Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 1  (Read 19948 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics Wave 1
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:37 AM »
It sounds like Mattel now has the license for all of the DCU.  If this means the DC Superheroes line expanding to the Justice League and beyond, this could be trouble for me ;).  Just as Legends seems to be winding down a bit for me, now this license might be picking up.  I guess its better than having them both full force at the same time.  Hopefully we'll see more from the DC Superheroes line now.  I'll admit I'm not as familiar with DC as Marvel, so if we see more toys, I should be able to keep it more manageable.  Just the main Justice League characters, and probably Flash's rogues (as well as Batman).
« Last Edit: March 4, 2010, 02:45 PM by Scott »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Classics Wave 1
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:32 AM »
It sounds like Mattel now has the license for all of the DCU.  If this means the DC Superheroes line expanding to the Justice League and beyond, this could be trouble for me ;).  Just as Legends seems to be winding down a bit for me, now this license might be picking up.  I guess its better than having them both full force at the same time.  Hopefully we'll see more from the DC Superheroes line now.  I'll admit I'm not as familiar with DC as Marvel, so if we see more toys, I should be able to keep it more manageable.  Just the main Justice League characters, and probably Flash's rogues (as well as Batman).

I wouldn't worry too much Brian, given Mattel's inability to actually ship what they say they're shipping or have a decent case ratio.  We're still getting shipped the Superman wave with Supes, Supes with black S, Supergirl with black S and Bizzaro.  Nothing else.  TRU is the only place carrying the line for us and I wouldn't blame them a single bit if they dropped that line altogether.  Of course we just don't get much up here anyway (never did get the Batman/Batgirl 2 pack).

I'm pretty set with DC stuff for myself though.  All I'm really wanting is a decent Flash figure, so maybe this will be it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37 AM »
That's true, although I think you probably have it even worse in Canada.  Mattel isn't great about shipping here, and although I haven't checked the pegs closely in awhile, I think we've probably just got a multitude of Supermen and Bizarros (and maybe old Banes).

Like I've said before, I'm really trying to cut back on the "other" lines at this point, and I'm going to try to keep it in check if we get some decent DCU figures out of this line now.  I've picked up a few of the figures so far, and will probably get some more of the Bat villains, and now if its opened up universe-wise, I'll get a few more favorites.  Flash is first on my list, then Green Lantern and Green Arrow, and then maybe the rest of the Justice League (or the most well-known Justice League members, I should say, since almost every character has probably been in at some point).

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 3, 2007, 04:04 PM »
I"m happy about this. I'm really just hoping for straight-up decent versions of the core characters. I don't need everyone, just the iconic DC superheroes.

True, that's exactly what I said about Star Wars in 1995, but Star Wars has been a constant in my life from the get-go.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Here's a short interview further discussing Mattel's new deal with DC.  It sounds like almost everything is available now, and we may be seeing the Build-A-Figure concept coming into this line.  It could be a really great line, I'm looking forward to it.  The article also includes a silhouette as a teaser to one of the first "new" figures they will be releasing.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2007, 03:04 PM »
The article also includes a silhouette as a teaser to one of the first "new" figures they will be releasing.

Hmmm... giant cape collar =

- Red Tornado?  He's had a big role in the new JLA comic so far...
- Mister Miracle?  Seems to be going to play a role in Countdown based on the teaser images... 

Eh.  I'm still undecided on this line.  I don't really have a lot of extra cash/space for these, but if I can get a really nice, really affordable Silver Age JLA, I'll most likely get sucked in...  you just know that a new Hal will be in wave 1 to tempt me.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2007, 03:19 PM »
Yeah, even though we haven't even seen anything yet, I'm already telling myself that I can't go too crazy with these.  Like you said Jeff, I don't have the funds or space for a lot of "other" lines anyways, and with 50+ Marvel figures already taking up a shelf (plus some of the current DC Superheroes stuff), I don't have a lot of room for more.  I've been picking up Batman-related stuff from the line so far, and hope to continue, but once the DCU takes hold I'm going to try to limit it to my favorite/most recognizable JLAers.  Flash and Green Lantern being first, with others (Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Aquaman, etc.) being probable buys for me as well.  Of course, this might be hitting a good time, as the Marvel line winds down a bit (with so many characters out already), so we'll see.  Too much good stuff out there these days with Star Wars, Marvel/Spidey, 25th Joe, DC Superheroes, Transformers (maybe), and next year, Indiana Jones.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I'm interested in a lot of ways in seeing what happens, but everything gets tempered by Mattel's absolutely horrendous case-pack history.  On top of that I've laid out a bunch of cash into the DC Direct type of figures as well and I really have most of what I want.  At the same time, if they're done well and easy enough to get, I could see myself being convinced to get into this line.  Probably the most important deciding factor for that will be if they manage to do the figures in a consistent scale, my biggest beef with the other lines of DC figures that are released.  It's just all over the place. 

The converse is I can't see this line being the same quality of sculpt/paint as say an Alex Ross series.  Still, huge potential to pick up and simply steal away Hasbro's Marvel Legends crowd given the recent issues folks have had finding ML, some of the bad sculpts/paint in the ML line and the simple fact the ML line has probably done all of the Marvel characters that are actually legendary in the first place (yeah, lots of choices are subject to debate). 

Now if I were Mattel, I'd reckon on a case of 12 figures, 2 pieces per character, six characters per wave.  Of those six I'd probably do
3 heroes
2 villains
1 female character

Being me, I'd say skip the chase figures, but they won't, so I'd suggest doing chase figures of only the heroes, but that'll never happen either.

So:
Wave 1:
Green Lantern :-*
Flash
Batman
Wonder Woman
Joker
Sinestro

Wave 2:
Green Arrow
Hawkman
Superman
Hawkgirl
Lex Luthor
some other villain

Wave 3:
Aquaman
Robin
Martian Manhunter
Black Canary
Bane
Catwoman

Funny, I have all those figures already.  Well, you get the point of what I'd like to see. 

Yeah, I know, why include Batman/Superman?  Mostly because they are core characters but I think they need to be done in whatever style/scale these figures are meant to be in.  We certainly don't need them too badly but they could still be in there and they do have the largest gallery of rogues to complement them. 

I'd be ecstatic too if these were articulated to nearly the same extent as Marvel Legends.  Is it too much to ask for a Green Lantern that can hold a damn bow? >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2007, 04:01 PM »
I like your lineup thoughts Brent, those look good.  Also, I agree, we're going to see Batman and Superman throughout these waves - much like Spidey/Wolverine/Iron Man/etc. keep showing up in the Legends assortments.  I really wouldn't be surprised to see Mattel taking a Legends-like mentality with this line, as they've seen how ToyBiz in particular was able to be so successful with that line.  Heck, I like the new sculpt Batman and Superman that we've gotten from the DC Superheroes line so far, and if they repaint them (Batman in black and grey), or repack them (Superman), that would probably be ok - even though I'm sure people will complain.  If we're getting other new characters like Flash and GL, I'm ok with having a repacked Bats or Supes.  You also have a good point about the villains.  Although there are other cool ones throughout the DCU, Superman and Batman have a lot of the best known ones (Batman in particular).  Hopefully we'll get a look at what's to come at Comic Con.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Action Figure Insider is now updating from the Mattel panel, and here's the latest news on DC Superheroes (to be renamed DC Universe Classics).  Still on the way this year:

Batman Series 4: Clayface, Transforming Bruce Wayne, Nightwing (new deco/accessories), Catwoman, Gas Mask Joker

Then, we get into the DCU lineups:

Wave 1: Red Tornado (and chase), Penguin (and chase), Etrigan the Demon, Orion, 70s Batman (new body), BAF Metamorpho

Wave 2: Firestorm, Harley Quinn, Black Manta, Electric (Blue) Superman, Aquaman, BAF Not Announced

Also, it sounds like there will be a 6" scale Four Horsemen designed line for the Dark Knight movie - alongside the traditional 5" line.  I'm looking forward to that, and its nice that they are telling people in advance unlike Hasbro with the Marvel movie lines this year :P.

EDIT: Now WIZARD has a look at some of them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 03:57 PM by Brian »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Did they mention anything about coming to their senses with respect to case ratios?  I talked to our TRU manager and he said if he could get anything knew, he'd bother ordering but everytime he orders, it's the same damnable case.

The 70s/Classic Batman is too buff :-\ 

Penguin is nice, wonder how well scaled it is. 

Red Tornado is nice too, but not as nice as the DC Direct version and since I'm actually paying less at my comic shop for DC Direct stuff than TRU charges for Mattel stuff, I'll pass.

Metamorpho is pretty neat but again that dilemma of buying more than half a wave I have no real interest in.

For the other stuff, I am curious to see the figures.  Based on the Wizard pics, they're generally well done, so bravo to Mattel for that.  I'm fairly certain I'll want the BAF from wave 2 since the only figure of any interest is Harley Quinn. 

I get the Batman and Superman always being present, it's a good idea.  But some of these choices are odd starting points to be sure.  Black Manta?  He didn't even sell well at 1/2 price clearance sales on the Ross version and it was actually pretty nice. 

Generally positive news though.  Addition of BAFs is ok, even with the massive frustration of buying crap I don't want, at least the figures/characters are there.  The character splits in the waves are great, no multiple Bat/Super-men so well done. Couple of female figures for the fanboys.  Jeez, it's almost like they're reading my posts :-X

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Yeah, I thought the pics shown at Wizard looked pretty good.  It sounds like the 2nd wave will be on display at WW Chicago.  I'd really like to go all out with this line, but I'm going to probably have to keep it limited to Batman's world and the big names from the League.  There's just so much nice stuff out there now between Star Wars, 25th Joes, Marvel Legends, and next year Indiana Jones.  We'll see I guess.  There are some odd choices in the lineups though, I agree.  I understand having a Batman or Superman in each wave though, and if they are different versions that's ok.  I was kind of hoping we'd see Flash or Green Lantern in the first couple waves, but they must be holding off on those.  It sounds like they are straight forward with the plans otherwise though - five figures per wave, and five waves per year.  That wouldn't be too hard to keep up with - if I didn't collect anything else :P.  It really looks like they are following the Marvel Legends model though now with the whole universe, BAFs, and chase figures.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 04:26 PM »
I'm still needing a Flash, so I have high hopes for this line to finally give me a decent Flash (probably with a Yellow Flash chase piece which I'll want badly).

I really do like the 5x5 approach and hopefully it'll make it north of the border.  I might try and jump on with BBTS for this line though. 

I wonder how large the BAFs are though, given it's only five figures per wave?
Now if I were Mattel, I'd reckon on a case of 12 figures, 2 pieces per character, six characters per wave.  Of those six I'd probably do
3 heroes
2 villains
1 female character

Being me, I'd say skip the chase figures, but they won't, so I'd suggest doing chase figures of only the heroes, but that'll never happen either.

Yep, they were paying attention, though I said 6 figures.  Five is better.  And they were supposed to listen to my suggestions, not ignore them.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 01:30 AM »
To my surprise, I found the DCSH Two-Face at my local TRU today. They also had that weird Knight Shadow Batman, but no Cassie Cain Batgril or Clayface.

I was just happy to find Two-Face. I didn't even know this wave was out yet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Nice find Ben.  That's the figure I'm looking for right now as well.  I must have missed it at our TRU.  After seeing your post, I decided to give our store a check (I figured Iowa-Nebraska might be similar).  The wave was there, as there were 3 Knight Shadow Batmen there, along with the Bane repaint.  I would have almost missed them though, as they were just tucked back on a shelf in a kind of haphazard place.  Our TRU kind of has "superhero" toys stuffed everywhere in the action figure area, with one area having the Superman/Bizarro bonanza and the JLU pegwarmers, and another area having old Superman Returns stuff with purple carded JLU, and the 12" figures.

Anyways, its really nice to see this DCU Classics line on the way next year.  I think if there wasn't so much other stuff out there (Star Wars, Indy, Joe, Marvel, etc.), I would maybe go all in on this line from the beginning.  That said, there's enough money going elsewhere collecting-wise, so I'll probably have to limit and pick and choose, focusing mainly on Batman villains and the "big names" from the league/etc.