Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 2  (Read 8932 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Thanks Brian.  Walmart up here is selling them for $12.92 or something like that.  It's actually getting quite frustrating to see the discrepancies in pricing.  I know you guys have had to endure some significant price jumps in the last couple of years (ML for example) but for us it's been hard watching the Canadian dollar equalize and then pass the US greenbuck.  Our prices have remained stable and still higher than your stuff.  I was hoping we might see some equalization but I guess the only way that's happened is not having our prices go up.  Still, Marvel Legends at $14.95 and the DC stuff $3 more at major retailers is frustrating.  Same for Star Wars as Walmart up here just jacked prices by $1 to $9.44.  Blech.  No wonder my interest in toys is waning. 

That stinks.  I have no idea how your income and other taxes play out, but that's a big price discrpancy.  Would you save money just ordering from a US company and just paying the extra shipping to get it sent up North?  Even if you break even, you'd save on gas costs...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 03:52 PM »
that stinks.  I have no idea how your income and other taxes play out, but that's a big price discrpancy.  Would you save money just ordering from a US company and just paying the extra shipping to get it sent up North?  Even if you break even, you'd save on gas costs...

Taxes don't help much either, but they're down to 12% from 14% a couple of years back. 

As for the US company aspect, yes and no.  When I was collecting and army building it was ok buying cases of stuff.  The hitch came in shipping.  The occasional place was good - Newforce was by far the best with charging me what they were paying and not over declaring values.  Plus Rick would use USPS which meant I had to handle the customs fees (which are just the taxes and a surcharge) on my own.  But probably every other retailer prefers to use UPS/DHL/FedEx.  The first problem is it's more expensive to use them.  The second is all of those companies have decided to handle the customs fees for you but in return charge you a brokerage fee.  That brokerage fee is bloody obscene and always, always higher than just the customs fees themselves. 

When I ordered the Maul mini-saber as part of the MR Collector's Club, they used FedEx to ship it.  They also declared the value at double what the actual value was, so basically about $120 CAD.  Well, I had to pay the brokerage fee rather than just the customs stuff.  In the end it was about $50 in total, plus driving to the FedEx depot because they were delivering only while I was at work ::)  So a $50 US item cost me $100 in the end.  MR was no help at all.  I emailed them to complain about the double declaration value and they were so messed up by the whole notion that they just never bothered to respond.  They screwed up and went  :-X  I didn't complain about the brokerage fee or choice of shipper, just that they cost me twice as much as they should have in brokerage fees. 

Same deal with most other retailers from the US - FedEx/UPS/DHL.  BLech, no thanks. 

My other option is to get stuff shipped to a US address and have someone forward that crap here.  I've had a ton, an absolute freaking ton of help from people getting stuff - Scott, chuckles, JediMac, jadesfire, Jeff and so very many more that it's been unreal.  chuckles in particular is a great help as he also allows me to use his address for US only ebay auctions.  But it becomes burdensome and annoying to those people and to their spouses as well, so I try to minimize that.  chuckles/Jim is the exception because I'm able to help him out with some orders of stuff online and then I pay for stuff for him and that offsets the shipping of my stuff to me.  It's a great partnership but there's no doubt I'm the major beneficiary. 

HTS.com is a pretty good option overall, but they don't carry everything (DC, Mattel, McFarlane, etc) and then they don't necessarily have everything I want in stock at a given time anyway.  THey've also managed to hose me on shipping even when I've clearly checked ship only when everything is in stock - they'll ship piecemeal and charge me for the shipping.  Yeah, I can go and chase them and get the shipping charges reversed, but that's a pain in the ass too. 

But it can be cheaper when I go Newforce, providing the case assortments are right.  The biggest thing I'm lacking is a network like the MN group where I can move extras.  'Most' stuff gets here, so people just buy it at retail.  Some doesn't and they seem to find it elsewhere.  I'm only able to move stuff when it's below retail and costing me money, not really worth it.

Doing this collecting thing for 13+ years is a bit of a grind and I think I'm wearing down.  I'm not going to stop, but I'm just losing so much interest in stuff and it's seemingly just a way better strategy to get stuff a couple of years when some fool, just like me, is clearing out loose stuff for a fraction of the original cost.   :-\

Sorry, not meaning to turn this into a bitch fest, just trying to explain more than anything else. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05 AM »
Looks like the Classics Series 2 is hitting the midwest.  I saw some on ebay from a St. Louis seller the other day and I found the two Supermen at Target in the KC area yesterday.  I'm hoping to hit up a couple of Targets on lunch today and with any luck I'll score the rest.  I'm anxious to pick up Manta and Harley.

John

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 04:58 PM »
This makes me a bit nervous.  The local comic shop that I bought series 1 from said that series 2 hasn't even been solicited through diamond.  And I know that I never get around to toy stores with enough frequency to find these things.  I'm looking forward to getting them, and my 3 year old is really looking forward to building Gorilla Grodd (though he's more excited about Solomon Grundy in series 3).  Ah well, if all else fails I suppose there is ebay.  I prefer not to go that route though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #19 on: April 7, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Has anyone been finding Series 2 about at retail yet?  I've seen a few reports of it being found across the country, but it doesn't seem to be widespread yet.  Our local Target has had the same Penguin in the pegs for awhile now, but there is the "grey sticker" on the pegs, if that means anything.  Hopefully they'll be in soon.  TRU has had a pretty decent stock of Wave 1, but it does seem like these have been selling pretty well in general around here.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #20 on: April 7, 2008, 12:07 PM »
I saw 1 Superman Red figure at Target last week, thats been it though.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #21 on: April 7, 2008, 02:40 PM »
All I've seen are the two Supermen that one day.  I've hit Target, TRU and even K-Mart countless times since then with no luck.  :\

John

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #22 on: April 7, 2008, 05:45 PM »
I found everything except Aquaman on Saturday at Target...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 07:35 AM »
I found everything except Aquaman on Saturday at Target...

I found everything except Aquaman yesterday at TRU...

Pretty happy overall.  A few minor complaints about loose joints but I'm glad to have these in the collection.  Even found an excuse to buy electric Supes - just give him to my son and keep Grodd's arm.  He had his choice, red or blue.  He picked blue and now electric Supes is fighting the Foot Clan with the Ninja Turtles.  ;D

Now I have to wait for the greatest wave of action figures ever...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:51 AM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 07:45 PM »
I also found everything except aquaman.  And even without an arm, Gorilla Grodd is awesome.  I picked them up at a flea market from a toy dealer - paid about $1.50 more per figure then I would have had I waited to find them at retail - which isn't too bad.  These aren't in Canada yet, so I'm not too worried that I've supported a scalper.  I'm pretty sure the guy just orders case assortments.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 03:09 PM »
I got my shipment from BBTS today with Wave 2, so its nice to be all caught up on these.  I still haven't seen anything aside from an Electric Supes (Blue) at retail, and its nice not to have these to look for with the upcoming Indy push as well.  Anyways, I think the figures are really well done overall - and it seems like Mattel has a winner with this line.  I definitely think they have the advantage of seeing what ToyBiz had done with the Legends line, and it made them even stronger out of the gate.  I originally only planned on getting Harley and Aquaman, but I'm glad to have the whole wave - particularly the Grodd.  I didn't realize it was basically rotocast/hollow, but I don't really mind either.  It still looks quite nice.  I'm really looking forward to Wave 3, there's a lot of my favorites in that wave with Nightwing, Robin, and GL (not to mention Grundy and the rest).  Hopefully it isn't too long of a wait for that wave.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Amok Time has wave 2 in stock.  Got mine ordered today.  :)

John

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #27 on: May 1, 2008, 10:14 AM »
OK, so what's the deal with Firestorm?  On the packages and in Mattel photos he's a black dude.  At Toy Fair he was a black dude.  But *every* figure I've seen so far (including every current eBay auction) he's a white dude.  Is a black dude version out there, or did Mattel just change their mind and decide to make him a white dude?

John (the other white dude)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #28 on: May 1, 2008, 10:24 AM »
The black dude is the variant (and the current Firestorm in the comics).  I don't think the revised cases with him in it have been released yet.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #29 on: May 2, 2008, 09:03 AM »
My understanding is that the alternate firestorm and aquaman aren't really variants (same as Red Tornado from wave 1).  They are, but they aren't chase figures (with skewed ratios).  Rather, the first release of the figures is supposed to have the classic look of the characters, after which each release will alternate the figure.  Can't remember where I read that, and don't know if it's true.  But the next batch of released figures should have the modern look of the characters.