Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 4  (Read 13764 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
DC Universe Classics Wave 4
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Wave 4 was partially revealed...

Cyborg
Wonder Woman

Both of which look amazing!!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10451
« Last Edit: March 4, 2010, 02:47 PM by Scott »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: DC Universe Classics Wave 4
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Wonder Woman looks really good. I am not sure where they were today though. I was in the Mattel both and all they had were the DC 3 3/4 line and the Goon from the movie masters line which actually looked much better than the pictures. I actually want to pick it up now. I am not sure if it has been discussed yet but the pack-in for the Movie masters line is crime scene evidence. A mini jokers mask was the pack-in for the Goon.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:57 PM »
I am not sure where they were today though. I was in the Mattel both and all they had were the DC 3 3/4 line and the Goon from the movie masters line which actually looked much better than the pictures.

Mattel has a separate off-site showroom (like Hasbro) which is where the majority of the DC stuff is shown...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:22 AM »
Are you going to wander over and try and talk them out of some GL stuff? ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:03 AM »
TNI has a nice gallery up of Mattel's offerings at Toy Fair (the link is for the DCUC line).  Looking through those pics, its really tough to find much to complain about in the DCUC figures.  They really all looks pretty nicely done, and its tough for me to not want to pick them all up.  I'm glad we got a little preview of Wave 4, but Wonder Woman and Cyborg look great.  Its probably just the fact that so many of the "big guns" have been taken care of in Marvel Legends, but the DCUC line seems to be generating a little more buzz right now (and since Hasbro has taken over Legends).  As long as distribution is good, Mattel might have a winner here.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:46 AM »
As long as distribution is good, Mattel might have a winner here.
*shudder*

Not really Mattel's strong suit, is it? :-\  Here's hoping they do better.  Thus far (based on wave 1 only) they've at least had the case ratios done properly.  I can always find that second Batman lying around in stores but given it is Batman, that's not a bad thing.  It's far and away the most likely figure to be picked up by a non-collector at random, so well done. 

The new stuff does look good as well, especially the BAFs.  I just wish there was a way around buying the whole set of figures though.  I look at the pictures in the gallery and think: don't want/need Robin, Deathstroke, Nightwing, Firestorm, Superman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, Black Manta and don't really need a second Aquaman, though I'll get it.   Out of 12 known figures that's nine I don't really want, but the Grundy BAF is stellar and the Grodd BAF is pretty nice too, especially now that they've moved to larger BAFs.  If I discount the Cyborg/WW from the other wave, it's 7/10 I don't want?  Yikes!

Yeah, I know.  I'll rationalize my way to getting them ::)  I don't own a Nightwing (there's a reason for that) and this Robin, while not classic colors is pretty nice.  I don't own a Deathstroke (there isn't a reason really, just not my fave).  I don't own the Black Manta, but that's really close to, if not identical to, the Alex Ross version plus it is an Aquaman villain, so I'll relent and get it.  I'll get the Aquaman because it is somewhat different from the Ross version and is likely to be more in scale to the Black Manta than the Ross version would be.  I'll chuck the Superman to the kid across the street and I'll use Firestorm for target practice.  There, that should cover it.   :-X ::)

Oh by the way, do we know the BAF for series 4?  I'm working on my plans for discarding the Wonder Woman (to my daughter) and Cyborg figures already. 

Anyone not wanting their BAF parts from the following, LMK:
Nightwing
Robin
Black Manta
Aquaman
Superman
 ;)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I'm hoping to get a Wonder Woman, so you can have my spare BAF from her if that helps.  :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Do we even know what the series 4 BAF is?  I sure don't recall, but I'll take the part, thanks ;)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:28 AM »
No word on who it is yet.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 03:58 PM »
There seems to be pretty good excitement about this line here, reminds me of the earlier Marvel Legends days.  I thought it might be fun to post some lists of figures we want to see next, like we did in the ML thread.  I realize its early on, and there's a whole universe to get to over the next few years, but who are some characters you'd like to see?  Here's a run-down of what is confirmed so far, first of all:

Wave 1
Batman (Classic)
Penguin
Orion
Red Tornado
Etrigan
Metamorpho BAF

Wave 2
Harley Quinn
Aquaman (plus modern variant)
Black Manta
Firestorm (plus classic variant)
Superman Blue (plus Red variant)
Gorilla Grodd BAF

Wave 3
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Nightwing
Robin
Sinestro (plus Sinestro Corps variant)
Deathstroke (plus maskless variant)
Solomon Grundy BAF

Wave 4
Wonder Woman
Cyborg

I think we're supposed to see the rest of Wave 4 revealed at NYCC, which isn't too bad (knowing 4 out of the 5 waves by the end of April or so).  Anyways, here's a few figures I'd like to see:

1. Flash (I'm a Wally West fan, but Barry Allen would be fine too)
2. Green Arrow
3. Martian Manhunter
4. Hawkman
5. The Riddler
6. Black Canary
7. The Question (Vic Sage)
8. Zatanna
9. Dr. Fate
10. The Atom (Ray Palmer)
11. Vigilante (I like the "old west" version)
12. Captain Marvel
13. Kalibak
14. Hawkgirl
15. Cheetah
16. Captain Cold
17. Poison Ivy
18. Alfred the Butler/Commissioner Gordon/Lois Lane/etc.
19. Ras al Ghul
20. Mr. Miracle

Ultra Humanite (BAF)
Giganta (BAF)

I know there are lots of others (villains especially) that I'm forgetting, but those are some of my favorites off the top of my head.  Aside from Batman and Detective Comics (and the Super Powers show/toyline), I didn't really read much DC growing up (although that has changed).  Beyond that, a lot of my knowledge of these characters started with the Justice League/JLU cartoons (which is why I like the Question, Vigilante, etc.)
« Last Edit: March 4, 2008, 04:21 PM by Brian »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2008, 11:17 PM »
I have seen all of W1 lining the pegs for what seems like several months now.  When the heck are we going to get to W2 & W3?  Cripes, GI Joe has gone through six waves already!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2008, 11:47 PM »
who are some characters you'd like to see? 

1.  Flash (either Barry or Wally, no Bart or Jay please)
2.  Guy Gardner (Yellow Ring costume)
3.  Kyle Rayner (his new GL costume, none of that original or Ion suit crap)
4.  Any alien GLs!

;D 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #12 on: March 5, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Here's some pics of DCUC Wave 2, courtesy of AFTimes.com.  The whole wave looks pretty nifty.  After seeing pics of these again, and really wanting the BAF Grodd, I'm thinking about ordering a set online.  DC stuff has never been the easiest find around here (although I have seen all of Wave 1, so hopefully that's changing), and I don't want to miss some of the figs in this wave (Harley and Aquaman in particular - and Grodd).  I could care less for the Red/Blue Supermen, and was on the fence with Firestorm, but these darn BAFs are going to get me each time.  At least out of the three full waves we know, there has been only one figure I really didn't want at all (Electric Supes).  The others I can justify having, I guess :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #13 on: March 5, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for the link Brian, it's really helpful.  There is a different version of the Grodd on the pegs at my comic store right now.  It's an Alex Ross version, but it is quite large as well (the Ross figures tend to be about an inch taller than the DCU figures in most cases).  I'm contemplating picking it up now that there's a good comparison shot of Grodd relative to the other figures.  This is a really, really nice version of Grodd.  But if I opt for the other version, I can skip everything in this wave except for Harley Quinn. 

Here's a pick of the Ross version of Grodd (Jeff, have you picked up that GL figure yet?):

Now I have to decide which to get?  I do like the BAF version better looking at the pic above, but I'm looking at $10 for Quinn and $15 for Grodd and done.  Otherwise I'm doubling the cost.  Anyone out there picking up any of Aquaman/Black Manta/Superman/Aquaman/Firestorm and not keeping their Grodd pieces? :-\
« Last Edit: March 5, 2008, 12:19 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #14 on: March 7, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Someone at the Fwoosh forums has posted some detailed pics of Wonder Woman and Cyborg from the Four Horsemen's MySpace page.  Nothing we haven't seen before, but some pretty detailed pics for those who are interested.  They both look pretty good to me.