Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 5  (Read 5816 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics Wave 5
« on: April 19, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Just got back from NYCC and the new stuff looks awesome. I went up after  the MOTU panel so i didnt get a chance to memorize everyone in these new waves but the SDCC figure is Lobo and he looks incredible. As i remember more stuff i will try to post it.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2010, 03:56 PM by Scott »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Here you go Dan...

Wave 4 - Despero CnC
Wonder Woman (and Artemis variant)
Cyborg
Capt. Atom (and Kingdom Come variant)
Ares
Batman Beyond

Walmart exclusive wave (wave 5?) - Metallo CnC
Amazo
Atom
Riddler
Black Lightning
Eradicator (Reign of Supermen version)

Wave 6 (no pics or CnC revealed yet that I've seen)
Hawkman
Mr. Miracle
Superman (Reign of Supermen version - black suit, no cape, long hair)

2 Packs
Batgirl (Barbara) / Azrael
Orion (no helmet) / Lightray

SDCC Exclusive Lobo and Dawg

All in all, not too bad.  Pretty diverse and still plenty of heavy hitters left for future waves.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:11 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:04 PM »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 07:10 PM »
Yeah that covers everything  ;D. This year looks like an expensive one with all these lines i am into.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:20 PM »
Not bad stuff.  I couldn't get pic 5 to load, so not sure what that was.  But I'm  both impressed with the lineup and pleased I won't want everything or the CnC's that have been announced, so my parts are up for grabs ;D  On first look, here's what I'll likely be after. 

Wave 4 - Despero CnC
Wonder Woman (and Artemis variant)
Capt. Atom (and Kingdom Come variant)

Walmart exclusive wave (wave 5?) - Metallo CnC
Atom
Riddler

Wave 6 (no pics or CnC revealed yet that I've seen)
Hawkman

2 Packs
Batgirl (Barbara) / Azrael

SDCC Exclusive Lobo and Dawg

Where's Flash? :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:35 AM »
Still seeing full sets of Wave 1 all around Minnesota.   :P

I'll probably get Wonder Woman (and Artemis variant if I can find it) out of this, but that's it. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:04 AM »
canonball over at the fwoosh managed to snap a pic of the wave 6 sneak peek at the panel discussion.  You can see it on This page

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08 AM »
I thought the lineups looked really good (thanks for the listings and pics in the thread here guys).  I'm almost surprised how obscure and varied they are starting out with the line this year.  I'm a little disappointed in the lack of Flash (or GA), but I guess I can understand why they would spread things out.  Its surprising to see that a wave is WM exclusive, after them earlier refusing to carry the line here in the US.  I guess that's how they got them on board.  It looks like that is a "bonus" wave, so there will maybe be 6 waves of 5 this year instead of the originally planned 5.  Nice to see some of the older figures make it out in those two packs for those who missed them.  Here's what I'm planning on picking up, as of now (budget pending):

Wave 4 - Despero
Wonder Woman
Cyborg
Batman Beyond

Wave 5 - Metallo (WM Exc.)
Riddler
Atom

Wave 6
Hawkman
Mr. Miracle (maybe)

I'm on the fence with the Lightray/Orion two pack.  I already have the regular Orion, and although I do enjoy the new gods stuff, I don't now if I need Lightray.  That one will depend on budget.  I'd like to get the SDCC exclusive Lobo, but it depends on how easy that is to get.  Hopefully Mattel will get an online store going by that time, similar to Hasbro.

Again, looking at things, I'm surprised by a number of the character selections.  Checking out the lineups, it really makes the upcoming Wave 3 look even more amazing.  They probably could have used Robin and/or Nightwing to anchor their own waves, and we're getting new versions along with a Green Lantern.  That's just a heck of a wave.  Looks like a nicely rounded first year for the DCUC, hopefully they're doing well and will continue on for awhile.  I'm guessing we'll see a few more of the big guns (Flash, GA, MM) in 2009.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:33 AM »
Man, this line is gonna break me.  It's the only thing I'm actively collecting right now, so I guess that's alright.  So far, I'm liking all the characters.  I don't really care about the variants  - which is good, cause that Capt. Atom is awful.  I'm surprised/pleased to see the Perez-style Aries.  I must admit, I never thought I would own a figure of that.  And it's nice to see more of the 4th world stuff.

The biggest problem for me will be trying to find it all.

And yeah - I would love to get my hands on that Lobo.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:34 AM »
Oh yeah, got my Aquaman this weekend.  Really nice details on him - he may be my favorite of this wave.  Nice to complete Grodd too.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 10:07 AM »
The Fwoosh has a pdf up of Mattel's slide show presentation, if anyone is interested.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I'm down for almost everything.  Don't really want Batman Beyond, so I call dibs on Brian's piece.  :P

I loved the Reign of Supermen storyline, so I'm going to buy all the related figures for it.  Already have Steel and will add Eradicator and Recovery Suit Superman.  Now all Mattel needs to do is re-release the Cyborg Superman and give us a jacketed Superboy and I'd be all set.  Maybe the CnC for wave 6 would be a huge add Doomsday for added oomph.

I'm still undecided on Lightray, too.  If I hadn't already had an Orion, I'd buy it in a minute.  Just don't need to be buying duplicates of figures this early in the game.  If it was Desaad, Kalibrak, Big Barda, or a parademon instead of Lightray, maybe I'd buy it.  Lightray isn't the first character I think of when I think of New Gods and the Fourth World.

And that SDCC Lobo is sick.  Too early to start a begging thread?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I'm down for almost everything.  Don't really want Batman Beyond, so I call dibs on Brian's piece.

I thought of you right away when I saw your "to do" list while updating mine earlier Mikey.  I'm still on the fence with the BAF, because a part of me wouldn't mind having Despero - and I like Captain Atom a bit as well - but budget might be limiting me a little bit.  If I don't go in for the whole wave, you're welcome to it most definitely.  I imagine quite a few people will pass on Batman Beyond, but I remember watching that show with my younger brother on the weekends - he was at the right age for it at the time - so I kind of have fond memories of the character.

Like you, I'm tempted to be in for almost everything as well.  If it wasn't for the big Star Wars push this year (especially July on), I probably would be.  For some reason, I'm just pretty jazzed about this line right now - and even with the somewhat obscure/varied lineup, everything looks pretty great.  I'm not super psyched about Marvel Legends right now, so it might make it easier to collect this line.  I'm just hoping distribution will be good with these, and things won't be too tough to find.  I don't care about the variants really (so far), as long as I can find the regular figs.  I've got the next two waves (2/3) preordered just in case, but I'd sooner get them at retail.  All in all, its looking great.  I do think Mattel/DC has the advantage of seeing what worked/didn't work with the Legends line for 15+ waves.  Pretty much all of their product has come out of the gate really strong, from what I've seen or read.

On a side note, what did everyone think of the 4"-ish scale Infinite Heroes line from Mattel?  It sounds like it should be a fairly inexpensive line, and it looks like they're keeping it simple as far as articulation and everything goes.  I could see it being a fun line to get a wide DC universe at a smaller scale (Commisioner Gordon and GCPD even), and would be fun for kids - but with the DCUC figures looking so nice, I think I'll just stick with those.  The sculpts/paint apps/etc. seem to be a bit better overall.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:07 PM by Brian »

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Re: DC Universe Classics
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Just about the best news DCUC collectors could hear:

Wave 5 will be re-released!

This release is identical to the one in 2008 − same package, same decos, not a single change to the figures. Like all our boxed sets, these are individually carded figures packed into a single box. The set has the five figures you need to build a 9” Collect and Connect™ Metallo  figure.

They didn't post the price, but I suspect they'll go higher than the $15 they're charging for current figures.  I'm guessing $100 for the set.  Still...much better than $400 on eBay.

John

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Classics
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 02:57 AM »
What figures come with this wave?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today