Author Topic: Marvel Legends Wave 4  (Read 13586 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2003, 03:32 PM »
Nothing round these parts yet, but I expect them to hit soon.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2003, 11:54 PM »
Canada should see series IV around September, if timing holds true :-[
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 12:55 PM »
I was just thinking about this line and was curious...for those of you who collect this line, do you also buy/collect comic books, or did you in the past?  Personally, I don't buy any comics now, but I was into them bigger in the late 80's early 90's, and these figures really re-awoke that nostalgia.  I have considered getting back into comics for a title or two, but haven't broken down and started spending money on something else :).  I was just curious if you Marvel Legend collectors were also comic collectors, or just former comic fans (and fans of the characters)?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 01:14 PM »
Long time comic book reader (with a few breaks in between) to this day.  Marvel was always the fav publisher of mine but I do enjoy the occasional DC book.  I'm like you, mosnab, I as just started collecting this line and I'm glad I did.  Although Star Wars will always be my first collecting love, these figs are a welcome addition to my toy collection.

And if you're interested in getting back into comics, may I suggest Ultimate Spiderman.  The first 35+ issues are in TPB form (the latest being the Venom arc).  I just started reading this book about 3 months ago based on the recommendations of the guys over at galactichunter and am really impressed.  The writing and art is top notch and its an excellent spin on a well known and iconic character.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 03:13 PM »
Yeah, long time comic book reader, though I phased out buying in the early to mid-90's when there were 18 variant covers and prices started hitting the $5 mark.  Just too expensive for so little return.  

Marvel was my line of choice, though some  DC titles were fine too, some Dark Horse, Image and a few others.  I'd happily part with most of my comics but they just aren't worth anything anymore.  Not even close to cover price.  

Spidey and X-men were faves, Batman would be my DC fave.  

Good entertainment but I lost the taste for them with all the chase covers, the absurd pricing and the boobiferous trend that was determining value at the time versus content.  Not for kids anymore methinks.  Pity.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 03:44 PM »
I'm a longtime comic reader myself who also took a 'breather' in the 90's mostly because I was poor.  I always kept an eye on comics and started reading them again in 2001.  I'd also definitely recommend Ultimate Spider-Man, which one of the two best superhero titles out there, the other being Batman.  

Jango Fettish

Marvel Legends
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2003, 08:47 PM »
I just grew up on comic book characters via TV, really. I was literally forced into sports all my life, so i had little time for anything else.

But, I watched Spidey on The Electric Company religiously, The Incredible Hulk TV show, Super Powers, Superfriends, etc. I had a Hawkman Super Power fig as a bath toy, lol.

Anywho, fast forward to the 90's. I watched the X Men cartoon like it as going out of style. If they ever get that on DVD, it's mine. Not the last 2 seasons where it went crappy and hardly anyone picked it up, I'm talking early 90's debut.

It's just kind of fun to get figures of your old school fav. characters, and have them done in todays specs, i.e. mad articulation, likeness, etc.

Next wave, I'll just be gettin' Gambit and possibly Beast. I'm moreso anticipating the Blade 2 fig to go w/ my 12" Blade which I absolutely adore.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Legends
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2003, 01:50 AM »
I love the X-books. I never bothered to read DC comics, because a guy with awesome powers, a square jawline, a beautiful love interest, and a killer bod is something I can't relate to. Neither could I relate to a millionaire who dresses in tights.

I could relate to Marvel's angsty characters because my life has been a living hell since age 10, much like many of Marvel's characters. Misery loves company. I'm sure Batman and Superman have their own problems, but their lives aren't totally in the s***ter like Wolverine's.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 01:51 AM by HMI »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2003, 12:06 PM »
I've always been much more of a Marvel fan.  Especially when it comes to the X-Men and several of their offshoot books.  I was also reading Thor, The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Captain America...the list just goes one.

I read a few DC titles, but not much.  The Flash and Green Lantern were pretty much the extent of it.  I never really could understand the appeal of Superman, and I guess I missed the boat on Batman.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2003, 04:13 PM »
I've always been more into Marvel as well, on the superhero end of it.  Most of what I read comes from Vertigo.  Those are some of the best comics out there.  The only superhero titles I read are Ultimate Spidey and Jim Lee's Batman.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2003, 09:36 AM »
I just had to share with you fellow collectors....my wonderful wife surprised me and gave me Gambit and Beast for my birthday today.  Apparently she found them at TRU, and they were the last ones there.  I didn't get too much of a chance to mess with the figures this morning before work, but they both did look amazing.  I've really been looking forward to my favorite, Beast, and the figure did not disappoint.  Both of these are amazing, and I think Toy Biz is doing a great job with the Marvel Legends line...I hope it continues for a long time.  Good luck to everyone in their searches!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Legends
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2003, 11:57 AM »
Finally found Wave IV this morning, no Goliath's :-\

Plenty of Beasts and Punishers, this wave could really warm the pegs if the retailers are not careful especially with their wacky case assortments.

I like the look of BEast and Punsiher, Gambit looked cool but Elektra looks horrible.  That neck joint is unforgivable

Dain and I were chatting the other night about how stupid chase figures are.  Chase variants are fine cause I really don't care.  Chase figures though are asinine and only end up pissing more people off than need to be (like me)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2003, 01:09 PM »
Actually, the ML4 case assortment is like this:

4 x Beast
4 x Punisher
3 x Gambit
1 x Elektra

Not sure how many or so cases Goliath is packed into, but they probably pull either Beast or Punisher out of those cases to put in Goliath.

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2003, 01:56 PM »
I found wave IV last night.  Plenty of Punishers and Beasts, no Elektra and one Gambit.  I picked up a Beast and the Gambit for a trade with Scott.  

Beast is an awesome figure.  Looks cool no matter the pose.  Right now, I have him in  a sitting position with his legs crossed like he's reading a book and pondering.  Now if I can only find a book to scale to put in his hand, it'll complete the picture.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2003, 02:07 PM »
Ya gotta wonder why they put Elektra in this assortment, especially since there's a great Elektra in the Marvel Select series.  I actually would've preferred a movie Elektra, myself.

Feedback