Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 4  (Read 13760 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 10:11 AM »
This line is sucking wind everywhere I go.  Serious heating up the pegs even more than the Marvel Legends figs.  :(

Not around here.  My local TRU has just two Demons on the pegs and this store got at least four cases of wave 1 that I saw and 1 case of wave 2.  Target's pegs have been bare for about a month.  Contrast that to the Brood wave, which just isn't moving at all - even the "decent" figs like Hydra Soldier, Cap and Black Knight.  Granted this probably has to do with the newness of DCUC and the general excitement of the line but Mattel is kicking Hasbro's ass in the 6" superhero action figure category.

Not here either.  So far, these pretty much fly off the pegs.  Target has a lone Penguin, and TRU has an Orion and Electric Blue Supes (which bugs me because I know I missed the rest of this wave).  I'm really hoping it will start hitting a little heavier soon.  I have a set preordered as a back up right now, but I'd just as soon find them locally.

Like I've said before, overall I'm more of a Marvel guy - but I find myself more excited for the DCUC toyline.  Part of that might be that all the "big guns" - and then some - were tackled by ToyBiz through their 15 waves, and Hasbro has gotten to some of the requested figures that were left.  There are still some characters I'd pick up from the Legends line, but not nearly what it used to be.  As far as the pegs, Legends keeps them nice and toasty around here - at all the stores.  Target has Quicksilvers and Wave 3 stuff, and WM and TRU both have pegs full of Wave 3 last I checked.  Oh, and TRU has lots of the Emma and Black Queen exclusives.  Like Mikey said, I think that Mattel is really dominating in the 6" superhero action figure category now - and who would think we'd be saying that after mishandling the Batman and He-Man lines (and the crappy movie lines).

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #31 on: September 8, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Wave 4 packaged pics

Apparently, these will be hitting online stores shortly.  Ordered my case last week, hopefully I don't get stuck with that horrendous gold Captain Atom.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #32 on: September 8, 2008, 07:03 PM »
hopefully I don't get stuck with that horrendous gold Captain Atom.

I agree, thats one variant i really do not want.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58 PM »
Ares and Wonder Woman look awesome!  Kudos to DC on continuously improving this line. 

For us non DC folks - who is Artemis?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Artemis is a supporting character in the WW books.   

She became a "replacement" Wonder Woman back in the 90s when DC decided it was "cool" to kill/replace all their characters as stunts.  Basically, Hippolyta (WW's mom) had a dream that WW was going to die.  Hippolyta decided to have a contest to make sure the "best" amazonian held the Wonder Woman title and then she rigged it so that Artemis would win and the "real" WW would lose (to protect her from the death).

So, Artemis got to be Wonder Woman for a while.  Along with the title, she got all sorts of attitude from the JLA for not being the "real" WW.  Then, to top it off, she got killed just like Hippolyta's vision allowing the real WW to get her job back...  until she died (which is a whole other story  ::)).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 12:46 PM »
ActionFigureTimes has some pics up of Wave 4 and Wave 5 (WM Exclusive) if anyone is interested.  There's also some upcoming JLU stuff and the Target ML wave.  Nothing we haven't seen before, but some more detailed shots of the figures in hand.

I'm wondering if Mattel's shipping/distribution is going to improve.  Its always been a problem for them it seems, and I know here locally DCUC has been next to impossible to find aside from Wave 1 (which still isn't plentiful by any means, usually just an Etrigan or Red Tornado here or there).  Wave 2 came and went quickly at TRU (and nowhere else) here, and now TRU doesn't even have a spot for DCUC.  I've seen Green Lantern at Target a few times, but nothing else from Wave 3 (which I got online).  I've gotten Waves 2 and 3 (with 4 preordered) online, but with cutting back to just 2-3 figures per wave most likely, I'm glad that some places online might be having individual figures up for order as well.  Maybe things will improve, but around here the Mattel stuff seems real spotty still at this point.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #36 on: October 5, 2008, 10:04 PM »
Found part of wave 4 (Ares) at a Target in Kansas City on the weekend.  Unfortunately the only store I hit and the only figure there.  Hoping Walmart here starts in again on the line with Christmas season not that far off. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #37 on: October 5, 2008, 11:25 PM »
Found part of wave 4 (Ares) at a Target in Kansas City on the weekend.

You should have looked me up while you were here.  I could have given you that Red Hulk piece.   ;D

Do you remember which Target you found it at?

And on the subject, the only wave 2 and 3 figures I've seen here were the two wave 2 Superman figures (when the wave first hit) and a Robin from wave 3.  Distribution here has all but died.

John
« Last Edit: October 5, 2008, 11:31 PM by JohnH »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #38 on: October 6, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Jeez, sorry John, I didn't know you were in KC.  It would have been very nice to meet you and possibly even see your collection. 

It was the Ward Parkway Target.  At least I think that's the name, down in a little mall between the Ward Parkway and Stateline Road. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #39 on: October 6, 2008, 09:45 AM »
And on the subject, the only wave 2 and 3 figures I've seen here were the two wave 2 Superman figures (when the wave first hit) and a Robin from wave 3.  Distribution here has all but died.

Yeah, I'm still curious about the distribution on this line as well.  I haven't really seen anything around town lately aside from Red Tornado and Etrigan, and the only Wave 3 figure I've seen at retail is Green Lantern, but that's been a few weeks ago.  I preordered Waves 2 and 3 online, and already have those, but I've stopped ordering the entire waves (lack of interest in some characters, and can't afford it), so I hope that the retail situation picks up, or we'll have more opportunities now to do single character orders online (like the CornerStoreComics situation mentioned earlier).  I definitely want to get a Wonder Woman from Wave 4, and possibly Cyborg and Batman Beyond as well.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #40 on: October 7, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Found part of wave 4 (Ares) at a Target in Kansas City on the weekend. 

I just caught this...you found them at Target?  I had always thought they were Wal Mart exclusives, and the ones I found at Wal Mart today had exclusive stickers on them.

BTW, they were only $10.44.  Freakin' sweet.  :)  No Crossbones, Guardian or Vision but I did get the rest including the Human Torch variant.

John

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #41 on: October 7, 2008, 03:04 PM »

I just caught this...you found them at Target?  I had always thought they were Wal Mart exclusives, and the ones I found at Wal Mart today had exclusive stickers on them.

I believe Brent found the DC Ares figure, not the Marvel Walmart Ares wave.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #42 on: October 7, 2008, 04:11 PM »
Now why would I know he was talking about DC?  It's not like he said "wave 4", not like he said he found Ares himself, not like he mentioned it in a DC thread.  Sheesh, you expect me to actually pay attention to what people are saying? 

:-[ ;D :-[

Guess I just have Marvel on the brain at the moment.  Sorry folks. 

John

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #43 on: October 9, 2008, 01:22 PM »
I would just like to see this line.  I have waves 1&2, and haven't seen anything else.  This line is really frustrating me, because I'm more interested in these figures then any other line right now.  But I can't find them anywhere.  I'm tempted to get them online, but am concerned about buying cases.  From wave 4, I want the regular wonder woman and the silver Capt. Atom.  I wouldn't want to order a case and risk getting stuck with the others (and still not have the ones I want).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #44 on: October 9, 2008, 02:52 PM »
Yeah, I think distribution continues to be a big problem for Mattel (at least around here).  Granted, I did see Wave 3 (except for Nightwing) at our local Target yesterday - but I had already gotten a set online.  Otherwise, Wave 2 came and went quite quickly (and only at TRU) around here, and Wave 1 seems to have a few figures still on the pegs here and there (usually Red Tornado and Etrigan it seems).  I don't mind ordering a set of a wave online if I want basically the whole lineup (like Wave 3), but like I mentioned earlier I'm trying to get more selective with what I buy, this line in particular.  I really want the WW from Wave 4, and wouldn't mind having Cyborg and Batman Beyond as well - but I just can't bring myself to order a $70 (plus shipping) set online to get those three figures.  It looks like waves in 2009 and forward it might be easier to order individual figures (I hope), so that might eliminate the problem.

If I had to rely on retail for this line (or the previous DCSH line), I'd be out of luck I think.  I can't imagine how "casual buyers" who may not visit stores 1-3 times a week (like many of us do) would have any hope of finding the majority of what they want - but that goes for a lot of lines these days.  There's just so much stuff out there, and the turnover between waves is so quick, its often "blink and you miss it" with a lot of lines - Star Wars included sometimes.  I miss the "good old days", where you could - for the most part - walk into a store and pick up almost any character you were looking for.

As a side note, I was just checking BBTS and see that they have single figure orders available (similar to CSC mentioned earlier) for Waves 6 and 7.  I've always had very good luck doing business there, if anyone is interested.  I wish they had orders for Wave 4 as well, but I think that is before the "online single ordering" policy Mattel has for the upcoming waves.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2008, 03:01 PM by Brian »