Author Topic: Jedidefender Fantasy Baseball 2010  (Read 27856 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Jedidefender Fantasy Baseball 2010
« Reply #105 on: May 1, 2010, 10:04 AM »
How does waiver priority work?

Twice people have dropped pitchers that I want and twice I've put claims on them and twice I haven't gotten them.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 1, 2010, 01:03 PM »
How does waiver priority work?

Twice people have dropped pitchers that I want and twice I've put claims on them and twice I haven't gotten them.

Click on the league page at Y! and you'll see in the 3rd column under "waiver" there's a number next to your team somewhere between 1 and 9.

Those are the priority your team has to get a free agent on waivers.  1 is the highest priority (you definitely get your player) and 9 is last.

Every time a player is added that was on waivers, the priority number changes.  At the start of the season, the priority is set based on where you drafted.  If you drafted first, you got priority 9.  Drafted 2nd, priority 8.  Right on down to the person who drafted last gets priority 1. 

So whenever a player is added to a team that was on waivers, you move up 1 space in the priority list, and the team that added the player gets reset to 9 priority.  Then when you get a guy on waivers, you get reset to 9 priority and everyone moves up 1 space.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 1, 2010, 01:10 PM »
You dropped yourself to last in the priority list when you grabbed Vernon Wells.  So anytime anyone with a lower waiver number (= higher priority ranking) goes for someone you go for, you'll lose.  So if you're at 9 and the person with the number 1 priority goes for the same person you'll lose.  But the same will happen if it's just you and the persone with #8 (or anything in between if you're at 9), then the #8 takes priority over the #9.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 1, 2010, 07:41 PM »
That was how I thought it worked, but I forgot that Wells was a waiver pick up and thought that maybe regular free agent pick ups affected the waiver order too.

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2010, 07:41 PM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2010, 08:35 PM »
I say this with as much confidence as someone can who is 47 points behind in the standings and in last place.

April was a horrific fluke for my team and if I'll either win this league, or finish top 3 at a minimum.

Current starting rotation:

Zack Greinke
Dan Haren
Justin Verlander
Jon Lester
Francisco Liriano

The only time I've seen a starting 5 like that is Rob's team that won a couple years back.  Something to the tune of Halladay, Webb, Haren, Duchscherer and someone else that slips my mind at the moment.

On the offensive front.  Slumps and power outages everywhere.  Bay.  Hanley Ramirez. Carlos Lee.  Brandon Phillips.  Combined these guys have 5 homers on the month.  This is not going to last obviously.

Most of my closers do suck however, and they blew up my ERA and WHIP.  Thinking of punting this category, so if any of you who want to compete in saves are interested in Wagner or Hoffman or whoever, make an offer.  With my starting 5, if I don't win W's, K's, WHIP, ERA I'd be shocked.

1 month later...

At this moment, in first place by 6 points.  That's a 53 point swing.

The sick thing is, I still think my team is underperforming dramatically.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2010, 11:42 PM »
Meh, whatever.  It's cool you moved up and all, but my O is slumping something fierce and Halladay has pitched poorly in his last two and the Braves let Hanson pitch with the flu.  My team is underperforming as well and I'm typically not near the top this early in the season.  Enjoy it while it lasts  :-*

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2010, 06:29 AM »
Meh, whatever.  It's cool you moved up and all, but my O is slumping something fierce and Halladay has pitched poorly in his last two and the Braves let Hanson pitch with the flu.  My team is underperforming as well and I'm typically not near the top this early in the season.  Enjoy it while it lasts  :-*

I actually expected that your offense would cool off, it's not as good as your pitching.  I also didn't expect a 30+ year old Halladay to continue pitching like Tim Lincecum, so his last few starts have not surprised me.  There has been a lot of jockeying for 1st place in this league so far, probably 5 teams have been in 1st in the past 2 weeks or so.  And I don't think I'm going to stay there every single day straight to the end.  Just sayin' I made up 55 points in a hurry and I think I'll be on top when it's all said and done*

*barring major injury
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:30 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Yeah, the injury thing can kill anyone.

I know Halladay is getting older, but Lincecum never came back around to me, so whatta ya gonna do?  I still think he's good for 20 W and 175K. 

My offense hinges on what Zobrist and Reyes end up doing, which prior to this week wasn't much.  If Zobrist goes 20/20 and Reyes puts up 35 steals, I'm happy.  I knew I was never going to win in HR because I didn't get any of the big bats so I conceded that from the start (well, Longoria maybe hits 30).  Holliday's been attrocious and Cruz has been hurt, but both should be very productive and likely top 10 OF by the end of the year.  Butler is a low level 1B but look where I got him relative to the rest.  I'm another OF and flex away from where I want to be.  All things in time.  At least it won't be as boring as last year ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2010, 01:30 AM »

I actually expected that your offense would cool off, it's not as good as your pitching.  I also didn't expect a 30+ year old Halladay to continue pitching like Tim Lincecum, so his last few starts have not surprised me.  

Halladay is totally over the hill  :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2010, 07:18 AM »

I actually expected that your offense would cool off, it's not as good as your pitching.  I also didn't expect a 30+ year old Halladay to continue pitching like Tim Lincecum, so his last few starts have not surprised me.  

Halladay is totally over the hill  :P

I'm thrilled.  I had him starting in my money league, and it's a points based league.  I got points for the following:

11 K's
1 Win
1 Complete Game
1 No Hitter
1 Perfect Game
1 Shutout

In all, he got me about 1/2 a week's worth of points and I knocked off the undefeated 7-0 team.

I never said Halladay is over the hill, I just didn't expect him to pitch like a 26 year old all season, especiallly with the amount of complete game 125 pitch outings he's had over the last 5 years.

Don't make me unleash Strasburg on you.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 6, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I turned my team over to Norman Osborn to take me to the finish line.  No mercy will be shown.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 6, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Odd, spiderman is running mine.  Funny coincidence that, hope it works out for ya.  :-*

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2010, 01:39 AM »
I've been pretty bummed about my pitching this year... but today they combined for 23 shut out innings.

I'm impressed for the first time in 3 months.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #118 on: August 9, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Power surge lately from my team, the BA and lack of R and SBs will probably do me in the end

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 9, 2010, 11:56 PM »
Must be nice... just when I thought my team might come around a little, I'm without Utley, Morneau, and Pena.   :-\