Author Topic: GI Joe Convention  (Read 13649 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
GI Joe Convention
« on: March 5, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Anyone here going to the GI Joe con in Rhode Island this year?  I'm going!  It'll be the first one I've been able to attend.

When I lived in York, PA I thought I was going to have the chance to go when it was in DC in 1999, but the weekend landed on August 1st and my job wouldn't let me off that weekend since it was our monthly billing cycle.

Anyway, sent in my registration yesterday and booked a room.  I'm getting the 12" Return to Spy Island set but this was the second time I was tempted to get the 3.75"  set (the other being the 2008 set).

I'm psyched because it's close, but the final thing that sold me was the Hasbro tour that's being offered on Friday which, hopefully, I didn't wait too long to register for.  They're doing 500 people for the tour but 100 of those will get in by lottery, according to the website, while the others are on a first come basis.

E... 
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Convention
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2010, 02:03 AM »
I hoping to go but I'm not sure yet.  Probably going to wait until the last minute to send in my registration fax like last year.

I'm up in the air because I'm driving to the Canadian Joecon in August and not sure if I want to make 2 long trips.  After going to Hamilton last year I don't want to miss the one in Toronto this year.

I've been to every US Joecon since 2005 because once you go to one you are hooked.  It's fun to hang out with other fans, buy toys and travel.  The seminars are one of my favorite things.  Seeing and asking questions of Larry Hama and the 80s creators is the best.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Hope everyone going to the convention has fun.  Unfortunately I won't make it this year.  Not enough funds to make the long journey but if it was closer I would go for sure even without much money.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:30 AM »
I can't be the only one from the JD forums going, can I?  Anyone else?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 04:46 AM »
I should have gone last year when it was in Kansas City. RI is too faraway, especailly when I'm going to Vegas the week after. There needs to be a Joe or Star Wars con in Vegas sometime.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10 AM »
I'm afraid you are the only one going.

It is the same weekend as my Son's Birthday so I did not even try.

Alyosha is out for different reasons.

Next year if the location is convenient and I can make it, I may host a "Joe Defender" dinner or lunch of some sort.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:35 AM »
Well, that kind of sucks. 

I plan on posting photos and updates throughout the weekend.  I'm leaving Saturday night, but I'm taking the Hasbro tour on Friday and I'm planning on attending the Hasbro Q&A on Saturday so there should be some cool things to see.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:19 AM »
I'm leaving for Joe Con in about 45 minutes.  There is already some news about the exclusive souvenirs that was posted last night but only photos of one item, the Z-Force Silver Mirage motorcycle that was a freebie with the 3.75" package.

I'll be posting updates to my site when I have a few minutes.  Here's a direct link: GI Joe coverage

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:00 PM »
First photos up.

They're all from registration and the con store plus the exclusives.  I'll have more detail posted later but tomorrow morning is the big day with the Hassenfeld talk and Hasbro tour.

E...

Edit - fixed broken link.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2010, 01:01 PM by efranks »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:21 PM »
Nice pics Eric....looking forward to more.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:22 AM »
I posted another update with some photos of the souvenirs and the boxed set that I bought.

I got the 12" exclusive and registered as one of the first 100 so I also got one of the 1:6 "leather" convention jackets.  The freebie with the 12" set is a black robot shark like the one included in the box.  The 12" souvenir figure is a Henchman.  He's a vintage style figure with blone flocked foreign head (If you have any of the club membership figs, he's like that) and Kung Fu hands.  He has a full outfit including weapons and makes a really cool addition to the Spy Island set.

I also bought the Q-Force set with Agent Natalie Poole and Lt. Dolphin.  I thought they looked like a cool set in the display cabinet but after I got them out I'm cooling on Natalie, who was the main reason I bought the set.  She uses a Mortal Combat mold and the underside of her hair isn't painted (head is cast in flesh tone).  It just doesn't make a great figure. Dolphin is fine, though.  I'd like to get the 3-pack and the Car as they're all really nice items, but the price is kind of higher than what I want to pay.  I've already dropped a lot of cash and the sales floor isn't even open yet.

Anyway, I also picked up last year's para drop figure, Crimson Guard, and an exclusive 40th Soldier, which was really cheap, only $20.

There were a lot of people buying a lot of stuff tonight.  I was kind of surprised even though I have read reports in previous years about the amount of stuff people have picked up on registration night.  If I had unlimited funds I probably would have  bought both con packages and all the souvenirs, and there are still a few other club items I'd pick up duplicates of.

If anyone want specific photos of something, LMK, and I'll take them if I can.

E...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 02:41 AM »
Great pics from the floor! Thanks for sharing them.  :) Wish I was there.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 02:58 AM »
Can you pleas post a picture of the Red Shadows T-Shirt at the Club Store?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 07:57 AM »
I'll see what I can do about a photo of that and the AT t-shirt.  They weren't really in a position to be photographed last night and neither were in the display cabinet for some reason.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 1, 2010, 03:13 AM »
New Spirit! 

This should be announced during the Q&A today along with a new Quick Kick and an Arctic figure.  There may also be a Low Light on the way based on some pre-production stuff we saw at Hasbro on Friday.

New images from Hasbro's booth are up on my website.  I have some photos from Hasbro and info from the Hassenfeld panel but I'm running short of time to get that posted tonight.  It's like 1810 as far as Internet connection goes here...and ******* expensive.  If freaking McDonalds can give it away this hotel should....

Anyway, no photo yet of that con shirt...it sold out on Preview night but I haven't actually seen one yet.

E...