Author Topic: Jedidefender Fantasy Baseball 2010  (Read 27858 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Jedidefender Fantasy Baseball 2010
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2010, 02:26 PM »
Is anyone else having issues editing the order of their leagues on Yahoo?  I've tried on different computers and different browsers, but I'm still getting hockey new first and foremost which is kind of a pain. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2010, 03:27 PM »
I always just use bookmarks directly to my team pages... at the moment I only have Baseball.

It's not really the answer to your question, but it might solve your problem in a different way.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04 AM »
I say this with as much confidence as someone can who is 47 points behind in the standings and in last place.

April was a horrific fluke for my team and if I'll either win this league, or finish top 3 at a minimum.

Current starting rotation:

Zack Greinke
Dan Haren
Justin Verlander
Jon Lester
Francisco Liriano

The only time I've seen a starting 5 like that is Rob's team that won a couple years back.  Something to the tune of Halladay, Webb, Haren, Duchscherer and someone else that slips my mind at the moment.

On the offensive front.  Slumps and power outages everywhere.  Bay.  Hanley Ramirez. Carlos Lee.  Brandon Phillips.  Combined these guys have 5 homers on the month.  This is not going to last obviously.

Most of my closers do suck however, and they blew up my ERA and WHIP.  Thinking of punting this category, so if any of you who want to compete in saves are interested in Wagner or Hoffman or whoever, make an offer.  With my starting 5, if I don't win W's, K's, WHIP, ERA I'd be shocked.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2010, 11:16 AM »
I like 3 of my starters right now in

Carpenter
Sabathia
Garza

Slowey I'm indifferent on and I've been evaluating options and Beckett has been absolutely awful.  Beckett was my #2 and it sucks he's been so bad.    My bullpen has been more than solid though and has picked up a few Ws to make up for how bad Beckett has been.

I regret taking Kinsler at the moment, I looked at all of the HR and SB and pulled the trigger.  Not realizing a sprained ankle was going to keep him out for a month+ ::)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2010, 11:45 AM »

The only time I've seen a starting 5 like that is Rob's team that won a couple years back.  Something to the tune of Halladay, Webb, Haren, Duchscherer and someone else that slips my mind at the moment.

Cliff Lee was the other one.  He won 22 games with a 2.54 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP, 170 K's.  Duchscherer I luckily traded at the perfect time... right before he got hurt.

My pitching this year sucks so far.  Peavy and Jackson are dreadful.  Everyone else I have is serviceable at best.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Most of my closers do suck however, and they blew up my ERA and WHIP.  Thinking of punting this category, so if any of you who want to compete in saves are interested in Wagner or Hoffman or whoever, make an offer.  With my starting 5, if I don't win W's, K's, WHIP, ERA I'd be shocked.

I would be.  I think you might get me in K's, but I'll put my guys up against yours for the other categories happily. 

Halladay
Santana
Johnson
Hanson

My relievers will help my ratios more than yours will.  Qualls and Feliz suck, but that's ok.  Rauch has been a surprise too. 

I'd consider my hitters to have underperformed as well.  Zobrist, Reyes, Butler and Holliday have underperformed but I don't see that lasting much longer.  Didn't like seeing Cruz go on DL but such is life.  I'm comfortable with my team. 

Nice of you to rip off your buddy there.  Didn't the stupid Canadian say something about him needing closers?  Nah, couldn't be. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2010, 12:05 PM »
It's like Kevin started playing again.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2010, 12:22 PM »
It's like Kevin started playing again.

Wait.  Mike told me that he offered you Verlander first in exchange for Papelbon, and you rejected it.  Then he offered Verlander for Mariano Rivera, and that was rejected.

Is Mike lying?

Because it sounds like you had dibs on Verlander before I did.

And if that's true, then take your Kevin comment back.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2010, 12:25 PM »

Nice of you to rip off your buddy there.  Didn't the stupid Canadian say something about him needing closers?  Nah, couldn't be. 

Mike told me that this was the sequence in which he offered Verlander:

1.  Offered to Rob for Papelbon and Rob rejected it.
2.  Offered to Scott for Mo and Scott rejected it.
3.  Offered to me for Brian Wilson and I took it.

I didn't rip anyone off, I just accepted the offer.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2010, 12:29 PM »
I was just joking around.  Talk to Brent if you want something taken back.

I'd have done that trade but I'm short on closers.  Verlander has sucked so far this year too, so giving up Papelbon for him seemed like a very bad idea.

Anyone interested in Grady Sizemore?  He's on the block.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:37 PM by Rob »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Tis true...but I will say the drop off from Paplebon and Rivera to Wilson is pretty steep.  I could have countered with one of my lesser relievers but didn't really want Verlander...enjoy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2010, 02:08 PM »

Mike told me that this was the sequence in which he offered Verlander:

1.  Offered to Rob for Papelbon and Rob rejected it.
2.  Offered to Scott for Mo and Scott rejected it.
3.  Offered to me for Brian Wilson and I took it.

I didn't rip anyone off, I just accepted the offer.

Dude, I'm just teasing.  But if someone offered me Verlander for my 11th round pick, I probably would have jumped as well.  Verlander started very slow last year as well, was on waivers for over a week at least so I think your pick up is astute.  Then Verlander came out of the April/May doldrums and pitched like he did two years prior.  Mike clearly left himself short of closers as I indicated previously:

Please express my wishes to Mike that he as an American was kind and generous to me in the draft by taking only one real closer and one backup.

He made a trade for what he needed.  If I'd really had a problem with the trade, I would have vetoed and I did no such thing.  Realistically looking at his staff, he probably should have done exactly what you said you may do - punted the category since he didn't draft that well in that category.  His starters are maybe not the best but there's a ton of potential there.  He got stronger in the CL category by picking up Wilson (someone I hoped to get in the draft) but realistically he's now only sitting on K-Rod and Wilson, he still won't compete in the category. 

As for Papelbon or Rivera (or in my case the whopping one save Broxton), I'd have said no as well.  Aardsma might have been a different story. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Tis true...but I will say the drop off from Paplebon and Rivera to Wilson is pretty steep. 

I guess somewhat.  There's a tad of a dropoff, but it's not as steep as you'd think.

2009:

Rivera:     3 W   44 SV   72 K   1.76 ERA   0.90 WHIP
Papelbon: 1 W   38 SV   76 K   1.85 ERA   1.15 WHIP
Wilson:    5 W   38 SV   83 K   2.74 ERA   1.20 WHIP

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I'll agree in most perspectives with that.  Wilson was actually who I was hoping to fall to my pick in round 11 (the pitching round in our draft, with six relievers and three starters taken) as I'd have taken him before Aardsma for sure.  Honestly at that point I was hoping to Wilson in round 11 and Aardsma in 12 but that run killed that hope. 

Still, I think the value of a Rivera or Papelbon playing for what should be perennially winning teams in the Yankees/BoSox holds a good chunk more weight than Wilson playing in San Francisco.  Those two would be "guaranteed" saves versus some risk with a Wilson type (or Aardsma) who lacks the same type of history.  That perceived value (I would apply the same to Broxton based on his ratios and K/inning rate) would prevent me from making that trade for any of those three unless I was punting a category (saves).  Aardsma, Wilson, K-Rod, Marmol, Fuentes - yes. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Sizemore and Escobar for a short stop? 

Anyone?