Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 1  (Read 19970 times)

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Classics Wave 1
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2007, 04:36 PM »
The 70's batman is way too buff, but other then that the figures look great.  I've always been a big DC fan, so the chance at some obscure characters is pretty interesting (though scary).  The biggest issue is, these things don't really seem to have showed up north of the border.  I really wanted to get the brainaic, luther, and darkseid from the earlier waves, but never did see them.  So, I currently have no figures from this line.  Maybe that's a good thing though, I'm not sure.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2007, 04:44 PM »
Anyone need a S3 DCSH Azrael?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 02:56 PM »
WIZARD has pics up of DCU Classics Series 2:

Red Tornado (plus classic variant)
Firestorm (plus classic variant)
Superman Blue (plus Red variant)
Harley Quinn
Black Manta
Aquaman (plus modern variant)
BAF Gorilla Grodd!

They look great to me, and I might just have to pick up the whole wave to get that Grodd.  Looking good.

Nice to see that DC is doing its best to come out with characters as boring as the Marvel Legends line.  *yawn*  Not going to get a single one of these.  Glad someone likes them.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 04:23 PM »
Should I start bitching about BAFs here now too Justin? ;)  I'd like to get Grodd but the only figure I want is the Harley Quinn.

That's an odd, if not good looking first wave. 

Firestorm was literally just released by DC Direct in one of the sublines.  I didn't want it, but got the whole set at a good price, so I still haven't even opened it, if I ever do.

Black Manta looks almost exactly like the DC Direct Justice League version.  I'm fairly sure it's the same sculpt, which is good, if you like that character.  Actually, the Red Tornado looks just like they used the same sculpt too, which is actually concerning because they might not be addressing variability in scale issues if they're reusing sculpts. 

Superman looks goofy to me, but I'm not a huge fan, so I'm less than objective.

Aquaman is cool and I might actually spring for that one as the colors are more classic than the Ross version and I always liked the character, so having more than one isn't too bad. 

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I hear you on the BAF Brent.  I really only wanted Harley Quinn and probably Aquaman from Wave 2, but I'd really like to get the Grodd BAF, so we'll see how that goes.  I keep thinking this type of a line wouldn't be too bad to keep up on if it was all you collected.  They've already said they're shooting for 5 waves, 5 figures per wave (each with a BAF).  That's 30 figures give or take for the year for about $250.  Of course, I don't just collect these, so that's another story.

A small part of me is hoping that I'll basically be wrapped up with Marvel Legends by the end of this year (or the end of Wave 4 - there's a few I want from that wave), and I can hopefully just slide these into that "slot" in the budget.  I can't afford to do both at once, alongside Star Wars and Indy.  There's just too much nice stuff out these days, and even though I don't really have the room I keep on buying it :P.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 01:28 PM »
I'm with you, Brian. I only want Aquaman and Harley. These figures look great. It's kind of harsh to see Mattel schooling Hasbro in the superhero toy department. They'd do much better if they got with some better distribution.

I saw the Cassie Cain Batgirl at TRU this weekend, as well as the repainted Bane and another Two-Face. I wish I'd have picked up the Batgirl, but I spent my money on some Joes.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 02:44 PM »
If anyone sees that Cassie Cain Batgirl and can afford to help me out, I know it won't make it north of the border.  I'm actually still looking for the regular Batgirl as well, even the one from the two pack release.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 05:44 PM »
I think these are very cool but i cannot see myself getting into this for so many reasons. I dont have the space or the money. I would also be worried they would not make many of the figures that DC Direct has already made since i dont have any of those. Whatever excuse for me not to buy any of these works for me.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 07:37 PM »
If anyone sees that Cassie Cain Batgirl and can afford to help me out, I know it won't make it north of the border.  I'm actually still looking for the regular Batgirl as well, even the one from the two pack release.   :-\

I'll grab one for you if I see it.  Have you posted on the MN board?  Jay and Jeff seem to be the best at finding goodies lately.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 09:08 AM »
I saw the Cassie Cain Batgirl at TRU this weekend, as well as the repainted Bane and another Two-Face. I wish I'd have picked up the Batgirl, but I spent my money on some Joes.

I'm really on the hunt for that Two Face, but no finds there yet.  It seems like TRU is the only place getting this wave, from what I've seen so far.  Our Wal-Mart doesn't seem to currently have a spot for DC stuff (since the reset), and Target just has Supermen.  Our TRU had the Two Face assortment at some point, because I did see three Knight Shadow Batmen at one time (those have since sold).  Hopefully these won't be too tough to find, I'd really like to get Two Face to go with the Batman rogues.  I'm looking forward to the DCU Classics line, but unless Mattel can fix the shipping/distribution problems they have had with DCSH, its going to be a pain to collect.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention too, I don't know if anyone has read the reports of Big Lots stores getting a lot of newer DC stuff - but I checked our local store this weekend and they did indeed have quite a bit.  They had newer JLU packs (Joker and Hawkman packs), the new DC Superfriends line (Rescue Hero-ish), and the Superman figures from DCSH.  I did see the Cyborg Superman, which is supposed to be somewhat rare, but didn't pick it up.  They had others from that wave (Darkseid), and a ton of older Batman comic line stuff.  I picked up a Joker/Batman 2 pack, just because I didn't have a Joker.  He'll make a nice placeholder until we get a nice 4HM sculpted version in the future.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 6, 2007, 10:15 AM »
ToyNewsI has some detailed loose shots of the upcoming DC Universe Classics Series 1.  We've seen the figures before, but there are some nice pics if anyone is interested.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: September 6, 2007, 11:02 AM »
I'm still disappointed that we are two waves in with no signs of any GLs.   :'(

Perhaps DC is saving the GLC for the DC Direct stuff?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 6, 2007, 11:41 AM »
I'm kind of disappointed with no Flash or GL so far as well, but I figure they are spreading the "big guns" out a bit.  I would guess we'd see at least one of each somewhere in the 5 waves next year (or 3 remaining waves).  From what I understand, DC Direct will handle more "artist/storyline specific" type versions of characters, where the DCU Classics line will have the general, more all-encompassing versions of characters.  Aside from the fact Flash/GL are missing so far, I like what I see in the first couple waves.  The figures look nice, if Mattel can figure out distribution.  I still haven't seen a DCSH Two-Face (and I'm not the only one the way it sounds).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: September 6, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I'm kind of disappointed with no Flash or GL so far as well, but I figure they are spreading the "big guns" out a bit. 

Yeah, it makes sense that they'd spread the big 7 out. 

Only problem is that it seems like these Mattel lines never last long enough to get to wave 4/5.   :P

« Last Edit: September 6, 2007, 12:03 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender