Author Topic: Iron Man 2 Toys  (Read 113142 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man 2 Toys
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2010, 02:33 AM »
I finally saw the movie version of War Machine today and it's an excellent looking figure.  I actually had both the comic and film versions in my hand and was going to buy them but passed for right now.  I pretty certain I'll end up with both, though.

I also finally saw the Iron Man figure with the light-up feature.  Kind of cool, but the head feels kind of flimsy and easily breakable.  Anyone that's opened it feel the same way or now that you've had them for a few days does it seem like a decent feature?   I would have thought they could have hidden the button in an armor panel instead, made it sturdier.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2010, 02:49 AM »
Saw these tonight as well. For those who are wondering, there are three versions of War Machine out there right now:

1 - Comic Version (still my favorite)
2 - Movie Version with Red Eyes
3 - Movie Version with Blue Eyes

I saw equal amounts of these at Target (2-3 of each), so not sure if any are more rare than the other.  I am finding that good paint jobs are relatively rare though.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09 AM »
The movie War Machine figures I saw were at K-Mart and both had red eyes.  I also saw the movie fig at Target but didn't pick it up and look so I don't know about the eyes.

I thought that the paint apps on the comic version of WM were excellent but there were some issues on the movie version.  One had some misses on the top of the helmet while the other had a screwy mouth/lower jaw paint app like the head turned in the mask when it was getting painted.  The white numbers and lettering on the movie version looked pretty crisp, though. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2010, 12:35 PM »
when these first hit at retail all I was seeing was red eyed movie War Machines at all three of the big box stores - so the blue was rarer from what I was seeing.  Then I went to Target earlier this week and they received new shipments and all they had were tons of the blue eyed version.

If you look at the back of the card you'll notice that it doesn't even have a particular color - the War Machine on the back of the card has blank eyes and chest.  It makes me wonder if we might see it both ways in the movie...

Anyway, this "variant" to me doesn't seem like much of an intended chase style variant where there is only a limited release of one version - I kind of equate it too the Rise of Cobra, Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes, with black or white Timber.  Both ended up being plentiful.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:35 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2010, 06:58 PM »
I used one of Hasbro's $5 coupons last night to pick up 3 Iron Man figures.  I got the movie Mark III IM and both comic and movie War Machine figures.

The Mark III is a really nice figure and after I was able to break the hip joints loose, it really turned into an excellent figure.  I don't know about the extra piece of armor, but otherwise it's nice.  Rather than that extra armor piece I would have liked to have seen an extra set of hands so you could pose him with his hands out behind him as stabalizers.  Still, nice figure.  I even like the 3-part card that these figs come with.

The comic War Machine is also quite excellent.  I like the way they handled the should cannons and the removable blast effects work well.  The articulation is also nicely done and I didn't have the hip problems with him that I did with the Mark III.

Movie War Machine, though, is my least favorite of the three and is mostly due to the articulation and shoulder cannon, specifically the missile launching one.  He has some issues with the hip balls only he didn't seem to sort out as well as IM did.  His chest articulation is also loose so he's a little floppy.  Otherwise, I like the arm/shoulder and added ankle movement on this vs IM.  He had doesn't move very well either, but well enough.  I'd again have liked replacable hands over the shooting missile.  The fig I bought has the blue chest, hand and eye paint vs the red I saw at KMart on Thursday.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2010, 12:25 AM »
The IM2 figures are on sale at Target this week.  Basic figures are $5.99.  Some of the others are on sale also but I didn't bother to detail all of them.

They also put up an end cap which was packed with more of all three sets, movie, concept and comic.  Everything we've already seen, though, from what I could tell.

E...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Iron Man figs back on sale at TRU 2 for $10.99

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I nabbed a blue eyes movie War Machine at my local KMart.

Also, is anyone else collecting the MegaBloks Iron Man 2 toys? I have the complete line so far for what is out, with exception to the two Techbots, which I'm not a fan of.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19 AM »
I've got five of the $5 off $20 purchase coupons printed and I keep almost pulling the trigger on some of this line, but I keep stopping myself at the point when it's time to take the figures to the register. I was thinking about picking up the Iron Man Mark I through Mark VI suits, movie War Machine and move Iron Monger to essentially have "everything" that was in the movies. Of course, I'll want to pick up Whiplash, Nick Fury and Black Widow if I start this too, so it's more than just picking up three or four figures.

So I have to ask - for those of you who have picked up a couple of the Iron Man figures or War Machine - are these figures nice or do they feel flimsy? Are they worth getting at a point like now when the figures are $11 for two at TRU and combined with the coupon they would be $17 for four?

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2010, 01:51 AM »
So far all but one have benn nice and tight joints. Over all no complaints.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2010, 01:59 AM »
So far all but one have benn nice and tight joints. Over all no complaints.

Same here.  I have found some paint errors and avoided those at the store, but all the figs I've opened are crispy tight and well articulated.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2010, 02:00 AM »
I have a Gambit from last year's Wolverine line and don't like it because it's lacking some articulation and feels somewhat flimsy to me.  The three Iron Man figs I bought don't feel the same and have much more articulation.

I got the IM Mark III armor and both War Machine figures.  They're all pretty solid figures and look excellent.  And they were over a $1 cheaper than Gambit.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with them but I can't speak to the IM figs that I didn't actually buy.  I'm assuming the articulaton and solid feel work across the full line.

I bought these three at $6.99 from Target and used the coupon and felt like I got a good deal so getting 4 and, with the coupon, paying less per figure than I did is an even better.

E...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Thanks guys - I think I'm gonna try to get Mark III, Iron Monger, War Machine and Mark VI to start - if I like them, I'll branch out to Mark I, Mark II, Mark IV and Mark V - gonna stick to stuff only shown in the movies, don't want to get too invested and "have to get 'em all!" hehe...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2010, 12:45 PM »
I've got five of the $5 off $20 purchase coupons printed and I keep almost pulling the trigger on some of this line, but I keep stopping myself at the point when it's time to take the figures to the register. I was thinking about picking up the Iron Man Mark I through Mark VI suits, movie War Machine and move Iron Monger to essentially have "everything" that was in the movies. Of course, I'll want to pick up Whiplash, Nick Fury and Black Widow if I start this too, so it's more than just picking up three or four figures.

So I have to ask - for those of you who have picked up a couple of the Iron Man figures or War Machine - are these figures nice or do they feel flimsy? Are they worth getting at a point like now when the figures are $11 for two at TRU and combined with the coupon they would be $17 for four?

Totally worth it. I've got all of mine set up in a semi-circle as if it was the Hall of Armor and I have to say they display very well together.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Not trying to sound like a wet blanket here, but is anyone else thinking this line isn't moving too well?  I am not seeing many holes on the pegs at Wal-Mart, Target or TRU - and I'm also not seeing them being restocked to fill holes either... could it be that they didn't include enough variety of characters in the line?  I know that for myself being more of a casual collector of this sort of thing, I find it a lot more interesting when there's more characters than a dozen or so different suits of the same guy.