  I need my LOTR HD fix sooner rather than later.
Have they announced a release for the LOTR EE versions yet?  That, coupled with SW might tip the scales finally

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 01:43 AM »
No word yet, I'm sure they'll release it once sales of the current release plateau.

I'd guess in time for the holidays.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 09:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure I read a report that we were going to end up with a triple dose of Avatar DVD/BD releases but I can't seem to remember where I read it.  But I was under the impression that the November release would not be the 3D BD release. 

You are correct.  The November release is a 4-disc, all-the-bells-and-whistles 2-D release.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Why wouldn't they include the 3D version that will work with 3D TVs? The only blu-ray disc that includes a 3D version for 3DTV right now is Monsters vs Aliens. This movie seems like a great way to sell new TVs. Maybe it will be a new pack in?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours